ramrod

Am I getting scammed?

I recently got an email from a person whom I've never heard of. He gave a list of items that he's selling because he's getting out of the business due to upcoming surgery. He needs the cash and that's the reason he's selling out. Among the list of items is an SK4 skiving machine with vacuum attachment. It's listed for1700 bucks. I'd love to own it and commented on it. We negotiated the price down to 500 bucks, shipped to me. I then asked him how he got my name. He said it was a referral from someone that he had a pending deal with, but the deal fell through. Interestingly, he's never used my first name in the emails.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and I've avoided being scammed to a large degree due to my "gut feeling". This seems and feels real, but it is too good to be true. How can (and why would) someone sell a 2400 dollar machine for 500 bucks shipped. I nvere told him where I lived, either. And, I don't know where he's located. 

I guess I'm answering my own question as to whether I'm being scammed. My aim is to see if anyone else on this forum has been contacted with a similar offer?

You can PM me and I'll give you the name he used.

11 minutes ago, ramrod said:

My aim is to see if anyone else on this forum has been contacted with a similar offer?

I would be very wary. There are a lot of scams around and there was a similar one a couple or so years back regarding sewing equipment. There seems to be a lot of questions that need to be answered. Who referred you, who is he, where is he located, the list goes on and on. If it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't.

kgg

Thank you for the reply.

My mind worked this way:

I figured I'd offer a price that was SO low, he wouldn't take it. My thinking was that if I was gonna buy it, I'd have to steal it to make it worth my effort. But, when he grabbed at this insanely low offer, then I asked myself "wait, why would anyone take this offer when he could easily sell it for double the price?"

28 minutes ago, kgg said:

I would be very wary. There are a lot of scams around and there was a similar one a couple or so years back regarding sewing equipment. There seems to be a lot of questions that need to be answered. Who referred you, who is he, where is he located, the list goes on and on. If it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't.

kgg

When people are getting out of the game they will sometimes sell for whatever I can get.  I've bought leather dirt cheap over the year from folks closing down or bigger companies discontinuing a production run.  Always be careful but occasionally "too good to be true" can happen....I once purchased 600 feet of shell at $2.50 per foot lol!  Now I wish deals like that came along more often!

Sometimes a person with a business has to close and has nowhere to put the stuff so they'll sell dirt cheap.  I keep an eye on equipment auctions and stuff sometimes gets sold at an incredibly low price. 

Based on the item and the price, the same dude sent me an email too (a couple months ago), he said he'd offered me an item or two before...I totally don't remember and I've  lost my older emails but it's possible.   Guy's initials JW?

What is strange to me is that googling him isn't leading to any business I can see, sure lots of people aren't very into the web but it is strange.  His wording and way of writing seems to be lacking...which is common for scams.

Here's my suggestion to find out if it's a scam:  Ask for a picture of the machine, then google search the image.  If it pops up in other places, then there's no machine.  

I have seen these deals go both ways, but yes, there would be some suspicion. He's likely got a minimum of $200 to ship it anywhere, so that is making his skiver about $300. Scenario one - he needs it gone NOW and it is a distressed sale that's legit.  I'd find out where it is and if at all possible - go see it, try it,  and pick it up, shipping savings vs the fuel to get there. If it is really fair away, you buy it untested and sight unseen, hope it is legit, hope it ships without damage, and chance losing $500. Personally I'd make a short drive or pass. I've seen some shut down shop equipment that is pristine, and others that the pictures they sent were from three years old and when I get there I'm looking at a Petri dish of rust.  

2 minutes ago, nstarleather said:

Always be careful but occasionally "too good to be true" can happen....I once purchased 600 feet of shell at $2.50 per foot lol!  

I do agree as I have at auction got good deals and recently got some really nice (600 sq ft of 6-8 oz) leather in approximately 25 square ft hides for 0.70 cad (0.51 cents usd) per square foot as the business owner had recently died. Buys are out there but you need to be cautious.

kgg

I'd be pretty suspicious.  But it could be legit.  I'd find out where the machine is, and if it's a reasonable drive distance - even if you have to take the hit of a night in a hotel, I'd ask to see it and pick up in person, and pay when it's there in front of you!

Just my thought 

- Bill

Awesome guys!! Thank you!

nstarleather.....spot on. Initials JW. what was the content of his correspondence to you if you can remember? 

I'd love it to be legit, but chances are it's not.

I will ask for pics and a location. I should have done that up front. But, I kept thinking this guy knew me and I'd forgotten who he was. So, I just kept going with the "deal".

I just sent an email asking for info and a pic.

1 hour ago, ramrod said:

Awesome guys!! Thank you!

nstarleather.....spot on. Initials JW. what was the content of his correspondence to you if you can remember? 

I'd love it to be legit, but chances are it's not.

I will ask for pics and a location. I should have done that up front. But, I kept thinking this guy knew me and I'd forgotten who he was. So, I just kept going with the "deal".

1st Email: 

Hello,
 I'm selling the rest of my printing  due to ill health 
 if interested leave a text so i can send the list of the items for sale 
thanks 

2nd Email:

yeah they are both leather and embroidery equipment 

these are the items i have to let go 

CS OSBORNE NO 86 $300
HF Osborne splitter $150
LARGE AND SMALL MALLET/CLICKER DIES $300
Used Tajima DC1215 $4700
SWF 4 Head $12000
OKI PRO8432WT Printer $2700
2014 Kornit Breeze $7000
AZON DTF DESKTOP $3600
Techsew SK-4 Leather Skiving Machine with Vacuum Suction $1700
Cobra Class 4 premium package  $2000 
clicker dies $900

I'm deeply sorry if i disturbed we once had a deal sometime ago before my email was down so i decided to check back in to know if you might be interested in one or two items 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I had no need for any of this so it didn't go further.  Here's my clues on both sides:

1: Not Scam: It's a list if pretty unique items, strange way to scam right?  They're offering stuff that's kinda valueless unless you need the very specific item:  Clicker and Mallet dies?  Not worth much without more descriptions. He's also not offering at any "too good to be true" prices to start.  So I'm seeing too much that would be very dumb if they were a scammer...He also didn't push back when I said I wasn't interested.

2: Possibly Scam:  Price lowered but a huge amount when you asked.  Bad grammar/writing.  "Overly polite tone" which I see with lots of scams...like "Deeply sorry", etc.

If I had to guess, I'd assume he's legit but always buyer beware. 

Yup. Exactly the same correspondence he sent to me. No follow up until I showed interest in the skiver. The list of items and prices are the same.

Well, I asked for pics. So, well see how it goes. No reply yet.

I just can't believe he bit on such a lowball offer. THAT'S  what is too good to be true.

8 minutes ago, ramrod said:

I just can't believe he bit on such a lowball offer. THAT'S  what is too good to be true.

Yep that's the biggest red flag!

If I couldn't see it in person and pick it up I'd pass.

and if I did go somewhere to see it with cash in my pocket, I'd be carrying a concealed handgun and also have a male friend with me...just how I would roll on a questionable situation like this one.

well, i'm still dealing with this. he did send pics. its like brand new. anyone in the world would buy this in a heartbeat. i asked why he didn't sell it locally and he said there was simply no interest. hard to believe.

i'll put it to bed today. i'm gonna tell him to ship it and when it gets here, i'll venmo him the money. thank you for all of the replies, guys. i really appreciate it.

it would be gone by now!

good luck friend!!:)

Ask for more pictures, then ask where they are located, actually ask for an address. I had some guy ask me what an old (50 plus years old) and I had asked how he got my name. He states that he got it off of leatherworker.net and stated that I was listed as a moderator - I knew he was lying his tail off. 

He sent a picture of an old machine that was dusty and rusted then told me that he has a number of leather cutting dies, I told him that the machine is only worth $200 because of the age, also added that if he gets the dies together I would work with him. His email name is Ken Young. 

If he contacts ya again - screw with him a bit and get hold of another member here on leather worker, make him think that you know another guy willing to pay twice what he wants. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander 

I've been following this

Sometimes the old saying 'if its too good to be true then it is' often holds true

But sometimes, bargains can be had, people just want rid of things, they need either the space or just get rid of an ex's garbage

In the plastic modelling world over here we often come across a modeller's 'stash' being sold off very cheaply because his/her ex or widow just wants rid of it all

And I'm reminded of a sale a very long time ago; a lady near where I lived sold a low-mileage, almost new, part customized, Roll Royce car for £1. Why? it needed a new interior, or the interior well cleaned, because her husband had blown his head off inside the car. She wanted the car gone

Check everything out carefully and go with gut instinct

5 hours ago, ramrod said:

well, i'm still dealing with this. he did send pics. its like brand new. anyone in the world would buy this in a heartbeat. i asked why he didn't sell it locally and he said there was simply no interest. hard to believe.

i'll put it to bed today. i'm gonna tell him to ship it and when it gets here, i'll venmo him the money. thank you for all of the replies, guys. i really appreciate it.

My gut says it’s legit.  Too random of items to be scamming…especially clicker and mallet dies.   I’ve got loads of old dies and unless you have a complete pattern and it’s something you want to make, they have very little value.  

Like if I were gonna scam a leather worker for $500, I’d say I’ve got a higher Desirable leather at a rock bottom price…as well as other more desirable/common machines/tools.  To me the list seems too random to be a scam…

Did he just show a pic of the Skiving machine or has shown any pics of the other items he is selling, reason i ask if he just showing you the skiving machine pic it could be just a random pic , but if he is showing more pics of what he is selling check that it seems they are in the same workshop or being stored in the same place at least and not just randoms pics of the things he says is selling.

Hope this helps

JCUK

@ramrod forgot to ask did you google image search the picture?

he just showed a pic of the skiver. it wasn't in a shop. looked like it was in a spare bedroom. there was paperwork near it. i zoomed in on it but couldn't read what it was. also said there was no real interest in any of the rest of the stuff. hard to believe. he said he'd ship the skiver if i put half down and promised to pay the balance upon receipt. i did bow out of the deal, but he still wants to ship it. 

nstarleather....i tried to google that pic but i don't know how. tried 5 ways til sunday to do it. 

On 12/30/2022 at 11:24 AM, nstarleather said:

My gut says it’s legit.  Too random of items to be scamming…especially clicker and mallet dies.   I’ve got loads of old dies and unless you have a complete pattern and it’s something you want to make, they have very little value.  

Like if I were gonna scam a leather worker for $500, I’d say I’ve got a higher Desirable leather at a rock bottom price…as well as other more desirable/common machines/tools.  To me the list seems too random to be a scam…

i keep going back to this, too. it just feels like there is a grain of legit to it. if only a grain.

what i'm gonna do is tell him to ship it and i'll pay in full when i see it. it's the only way i can have no exposure in this game. 

doc and fred....thank you for your input, too.

To me, its a gamble; how much do you want the splitter and how much can you afford to loose?

I no longer gamble, but when I did I set my limit, what I could afford to loose, about £1 per week. Sometimes I won, most-times I lost

I've taken the gamble on machinery or cars, sometimes I've won, sometimes I've lost; but I went in with my eyes open and knowing I could loose, but just my limit

On 12/25/2022 at 5:57 PM, ramrod said:

. I then asked him how he got my name. He said it was a referral from someone that he had a pending deal with, but the deal fell through.

Ask him the name of the person who referred you.

Hope this helps

JCUK

2 hours ago, ramrod said:

he just showed a pic of the skiver. it wasn't in a shop. looked like it was in a spare bedroom. there was paperwork near it. i zoomed in on it but couldn't read what it was. also said there was no real interest in any of the rest of the stuff. hard to believe. he said he'd ship the skiver if i put half down and promised to pay the balance upon receipt. i did bow out of the deal, but he still wants to ship it. 

nstarleather....i tried to google that pic but i don't know how. tried 5 ways til sunday to do it. 

Email it to me.  I’ll google search it for you.  nstarleather@shtc.net

Not everyone can take gambles but it can work out.  I speak as someone who bought 20,000 feet of leather sight unseen last week.