Brokenolmarine

Knife for Myself

After making knives for everyone else for Christmas, I decided to make one for myself.  Not that I needed one, but I wanted to try a couple things, and apply some of the lessons learned.  First, I wanted to improve the polishing I had done on the past Bolsters, and had  been researching techniques.  I used three levels of rouge after working up to 800 grit sandpaper.  The brass turned out pretty well.  I also wanted to try a bone accent between the brass and the wood scales.  Using leftover bone from a previous build, I did just that.  A lot of hand fitting, but it turned out okay.  NOT perfect, but okay.  Then, I wanted to choose the perfect scales for MY knife.  I thought Walnut.  Nope, not enough Figure.  Curly Cherry.  Nope, the grain wasn't "Deep" enough.  Then it hit me.  A few years ago, I had cut down the silver maple we had planted at the old farmhouse in VA the first year we moved in.  Twenty Five years later, Woodpeckers and Bugs had killed it.  When I cut it up to burn, I discovered the bugs had spalted it.  So, it got run thru my bandsaw mill and stacked to dry.  I have made presentation and keepsake boxes, and knives.  So... this knife would have scales that would have a sentimental connection.  We moved from VA to OK two and a half years ago, selling one farm and buying another.

I took my time,  getting each step as close to RIGHT as I could before moving to the next.  I was pleased with the knife when I judged it done.  Of COURSE I noted areas where I could improve on the next one.  Don't we all?  Then on to the sheath.  Normally I basket weave or tool them.  I am never happy with my carving.  This time, I decided to do Oak Leaves and Acorns for the practice.  If it didn't turn out, I'd start over.  Miss Tina liked it, so I kept going.  I was happy with the stitch lines, and I tooled the back with a quilted pattern just to practice.  I painted the background on the front of make the carving pop.

I'm good.  Not perfect, but the boss likes it and her opinion matters. :spoton:

1583613019_34thepair.thumb.jpg.7f9af0a8312ffaee4aa8b8ea85ebb961.jpg

The knife fits, and won't fall out.  I doubt it will get worn much.  I don't work around the farm, that's Tina's job.  Her livestock.  The only thing left here is about three coats of wax on the scales and the sheath.

I'm happy.  Next up?  Thumb hole sling for both our rifles, or a full gunbelt for the Uberti .357 Single action.  Belt, Holster, and Sheath.  Haven't decided yet.

1248662328_33justneedswaxed.thumb.jpg.672c3a12a3e5af1b99c6f418d9d58f98.jpg

The blade blank, rough bolster, and original bone came from Jantz Knife Supply in Davis, OK

knifemaking.com

Great People, friendly and helpful.

I have the wood for scales, lots of it, so I don't have to buy that.  I'm a woodworker at heart. ;)

Nice work. And is miss Tina your wife?

Pretty sweet. 

2 hours ago, Simplejack1985 said:

Nice work. And is miss Tina your wife?

Yup, for thirty years.  The boss, love of my life, best friend, adviser... harshest critic.  Well, anyone who has been married a long time can add to the list.

Also a gifted Quilter, crochet fiend, seamstress... EMT, fly tier, Caster, fisherwoman... Not much she can't do.

16 minutes ago, Brokenolmarine said:

Yup, for thirty years.  The boss, love of my life, best friend, adviser... harshest critic.  Well, anyone who has been married a long time can add to the list.

Also a gifted Quilter, crochet fiend, seamstress... EMT, fly tier, Caster, fisherwoman... Not much she can't do.

I call my wife Ms tricia so I kinda figured

Nice work on both !!!!

Great work and I just love the wood! It looks amazing!

Very nice!

Nice looking package!   It will only get better from here!   Keep up the good work 

beautiful work on both !!! That spalted Maple  looks great imo. 

7 hours ago, Brokenolmarine said:

A good wife makes the man in my opinion.  Sounds like you hit the jackpot.  Also, I love the stories behind the knife.  That's what I look for when it comes to keepsakes, some emotional connection.  That knife will never be dull!  :)

Thats 1 Sharp:yes: looking knife and sheath :thumbsup: