Bert03241

Bersa Thunder . 380 Inlay attempt

My first try at inlay, but I think I did it all wrong    :whatdoyouthink:

20230219_101922 (Copy).jpg

20230219_101929 (Copy).jpg

20230219_101936 (Copy).jpg

While I personally know nothing about holsters, I think it looks pretty good. What do you think you did wrong?

/dwight

i think your inlay looks great!!!! i would have lost some of that leather on the outside of your loop and ran the stitch line closer to the loop hole but that is just esthetics no one will see the loops. Nice lookin holster IMO.

Nice job. The only thing I might have changed would be a bit more contrast between the two leathers, just to make your inlay pop.

Chuck I dont really understand what your saying what do you refer to as the loop? did you mean make the inlay bigger?   :feedback:

What I think I did wrong is the inlay is on top of the leather with a frame around it , not technically in layed. but I really didn't know how to do it on 8oz leather LOL  

Edited by Bert03241

11 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Nice job. The only thing I might have changed would be a bit more contrast between the two leathers, just to make your inlay pop.

:16:  what would be a good color?

Edited by Bert03241

Hey Bert , while I don't know about holsters  it looks pretty good to me. I think it would be even nicer to use a stitching iron or awl instead of drilling/punching your stitch lines .

8 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Chuck I dont really understand what your saying what do you refer to as the loop? did you mean make the inlay bigger?   :feedback:

What I think I did wrong is the inlay is on top of the leather with a frame around it , not technically in layed. but I really didn't know how to do it on 8oz leather LOL  

i was referring to your belt loop slots, no biggie, what i do is make them narrower plus i skive them a bit on the back side where the belt rides.

brownings1.JPG

OK I see what you mean, move the belt loops out a little bit.

Skiving the back side is a good Idea, like you say makes the belt slide easier

thanks

10 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I guess that technically makes it an "overlay" instead of an "inlay"?  It was hard to tell from the photographs, especially when I was looking at it from my phone.  Still looks pretty good to me.

/dwight

10 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

:16:  what would be a good color?

I think I would go with either straight saddle tan, or dark brown. Perhaps cordovan. When I look at it my eyes should be drawn to the inlay, and they are not.

11 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I don't know if i do them right but here's how i do it. For an 8oz thickness holster for example i would use two pieces that equal 8 oz. One( the base layer thickest piece) under the snake skin, one over( the piece you cut out for the skin to show thru). and then i use the cutout piece also under the skin to raise it up level with the outer piece.  The outer piece should cover the whole holster so it looks inlayed.

2 hours ago, DwightT said:

I guess that technically makes it an "overlay" instead of an "inlay"?  It was hard to tell from the photographs, especially when I was looking at it from my phone.  Still looks pretty good to me.

/dwight

Yea an overlay LOL glad you like it , thanks Dwight

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

I don't know if i do them right but here's how i do it. For an 8oz thickness holster for example i would use two pieces that equal 8 oz. One( the base layer thickest piece) under the snake skin, one over( the piece you cut out for the skin to show thru). and then i use the cutout piece also under the skin to raise it up level with the outer piece.  The outer piece should cover the whole holster so it looks inlayed.

Thanks Chuck I'll give that a shot on the next one I do.

10 hours ago, Gezzer said:

Hey Bert , while I don't know about holsters  it looks pretty good to me. I think it would be even nicer to use a stitching iron or awl instead of drilling/punching your stitch lines .

yes I totally agree, but its seem every time I try that I mess up the stitch lines and ruin a piece leather. But I'll try again-the outside lines arn't to bad as I can use the groover or compass but the inside lines I have nothing to guide me and my free hand is awefull :wacko::no:

It looks pretty good but to my eye it would be better if your inlay followed the outer curves of the holster. Also it appears that you drilled the holes. Drilling is OK if you then run a stabbing awl thru the holes to make them diamond shaped. That is what I do with thick leather. It makes it much easier and and you can't tell the holes were drilled.

4 minutes ago, doubleh said:

It looks pretty good but to my eye it would be better if your inlay followed the outer curves of the holster. Also it appears that you drilled the holes. Drilling is OK if you then run a stabbing awl thru the holes to make them diamond shaped. That is what I do with thick leather. It makes it much easier and and you can't tell the holes were drilled.

Deciding how to shape the inlay was the hardest part

Use a smaller drill bit, then run the awl though.  Or, run a groove or line on the back and watch where the awl is coming out. As long as you don't pierce the leather, you can adjust. Then wet it and hammer it down. That shrinks the holes a bit as well. I tend to make my holsters a bit wider between the slots. It feels more comfortable for me as it spreads the load. I don't skive the back of the loops,  but do use a 1/4" x 1 1/2" (large paint stick)with rounded edges to slide in during the later part of wet molding to arc the holster and pull the ends down and in. Hope this helps, everyone is a bit different.

20220901_125802.jpg

I think it looks good but those stitch holes do stand out.

3 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

yes I totally agree, but its seem every time I try that I mess up the stitch lines and ruin a piece leather. But I'll try again-the outside lines arn't to bad as I can use the groover or compass but the inside lines I have nothing to guide me and my free hand is awefull :wacko::no:

Maybe draw the inside lines on you  paper/card stock pattern where you can erase if needed .Once you like them  mark with a round awl as you trace your over all pattern . I have to get stuff right " on paper " all of the time but it saves me some leather .

2 hours ago, Hags said:

Use a smaller drill bit, then run the awl though.  Or, run a groove or line on the back and watch where the awl is coming out. As long as you don't pierce the leather, you can adjust. Then wet it and hammer it down. That shrinks the holes a bit as well. I tend to make my holsters a bit wider between the slots. It feels more comfortable for me as it spreads the load. I don't skive the back of the loops,  but do use a 1/4" x 1 1/2" (large paint stick)with rounded edges to slide in during the later part of wet molding to arc the holster and pull the ends down and in. Hope this helps, everyone is a bit different.

20220901_125802.jpg

definitely will use a smaller bit and pierce with an awl on the next one thanks for all the great suggestions guys.  

2 hours ago, Gezzer said:

Maybe draw the inside lines on you  paper/card stock pattern where you can erase if needed .Once you like them  mark with a round awl as you trace your over all pattern . I have to get stuff right " on paper " all of the time but it saves me some leather .

I do the design in corel and transfer to the laser so everything is were its suppose to be . maybe I can dial down the power and laser lines on paper then do like you said. thanks

hags are you sewing by hand or machine? I sew by hand and my thread is much heavier then machine thread I think.

I use a cobra class 3, arthritis. I use 277 bonded nylon top and bottom. You can use a smaller thread. Look at Maine thread company,  they have many sizes of thread.

Edited by Hags

I actually have an assortment pac of thread from them, different   colors and sizes :yes:

4 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I actually have an assortment pac of thread from them, different   colors and sizes :yes:

I want to get some of their braided and try that as well.