CNCguru

Hello from Pennsylvania

Hello everyone! I’m Bryan, from central Pennsylvania. I am a cabinet making and millwork instructor at a local technical school which is where my username is derived from. My story is probably similar to many others who have joined this website. I have gotten into leather work as a hobby, and have too many hobbies as it is. Nonetheless, there is always time for one more! I have been fascinated and interested in leather work for some time and about a year ago I decided to start purchasing hand tools, leather scraps, and some less expensive machines to start dabbling with leather. It’s been a year and I’m still dabbling, due to my lack of extra time, but I have been actively looking for a sewing machine which is what led me here. I have been led to this site a couple dozen times by simply searching “will xxxxx brand sewing machine work for leather”. 

I appreciate all the amazing videos and articles out there on different types of work being done with leather. Although stamping, and carving pieces are done by some incredibly talented people, my interest is more in the use of machines to be creative. I’ve always been drawn towards cool machines, and leather machines are no different. 

I truly have no leather products to share, I’ve spent most of my time so far gathering tools and learning how to use them. I have found most items on the internet, Facebook and a Tandy store about an hour from my home in Harrisburg PA. One thing I have made is my stitching pony. I believe I wrote in my profile that I absolutely do not like to hand stitch, but I also realize it is an important part of leather work. So I didn’t want to pay for something I could make! I had some reclaimed American chestnut stored away that worked perfectly for this project. 

I’ll be here, checking out all the information on this site. Good to meet everyone!

Let me give you a shortcut to the usual rabbit trail of inadequate sewing machines. Get some kind of flatbed machine that will do up to V138 thread and one of the large harness stitchers for bigger stuff.  Tons of choices in either category for you to research.

It's where you're going to end up anyway ...

Hi looking forward to your input. Wiz knows his machines read his stuff, he's done alot of work putting together some good info.

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Hi looking forward to your input. Wiz knows his machines read his stuff, he's done alot of work putting together some good info.

Yes chuck, I completely understand what you mean. I’ve probably read 2 dozen posts from wiz about different sewing machines. I feel I owe him for saving me from buying a machine that isn’t fit for leather! 

Welcome from SW Missouri.  I too just made the jump from handstitching everything to just some things now.  The info here is invaluable for all things leather sewing.  Good luck and send a pic of that stitching pony.

12 hours ago, PastorBob said:

Welcome from SW Missouri.  I too just made the jump from handstitching everything to just some things now.  The info here is invaluable for all things leather sewing.  Good luck and send a pic of that stitching pony.

Thank you, @PastorBob. The amount of information on here is incredible to say the least. Thanks for the reminder, i meant to post the stitching pony but had some size issues due to using my phone. I can't take full credit for this design, there is a really great YouTube video from a creator overseas. I wish i could remember his name, but what i made was loosely based on his video.

pony 1.jpg

pony 2.jpg

pony 3.jpg

pony 4.jpg

10 hours ago, CNCguru said:

Thank you, @PastorBob. The amount of information on here is incredible to say the least. Thanks for the reminder, i meant to post the stitching pony but had some size issues due to using my phone. I can't take full credit for this design, there is a really great YouTube video from a creator overseas. I wish i could remember his name, but what i made was loosely based on his video.

pony 1.jpg

pony 2.jpg

pony 3.jpg

pony 4.jpg

That looks great.  Really like the design.  The only thing I would add would be to wrap some leather around the jaws to protect your work from indentations when clamping.  Love the quick release lever and how you made a groove for it to ride in.

Welcome and nice pony.

Welcome to the site! I'm not to far from you in, Located in York. Let me know if you ever need anything or help.

9 hours ago, PastorBob said:

That looks great.  Really like the design.  The only thing I would add would be to wrap some leather around the jaws to protect your work from indentations when clamping.  Love the quick release lever and how you made a groove for it to ride in.

@PastorBob thanks! I didn’t even realize the leather wasn’t installed in the pictures, but I do have the jaws lined. I also realized I think layer of leather under the maple cam would help reduce wear. 

7 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Welcome and nice pony.

@Scoutmom103 thanks! 

5 hours ago, Rubicon04 said:

Welcome to the site! I'm not to far from you in, Located in York. Let me know if you ever need anything or help.

@Rubicon04 great, thanks! 

Welcome from Sequim,Washington.  I've often wished the handles would be curved so that when down, the would go down to the body so thread would not get stuck under it. Very nice job!