chuck123wapati

a new quiver

The old archery bug hit hard, I'm going hunting this fall. My old quiver needed replaced so here it is. All veg tan of various weights. Bison brown mottled on and a bit of that antiquing. I tried a little free hand work with the tooling and also some lacing. The basket lacing  is mostly Mexican round braid someday i'll fix it. NOT LOL!! Arm guard is next. Its not my best work, i wanted to do some practice on my tooling and this where i do it, on my own stuff. I used the aluminum from the old quiver as the frame for my new one.

quiver4.jpg

quiver5.jpg

quiver1.jpg

quiver2.jpg

quiver3.jpg

Nice leather work

I've never seen a quiver like that before

6 minutes ago, fredk said:

Nice leather work

I've never seen a quiver like that before

Probably not, here in the states the big thing is to stick them on the side of your bow. The old one was such a contraption. I hate them, they ruin a perfect shooting bow. Every arrow taken off changes every shot, they are hanging out front and increase the movement of the bow so critters see you faster plus you have to put your hands out in front to get another arrow. As you can see i changed mine to a belt quiver , it hangs behind me so its out of sight and i can get an arrow without scaring everything off. plus i can get through the woods without losing them.  I used it about one day as intended then fixed it.

Chuck,

I had a quiver like that on an old Carroll compound, 1974.  It ran straight up and down, was so nice.  One sunny fall day I was in a tree and a blue jay thought it would be a nice place to rest.  He stayed 10 minutes or so, we just eyeballed each other til he blinked first.  

We have ten bobcats on the 151 acres.....  going to have to do something.  They wiped out my pheasants and wild turkeys...  Between them and the coyotes it feels like home out west again.  84F right now.

God bless

Oh......  Nice quiver :)))

Edited by MikeRock
Those were the ones we saw in the daytime.....so there are more. Set up trail cams.

4 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

Chuck,

I had a quiver like that on an old Carroll compound, 1974.  It ran straight up and down, was so nice.  One sunny fall day I was in a tree and a blue jay thought it would be a nice place to rest.  He stayed 10 minutes or so, we just eyeballed each other til he blinked first.  

We have ten bobcats on the 151 acres.....  going to have to do something.  They wiped out my pheasants and wild turkeys...  Between them and the coyotes it feels like home out west again.  84F right now.

God bless

Oh......  Nice quiver :)))

Sounds like you need to do some trapping.

Mine came on a PSE, first compound i owned, now I'm liking shooting the recurve again. Great way to spend an evening practicing.

A few questions;

Is the part with the notches leather or wood?

What size are the holes for the shafts?

On your original metal & plastic one the bit with notches is fixed, can it be made adjustable? that is, for different arrow lengths

What are the lengths - over all? from the interior of the bucket to the notched part? 

On your leather version; is the piece between the bucket and the notched part stiff? eg a covered bar or something? or flexible?

I ask, because I think I may try to make a couple of these, one for #1 favourite dottir and one for #3 favourite son, for them to try out

I'm supposed to be making a standard bag case quiver for #1 favourite dottir; I must get on with that!

Edited by fredk

Nice work Chuck, certainly looks a lot better than the original.:) Your idea to hang it off a belt is interesting.

Fred, yes, when I first looked I was expecting a "conventional" quiver. I consider these to be arrow holders, rather than quivers, as Chuck said they are normally mounted on the bow itself and are popular among hunters. The arrows can't rattle, like in a quiver, and are less likely to get caught up on something.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

A few questions;

On your original metal & plastic one the bit with notches is fixed, can it be made adjustable? that is, for different arrow lengths

What are the lengths - over all? from the interior of the bucket to the notched part? 

On your leather version; is the piece between the bucket and the notched part stiff? eg a covered bar or something? or flexible?

I ask, because I think I may try to make a couple of these, one for #1 favourite dottir and one for #3 favourite son, for them to try out

I'm supposed to be making a standard bag case quiver for #1 favourite dottir; I must get on with that!

it is leather two pieces of 10 oz formed in a vice.

The holes are the same size as my arrows 11/32"

the basket 3" deep  14" circumference

it is not adjustable the arrows fit tight so it doesnt matter the length between the basket and holders but the original was 14" so this one is too. I have others and they are all about the same length give or take.

i used the metal frame from the original It is aluminum. 

One other thing Fred there is a piece of foam that goes inside the basket to keep the arrows from knocking around, i use the closed cell springy stuff, don't know what the name is.

They keep your arrows nice and protected from knocking around. 

quiver6.jpg

24 minutes ago, dikman said:

Nice work Chuck, certainly looks a lot better than the original.:) Your idea to hang it off a belt is interesting.

Fred, yes, when I first looked I was expecting a "conventional" quiver. I consider these to be arrow holders, rather than quivers, as Chuck said they are normally mounted on the bow itself and are popular among hunters. The arrows can't rattle, like in a quiver, and are less likely to get caught up on something.

Thank you!!

1 hour ago, fredk said:

A few questions;

whats nice you can clock your arrows so that when you reach around and pull one its aligned with the string and ready to knock up with out looking.

Thank you for a. all the answers and b. taking the time to answer my Qs

That quiver looks great! count me as another who hates connecting them to bows. I hunt from tree stands and hang mine from a branch near me.

That's really cool.  Its gonna be real satisfying using that on a hunt.

11 hours ago, fredk said:

Thank you for a. all the answers and b. taking the time to answer my Qs

no problem Fred if you need more info or pictures let me know.

12 hours ago, dikman said:

Thank you!

11 hours ago, bladegrinder said:

That quiver looks great! count me as another who hates connecting them to bows. I hunt from tree stands and hang mine from a branch near me.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, Littlef said:

That's really cool.  Its gonna be real satisfying using that on a hunt.

Thank you.

Great work as always @chuck123wapati.  I love seeing how creative you are and solving problems along the way.  I am not into archery, but have several acquaintances that are.  I may try to do some tinkering.  Thanks for sharing.  Always fun to see what you're working on.

5 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

Great work as always @chuck123wapati.  I love seeing how creative you are and solving problems along the way.  I am not into archery, but have several acquaintances that are.  I may try to do some tinkering.  Thanks for sharing.  Always fun to see what you're working on.

Thank you Pastor I appreciate that very much.  

Beautiful work.  It's been a lot of years since I was into archery, but I still have the compound bow that I made in H.S. wood shop along with the traditional target shooters quiver that I made when I was in the archery club.  I never cared much for the bow-mounted style of quivers for many of the reasons that you listed, but if I do decide to take up shooting again I may have to re-think that and see if I can do one like yours.

/dwight

5 hours ago, DwightT said:

Beautiful work.  It's been a lot of years since I was into archery, but I still have the compound bow that I made in H.S. wood shop along with the traditional target shooters quiver that I made when I was in the archery club.  I never cared much for the bow-mounted style of quivers for many of the reasons that you listed, but if I do decide to take up shooting again I may have to re-think that and see if I can do one like yours.

/dwight

thank you! You know i didn't know how much i just missed practicing. I used to shoot every day after work to get rid of the stress man it still works. 

15 hours ago, TonyV said:

Nice quiver Chuck!  Happy shooting.

Thanks!!