rmcninch108

Is this anything to worry about?

I noticed these lines in my leather briefcase I made for a friend and was wondering what caused this and is there anything to worry about.Made from 6oz. veg-tan, Fiebings Pro Dye, then Leatherbalm with Atoms wax, last rubbed in some Aussie Cream.I apologize for the newbie question, I just am worried of the long term affect it might have. Thanks for helping advance, Robert

The marble look of the dye is not what I mean, it is the wrinkle look similar to stretch marks when you look closely.IMG_7934.jpeg

Edited by rmcninch108

To me that look likes 'tide' marks caused by uneven drying out of uneven applications of wet products. After some time it may reduce but it will never go away

I'm confused. Are you asking about the blotches of light and dark leather or the wrinkly lines in the leather?? If the blotches then I agree with Fred. The wrinkly lines well could be just the natural leather or could be the leather was folded or worked a lot . not sure

It's not about the blotches of light and dark but the wrinkly lines. The leather was not folded or worked a lot. Do you think the leather could crack at those lines? 

Thanks so much.

22 minutes ago, rmcninch108 said:

It's not about the blotches of light and dark but the wrinkly lines. The leather was not folded or worked a lot. Do you think the leather could crack at those lines? 

Thanks so much.

what part of the hide did you cut them from?

2 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

what part of the hide did you cut them from?

could they be stretch marks? like from the belli?

I have learned or rather This works for me

toss the dinners out with the trash and buy a plastic 1 gallon container and a funnel 

dip your leather in the container and use the funnel to pour the dye back in the bottle

Personally, I like the look of stretch marks

gives it texture and character 

2 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I have learned or rather This works for me

toss the dobbers( damn auto correct).  out with the trash and buy a plastic 1 gallon container and a funnel 

dip your leather in the container and use the funnel to pour the dye back in the bottle

I would add moisture to the leather with a light coat of neatsfoot oil on the grain side.  Leave it overnight then buff thoroughly with a soft cloth. Rub the stitching with a bone folder to smooth the wrinkles, and lighten up on your thread tension (pulling up stitches) next time you sew to avoid the wavey edge.  I haven't used Fiebings Leather Balm but think it will allow the oil to penetrate.  As always, oiling might darken the leather - give it several days to even out before judging the final color.

3 minutes ago, TomE said:

I would add moisture to the leather with a light coat of neatsfoot oil on the grain side.  Leave it overnight then buff thoroughly with a soft cloth. Rub the stitching with a bone folder to smooth the wrinkles, and lighten up on your thread tension (pulling up stitches) next time you sew to avoid the wavey edge.  I haven't used Fiebings Leather Balm but think it will allow the oil to penetrate.  As always, oiling might darken the leather - give it several days to even out before judging the final color.

TomE and I walk down the same street on this.  The blotches somehow are associated with needing an application of neatsfoot oil . . . and that will eliminate about 99% of that blotchy stuff. . . 

AND . . . it can help with the wrinkles.

But if you want to somehow get to zero defects in the product . . . you need to give up on leather . . . go to vinyl . . . leather will always have little defects here and there . . . and most can be worked around so the customer never notices it . . . but that is YOUR part of what has to be done.  A really thorough inspection of the leather to be used will take care of most of that.

May God bless,

Dwight

I’m not sure which part of the hide I cut from, will pay better attention next time . I like the way the stretch marks look, just paranoid if it might crack later on . Thanks everyone for you advice ! 

I have quite a few wrinkly bits of leather in use. The only thing that "broke" was a boot (which I didn't make myself) - it developed a hole at the forefoot (where it bends with each step). I am pretty sure that the briefcase won't see as hard use as these boots, so I wouldn't worry about the wrinkles.

Taking good care of the leather will help (you could maybe give your friend a small pot of Aussie Cream, assuming that is some sort of leather grease?)

Frodo, I do Dip Dye 99% "with the containers and funnel" of everything using Fiebings Pro Dye and love the results too. This piece was too large to fit the container so I spounged the Dye. TomE and Dwight, thanks for the Neatsfoot oil tip and less thread tension. I think I will try that also.After I dyed it and saw what happened I went ahead and cut a new pattern thinking it was ruined. My friend who I was making it for, loved the way it looked so I continued on. Thanks everyone for the tips and taking the  time to help me out.

Robert

1 hour ago, Klara said:

I have quite a few wrinkly bits of leather in use. The only thing that "broke" was a boot (which I didn't make myself) - it developed a hole at the forefoot (where it bends with each step). I am pretty sure that the briefcase won't see as hard use as these boots, so I wouldn't worry about the wrinkles.

Taking good care of the leather will help (you could maybe give your friend a small pot of Aussie Cream, assuming that is some sort of leather grease?)

Thanks Klara,  that is what had me worried. Fiebings makes the "Aussie Cream" .