Sheilajeanne

Snake Skins 1930's

I doubt you will find snakes this big anymore! :blink: It definitely looks like they would have been able to swallow a person whole! 

Drying snake skins in a warehouse in the Port of London, 1930.

Snake skins 1930s.jpg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Good photo, thanks

Can any of our experts perhaps identify the species? I recon these would have come from either India or Africa. India most likely

I was thinking South America. And I've been informed that there are STILL snakes that size in various parts of the world, especially South America! :no:

Of course. They can come from almost anywhere. I was just thinking of the most likely places within the British Empire they might be brought in from. Back then the British did buy a lot of corned beef from South America

I was just thinking; the snake skins could be brought in fresh; Capture your snake, starve it until just before shipping, then feed it a goat. The snake will become docile and the goat will last it for a few weeks, long enough to ship it in a crate from India, South America or wherever.

A poster in the Canadian Leathercrafter's forum says these are reticulated python skins, and they are actually farmed for their skins, as are Burmese pythons!  The reticulated python is native to south and south-east Asia.

It is the world's longest snake, and yes, they have been documented as eating humans!  :wacko:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reticulated_python

Edited by Sheilajeanne

People still get eaten by snakes in those regions

The way things have been going at Yellowstone, some stupid would try to either pet them or get a 'selfie' with them.

Thats an awesome pic .  " Hello ...?? Mic Dundee??  " 

They would make  a great snake  skin leather vest...or 20!!  Did  they eat them too I wonder ? Tastes like chicken no doubt. 

11 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

The way things have been going at Yellowstone, some stupid would try to either pet them or get a 'selfie' with them.

They could only do that once. " Here I am inside the stomach of a f***ing huge snake......say hi to the kids for me ....LOL" 

Is there a category in the 'Darwin Awards' for total  f....k knuckles  that do dumb sh*t like  that ?? 

HS

On 7/4/2023 at 6:07 AM, Handstitched said:

They would make  a great snake  skin leather vest...or 20!!  Did  they eat them too I wonder ? Tastes like chicken no doubt. 

They could only do that once. " Here I am inside the stomach of a f***ing huge snake......say hi to the kids for me ....LOL" 

Is there a category in the 'Darwin Awards' for total  f....k knuckles  that do dumb sh*t like  that ?? 

HS

On 7/2/2023 at 10:55 AM, Sheilajeanne said:

I doubt you will find snakes this big anymore! :blink: It definitely looks like they would have been able to swallow a person whole! 

Drying snake skins in a warehouse in the Port of London, 1930.

Snake skins 1930s.jpg

Skins that size can be found. Money talks. I’ve gotten python and anaconda, which those are I believe, from SFLC and a private dealer many times. Not the best of skins tho, by the time the snakes that big, the skin colors fade somewhat and there’s battle scars. Surprisingly, the big skins are usually cheaper than a smaller skins. At least the ones I’ve gotten. Now if I could find a Diamondback that big….. 

On 7/4/2023 at 7:07 AM, Handstitched said:

HS

HS, I recently joined the Yellowstone National Park: Invasion of the Idiots. They call them 'tourons' a combo of 'tourist' and 'moron'. Now that tourist season is in full swing, there are daily pictures of tourists getting too close to bison and bears, and even walking out past the signs that say 'DANGER - THERMAL AREA - BOILING WATER - DO NOT ENTER!'  One guy even walked up to Old Faithful and pointed his camera down the geyser spout!
He was promptly arrested when he got back to safe ground.

The mineral content of the hot springs will very quickly dissolve a whole body. :no:  https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=6242726555823218&set=g.183268598737928

Edited by Sheilajeanne

16 hours ago, Garyak said:

Skins that size can be found. Money talks. I’ve gotten python and anaconda, which those are I believe, from SFLC and a private dealer many times. Not the best of skins tho, by the time the snakes that big, the skin colors fade somewhat and there’s battle scars. Surprisingly, the big skins are usually cheaper than a smaller skins. At least the ones I’ve gotten. Now if I could find a Diamondback that big….. 

A poster on the Canadian Leathercraft FB forum said they are reticulated python skins.

2 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

The mineral content of the hot springs will very quickly dissolve a whole body. :no:  https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=6242726555823218&set=g.183268598737928

mmm, might be a way to get rid of that body I have in the freezer. . . . . .:Lighten:  

4 hours ago, fredk said:

mmm, might be a way to get rid of that body I have in the freezer. . . . . .:Lighten:  

Fred, they once found someone's foot, still encased in a sneaker. I don't think they ever identified who it belonged to. :unsure:

14 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Fred, they once found someone's foot, still encased in a sneaker. I don't think they ever identified who it belonged to. :unsure:

They found a foot and sneaker in one of the hot pools in Yellowstone last year.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dead-man-whose-foot-was-found-yellowstone-hot-spring-identified-rcna57806

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about, Chuck! :o Didn't know they'd identified him though!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Reading thru the story it seems the gist is that the tale of a lot of anacondas is a myth