TanneryNYC

Pre-Cut Leathers or Full Sides (Or Hides)

We want to hear from you all!

Do you prefer working with Full Sides? Or leathers Pre-Cut to specific sizes?

What types of projects do you work on with Pre-Cut Leathers?

What colors would you like to see that most Vendors don't currently offer?

We'd love to hear some feedback!

https://tannerynyc.com/

Edited by TanneryNYC

I prefer the full or side, I feel I’m being overcharged on precut 

On 7/6/2023 at 7:46 PM, TanneryNYC said:

Do you prefer working with Full Sides? Or leathers Pre-Cut to specific sizes?

I prefer a full hide, or full half. As I make small goods I can get useable pieces out of the naturally squiggly belly edge or the sticky out bit where the legs were

On 7/6/2023 at 7:46 PM, TanneryNYC said:

What colors would you like to see that most Vendors don't currently offer?

White, bright yellow, bright blue, bright green, bright red, bright orange in various thicknesses, from 1mm (2 oz?) mm to 4mm (10 oz?) mostly

and did I mention WHITE

I have an old order to recover car steering wheels. The customer would like to have them done in bright coloured leather. I've been sitting on that order since 2014 now. I think he has 350 to 400 steering wheels he wants me to do but I just cannot get the bright coloured leather in pre-dyed veg tan. When I try to dye it always turns out very dark

i buy sides.

It really depends for me.  Sides are usually cheaper by the square foot - but if that side is going to sit around unused for a long time, it's much less economical.  If I buy a leather that type and weight that I use often, a side is the way to go.  If it's something I do not use so often, smaller amounts make more economical sense.  

- Bill

On 7/8/2023 at 5:19 AM, fredk said:

I have an old order to recover car steering wheels. The customer would like to have them done in bright coloured leather. I've been sitting on that order since 2014 now. I think he has 350 to 400 steering wheels he wants me to do but I just cannot get the bright coloured leather in pre-dyed veg tan. When I try to dye it always turns out very dark

@fredk, I have to ask ,why veg tan on steering wheel covers? The heat through a windscreen over here would shrink veg very quickly.

There is a certain amount of wet moulding needed on these steering wheels. And a certain amount of shrinking the leather in place

Edited by fredk

I prefer cut to order, if possible. and colors - dark greens like forest green and emerald green; pinks - lighter ones, not shocking pinks. These colors are not easily available anywhere.

Honestly depends on your market.  If you're selling to pros, they buy sides.  If you're selling to smaller hobbyists then panels.  I can't imagine someone making a living at leather buying panels, except exotics. 

All this feedback is great, thank you all so much! 

We are glad to find the different uses of customers in terms of Order size.

For all those looking for specific colors to match, you can reach out to us directly and someone will send over a link to listing of our closest color!

Email: Contact@tanneryNYC.com

Hey there!

I personally prefer working with Full Sides as they give me more creative flexibility, especially for custom projects. However, I find Pre-Cut Leathers convenient for smaller, standardized items like wallets or key holders.

For Pre-Cut projects, I'd love to see more unique color options, perhaps vibrant jewel tones or earthy pastels that are not commonly offered.

Looking forward to hearing others' preferences and ideas!

Cheers,
https://realleathergarments.co.uk