rodneyv

Sewing Machine Thread Brand and Type

I'm purchasing a Cobra 26 for my first sewing machine and I'm looking for information on a good high quality thread.  I've only used Ritza Tiger thread in 0.6mm, 0.8mm, and 1.0mm sizes and all has been hand sewed.  Is there a high quality brand that stands out above others for sewing machines?  Should I be using nylon or polyester or both?  I will be sewing sheathes, small holsters, outdoor items, bags, etc.  Are there any links to choosing threads for specific situations that you could lead me to?  Thanks

42 minutes ago, rodneyv said:

I'm purchasing a Cobra 26 for my first sewing machine and I'm looking for information on a good high quality thread.  I've only used Ritza Tiger thread in 0.6mm, 0.8mm, and 1.0mm sizes and all has been hand sewed.  Is there a high quality brand that stands out above others for sewing machines?  Should I be using nylon or polyester or both?  I will be sewing sheathes, small holsters, outdoor items, bags, etc.  Are there any links to choosing threads for specific situations that you could lead me to?  Thanks

I have had my Class 26 for about a month now. You're going to love it!!!!! 

It has definitely been a time saver though there has been a learning curve on somethings I make. I am following this topic, I'm curious about thread too. I bought some stuff off Amazon and it has been good so far, haven't had any problems so far but I'm sure there is much better thread out there. 

The black nylon thread that Leather Machine Co. sent with the machine is my favorite!

3 hours ago, rodneyv said:

I'm purchasing a Cobra 26 for my first sewing machine and I'm looking for information on a good high quality thread.

Stay way from the cheap Chinese thread particularly in the 8 oz spool size. It can be a frustration generator. Buy a brand name sewing thread preferably one made in North America like A&E ( www.amefird.com ). Yes it will be more expensive but a quality products.

3 hours ago, rodneyv said:

Should I be using nylon or polyester or both?

Depends on what you are sewing. If the item is going to be exposed to a lot of UV rays or bleach bonded polyester would provide better protection then bonded nylon. Typically bonded polyester has a slightly lower breaking strength then bonded nylon for the same size of thread.

You did mention "small holsters" the Cobra Class 26 can only handle up to V207 thread which maybe a little light for a holster. Some of the holster makers could address the best size of thread to use.

kgg

7 hours ago, rodneyv said:

I'm purchasing a Cobra 26 for my first sewing machine and I'm looking for information on a good high quality thread.

Moved your post to leather sewing machines.

Thanks for all the info. 

I wanted to post the pictures below because when I was researching the Class 26, there was so much conflicting information.  Alot of people say it can't handle thread larger than 207 or that 3/8" is max thickness.  The leather below was sewn on a Cobra Class 26 with 277 on top and 207 in the bobbin and there were no issues at all sewing this.  It was sewn by a worker at Springfield Leather at my request.  I'm sure it's probably not smart to max it out daily but on occasions, I doubt it would hurt anything.  I found it to be very good information and contradicts what you always hear repeated about the Class 26.

pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

pic3.JPG

11 hours ago, rodneyv said:

Thanks for all the info. 

I wanted to post the pictures below because when I was researching the Class 26, there was so much conflicting information.  Alot of people say it can't handle thread larger than 207 or that 3/8" is max thickness.  The leather below was sewn on a Cobra Class 26 with 277 on top and 207 in the bobbin and there were no issues at all sewing this.  It was sewn by a worker at Springfield Leather at my request.  I'm sure it's probably not smart to max it out daily but on occasions, I doubt it would hurt anything.  I found it to be very good information and contradicts what you always hear repeated about the Class 26.

pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

pic3.JPG

WOW! This is awesome to see!! The folks at SLC are the best!

They must have tweaked that machine to sew 1/2 inch and, do it with #277/207 thread. I have tweaked a few of my Singer walking foot machines to sew thicker than normal, or to use heavier thread than the standard limit suggests. One of those tweaks is changing the needle system to a longer needle, allowing me to raise the alternating height of the feet. But, this had an adverse effect on thinner work.

On 7/19/2023 at 6:57 AM, rodneyv said:

Are there any links to choosing threads for specific situations that you could lead me to?  Thanks

You’ve received some great advice - good quality thread is nice to sew with.   Getting it from a reputable supplier is also a safe bet.  As thread ages the wax that bonds the fibers together can get hard and cause tension issues, so “good deals” on eBay may cause problems.

Having said that, after you’re up the learning curve and comfortable with the new machine, it’s nice to have a selection of sizes and colors, and low cost import thread is an option if you keep in mind it may not be as easy to sew with or even the correct size.  Measuring thread diameter and breaking strength isn’t necessary by any means, but if someone were to check, the cheaper import threads are generally on the thin side.

Good luck and enjoy that new machine!

Edited by DonInReno

You can purchase Ritza Tiger for sewing maschines in 3 colors: JK1 White, JK21 Brown, JK23 Black.

Available thickness 0,6mm or 0,8mm - 1000m Spools.

You can purchase it by me in Germany. I have also Meisi Super Fine thread, that will be used with maschine.

Best regards

Igor

2 hours ago, IRO said:

You can purchase Ritza Tiger for sewing maschines in 3 colors: JK1 White, JK21 Brown, JK23 Black.

Available thickness 0,6mm or 0,8mm - 1000m Spools.

You can purchase it by me in Germany. I have also Meisi Super Fine thread, that will be used with maschine.

Best regards

Igor

I thought Ritza Tiger thread was for hand-stitching and not for sewing machines.

They have two products. And one of them is for sewing maschines, but only 3 colors and two thicknesses. I am a seller of Ritza threads in Germany

The only Ritza thread suitable for sewing machines is Ritza 44. It is only available in black, white and one shade of brown (JK21). It is not waxed, but is lubricated with a silicon coating. It currently only comes in 0.6 and 0.8 mm widths and is a flat braided polyester thread. Some sellers in the World may have new old stock of the 0.4mm width, which is now discontinued.

Ritza 25 Tiger thread is waxed for hand sewing. The wax will strip off as the thread goes through the eye of a standard sewing machine needle, clogging it up. If any of you are thinking about running Ritza 25 through a sewing machine, only do this on a hook and awl machine; not a closed eye needle machine. Examples of suitable machines include the Union Lockstitch, Campbell-Randall Lockstitch, Randall Lockstitch, Landis 3, Landis 16, Landis 12 series, the American Straight Needle sole stitcher, all Puritan chainstitch machines and most hook and awl sole stitchers, including most McKay insole stitchers.

People on our forums have tried running Ritza 44 and 45 on their 441 clones and had numerous problems. One problem is that the spools are not designed to feed off the top like normal industrial spools do. The Ritza spool will fight all the way if you put it on a standard thread stand and try feeding its thread up to the loop above the spool. For consistent results, you should mount the spool so that it feeds directly inline with the spool. This can be by mounting it on a post on top of the machine, where it may struggle to rotate freely, or by constructing a horizontal mount behind the machine to let the thread spin the spool on the shaft with less resistance.

Possible workarounds to use waxed thread in a closed eye machine.

1. Use an oversize needle 2 sizes larger than you would normally use with that size of thread. You want to have as large an eye opening as possible in the hope that the wax will simply pull through it with the thread. However, the wax will still get stripped by the top guides and tensioner, as well as the check spring.
  2. Run the thread through liquid silicon or clear sewing machine oil in a lube pot on top of the machine. Do this before any thread guides if possible.

And 0,8mm is also in JK26 available.

So:

Ritza 44 0,6mm silicon JK1, JK21, JK23

Ritza 44 0,8mm silicon JK1, JK21, JK23 and JK26

Thank you Wizcrafts for your explanation !!

Best regards

Igor

a 26 for holsters?@!  Okay ...

I use thread from a couple of places, in both poly and nylon.  SHORT VERSION - call [866-362-7397] or contact Bob, he'll fix ya up with what ya need.