DwightT

Got an airbrush. Now what?

Hello all.  I've been MIA from the forums for a bit while dealing with some family issues.  Got the issues mostly resolved and hopefully I'll be able to get back to leatherwork, but as a result of dealing with those issues I am now in possession of some airbrush equipment (see photos below).  The problem is that I know next to nothing about airbrushing.  So far I've watched some videos, but they generally seem to assume that I have at least some rudimentary knowledge of the devices.  Bad assumption.  I have seen others here talking about using an airbrush for dying leather, so I thought I would pop in to see if I could get some pointers to some basic tutorials.

This stuff originally belonged to my wife's late first husband and generally seems to be in pretty good shape.  He was pretty good at taking care of his tools.  The compressor and at least one of the brushes looks like it's never been used.  But do I need to be concerned about any paint residue contaminating my dye?  In what I've read so far I've seen mention of filtering the paint to avoid clogging the brush.  Do I need to do that with dye?  In the third photo with the random accessories, the silver cylinder is a "Matheson 6164 Depth filter".  Other than that it has 1/4" fittings, I'm not sure that it really goes with this set.  Any thoughts? 

Thanks for any advice.

/dwight

Airbrush1.thumb.jpg.cec8fbdab3678739d7947ba5e90a12d8.jpg

Airbrush2.thumb.jpg.bf59e7b6aceb009a18cbed73365aef53.jpg

Airbrush3.thumb.jpg.ff934642be4c22d9f2b25665acaf9146.jpg

Airbrush4.thumb.jpg.0654d7ed3b21a32b75b5656d7cd65dd9.jpg

You certainly have an assortment there. The Badger airbrush is quite an old model, I haven't seen it before, it is a bottom siphon feed, most these days are top/gravity feed (they require less air pressure to operate and can do finer details). The other two are essentially touch-up guns, probably a bit too big for leather use. The compressor is a very old model, dare I say it primitive by modern standards. Having said that the compressor should work ok with the Badger airbrush for doing basic colouring/shading of leather. I notice some of the fittings are different, it suggests to me that he may have had another, bigger compressor, particularly for the touch-up guns. There was obviously more stuff that is missing, for instance the airbrush is fitted with a cup but would have also come with bottles to hold the paint, you can see the black screw-on top in the third photo.

First thing to do is strip the airbrush and if there's any sign of paint residue soak the parts in paint thinner to remove it. And then hook it up to the compressor to try it, most dyes should be thin enough to use as they are (you want the consistency of milk). Try spraying on some cardboard to get the feel for it, if you don't want to waste dye you could buy some modelling paint that is made for airbrushes, just make sure you clean the airbrush afterwards. Those compressors will generate moisture in the airline after a while so a water trap is a good idea. But try it out first before you go spending any money on it.

Does this help in any way?

I have one similar to the Badger at top with a water separator on the hose end that connects to my pancake compressor which is big and loud but I use it out in my shop. I run about #40-#60 thru mine but those pressures could be way off, it's just what that regulator says.

I have a small glass jar that connects to the bottom of the brush verse's the open container, I can see making a huge mess with an open container. I use mine mostly for applying resolene but I also use it for shading around borders of sheaths and holsters.

when I do shading the piece has already been traditionally dyed then brushed with a darker color. just brushing with dye will take A LOT of coats because it goes on so thin, sometimes just brushing then scratching the leather will show un-dyed leather.

for maintenance I only use denatured alcohol and run it thru with air after using, sometimes I'll take the front sections off to clean the front of the needle and the mixing ports coming from the jar.

be careful if you take it completely apart they can be tricky getting the needle back in right.

these have really small O rings in them and if their really old you may have some leaks, hook er up and give it a run, it takes some practice to get comfortable with it. the other bigger one's you have pictured I have no experience with.

I did a bit of research and the Badger brush isn't as old as I thought. It is a double-action airbrush, i.e. push the button down for airflow and pull back to release paint. One of the problems with that compressor is it doesn't have an air regulator, which you will need to regulate the air pressure, they usually have a water trap fitted as well.

Quite  a good kit. Its very similar to my set up . I have a double action air brush , press down and pull back .  I had no idea what I was doing, so I just fiddled around with it to get some practice on scraps, cardboard etc. .  A regulator and  water trap helps  .   As for the touch up gun, I use that for larger areas but mainly for  sealers, but... I put acetone through  it immediately after  use, otherwise it will clog up quickly . But they are easy to pull apart and clean . 

HS

the top one is a great airbrush for leather work !! You can get air brush bottles online so you can put your dyes in their own bottle. A new compressor is a must for you, Harbor freight has some decent ones fairly cheap this is the one i use.  https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/air-compressors/2-gallon-135-psi-ultra-quiet-hand-carry-jobsite-air-compressor-64596.html.

I use about 20 psi pressure as to high a pressure causes to much over spray.

You can make your own cleaner also the recipe is all over the net. 

Buy some cheap air brush paint and practice. 

now what?

spray a piece of leather

yellow

turn the leather on its edge and spray the edge black 

allow the black to overspray into the yellow

also

experiment with different colors

mix equal parts

mahogany and medium brown

the lighter you spray the more tan it looks the heavier the more mahogany

Thanks all.  As I mentioned the setup originally belonged to my wife's late husband, and he passed away back in 2010.  He probably had it for a few years before that, so I'm guessing that it's all at least 15-20 years old.  It's all been sitting out in storage since he passed, and it's possible that there are more parts out there that I missed since I didn't know what I was looking for.  I'll have to rummage around some more to see what I can find.  Part of my concern with it is if I find any issues, how available will replacement parts be?  Haven't really had a chance to look yet. 

I like Chuck's idea of having separate bottles for the dyes, so I'll be looking into that.  Hopefully I'll be able to find the adapter that lets me use bottles instead of the cup.

I probably won't use that compressor since as noted it doesn't have a regulator or tank.  I do have a 12-galleon compressor that I can regulate from 5# to 130#, so I'll look into using that instead.  I imagine that I'll have to look at getting a water trap for it though.  The unused hose in the bag has an inline trap.  Will that be enough or should I look for something to add to the output port of the compressor?

I think I like the idea of using the larger sprayers for sealers.  I'll look at using the gravity-fed one for that since I'm thinking that it will be easier to clean up.  Since I have two bottles for it I think I can keep sealer in one and acetone in the other for cleanup.

Any thoughts on the Matheson filter?  Will I need that for anything here?

Thanks again for the ideas and comments.  Looks like I'll be doing some tinkering over the next few days.

/dwight

10 minutes ago, DwightT said:

Thanks all.  As I mentioned the setup originally belonged to my wife's late husband, and he passed away back in 2010.  He probably had it for a few years before that, so I'm guessing that it's all at least 15-20 years old.  It's all been sitting out in storage since he passed, and it's possible that there are more parts out there that I missed since I didn't know what I was looking for.  I'll have to rummage around some more to see what I can find.  Part of my concern with it is if I find any issues, how available will replacement parts be?  Haven't really had a chance to look yet. 

I like Chuck's idea of having separate bottles for the dyes, so I'll be looking into that.  Hopefully I'll be able to find the adapter that lets me use bottles instead of the cup.

I probably won't use that compressor since as noted it doesn't have a regulator or tank.  I do have a 12-galleon compressor that I can regulate from 5# to 130#, so I'll look into using that instead.  I imagine that I'll have to look at getting a water trap for it though.  The unused hose in the bag has an inline trap.  Will that be enough or should I look for something to add to the output port of the compressor?

I think I like the idea of using the larger sprayers for sealers.  I'll look at using the gravity-fed one for that since I'm thinking that it will be easier to clean up.  Since I have two bottles for it I think I can keep sealer in one and acetone in the other for cleanup.

Thanks again for the ideas and comments.  Looks like I'll be doing some tinkering over the next few days.

/dwight

these are similar to what i use.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Dual-Action-Airbrushing-Accessories/dp/B00BTAOBDC/ref=sr_1_15?adgrpid=1239149927754445&hvadid=77447036273123&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=101688&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=b&hvtargid=kwd-77447119490973%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=22398_13435104&keywords=airbrush+bottles+siphon&qid=1689864672&sr=8-15

they come with the attachment.

22 minutes ago, DwightT said:

/dwight

I use the Harbor Freight air brushes that are affordable and durable. I have 3 of the smaller compressors that come from hobby stores, plus a 28 gallon and a 60 gallon compressor. I still use the smaller tankless compressors for ease of movement. I have the larger bottles that I can switch quickly, I also have a moisture trap on the smaller compressors. Buy what you need at harbor freight it saves money and they last. I do have the spot sprayer Chuck displayed but to me it’s way too much gun. For good deals the flea market is ok but you might not see anything there for a while. Craigslist is awesome and  Other places like FB market place. I tripped over the small compressors, my wife decided that I’d need a 28 gallon tank if I was going to paint her motorcycle. 

On 7/20/2023 at 8:54 AM, chuck123wapati said:

Thanks Chuck.  I dug through our storage, and while I didn't find any bottles, it turned out that I did have one lid/adapter in the collection of accessories.  I just didn't know what I was looking at.  Regardless I've ordered a set of bottles and lids (local Hobby Lobby didn't have any) so I should be able to start messing around with it this weekend.

On 7/20/2023 at 9:15 AM, Doc Reaper said:

I use the Harbor Freight air brushes that are affordable and durable. I have 3 of the smaller compressors that come from hobby stores, plus a 28 gallon and a 60 gallon compressor. I still use the smaller tankless compressors for ease of movement. I have the larger bottles that I can switch quickly, I also have a moisture trap on the smaller compressors. Buy what you need at harbor freight it saves money and they last. I do have the spot sprayer Chuck displayed but to me it’s way too much gun. For good deals the flea market is ok but you might not see anything there for a while. Craigslist is awesome and  Other places like FB market place. I tripped over the small compressors, my wife decided that I’d need a 28 gallon tank if I was going to paint her motorcycle. 

Yeah, I can see that a trip to H.F. is in my future.  I should be able to start messing around with what I have, but there are a couple bits that I'll probably want (like the moisture trap).

On 7/19/2023 at 6:43 PM, bladegrinder said:

I have a small glass jar that connects to the bottom of the brush verse's the open container, I can see making a huge mess with an open container.

Agreed.  I ran some acetone through it last night using the cup just to clean it out.  I didn't actually spill any, but without some sort of holder I can see that it would be a royal PITA to use that way.  I might play around with the cup until the bottles arrive, but I think long-term the cup really won't be all that practical for me.

/dwight