fredk

Add partitions in a quiver?

I'm still making a quiver for #1 favourite dottir. On our irregular recent phone conversation she just happened to mention that her present quiver had partitions to make 3 sections for her arrows. She says she likes this and would like it in her new quiver

Any suggestions on how to make 3 or even 4 sections?

I'm using a special piece of embossed leather and was going to do just a basic folded over bag type. I have this leather cut to size and shape but now opened up. Other than the join of the two edges to close it and at its mouth I cant sew anywhere else.

I was thinking; two sort of tubes of leather sewn to one larger piece to enclose them, then this larger piece glued to the inside of the special leather and then just sewn at the mouth of the quiver, with maybe some sort of re-enforcement around the opening overlapping the inner and outer leather

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Last quiver i made i used thin walled abs black plumbing pipe. I used 5 pieces of 1 1/2 inch diameter. They was all cut from one stick of pipe. I glued a piece of foam in the bottoms and put caps on the ends. I bundled the pipes together 3 in one row and 2 on top of the 3. Strapped them together tight with some scrap lace pieces and slid them down into quiver. They set a couple inches down into quiver shell so the pipes arent seen unless lookin down into it. My customer wanted to be able to keep a couple arrows with his 1 inch broad heads seperate and be able carry several small game point and target point arrows. The pipe does add a little bit of weight but not terrible. Ill see if i can find a pic of the quiver i did with the pipes and post it on here. I seen a bunch of the quivers for sale on the webs specially the hip style quivers had some sort of pipes to seperate the arrows so i used my construction and plumbing background and made it happen. Hope this helps.

Caveat: I only know archery from Robin Hood movies. But my first idea was plumbing pipe as well. The second, if plastic is unacceptable, a leather insert bag. One big tube with two dividers would do. Depending on how much wear there is on the inside of a quiver, I would not even glue it (supposing the leather is stiff enough to stay in place), but just sew the two layers of leather together at the mouth of the quiver. That way the two parts can be separated for repair. 

Thanks for the ideas. I'd like to avoid use of plastic or cardboard tubes

4 minutes ago, fredk said:

Thanks for the ideas. I'd like to avoid use of plastic or cardboard tubes

My first thought was the plastic tubes that go inside golf bags but if you don't want plastic you could make the tubes from thin leather, just sew em inside out along the edge on the machine and turn em right side out, stitch em together top and bottom and insert as one piece.

make one tube out of very thin leather about 1/3 rd the size of the quiver then place it in the center and sew it at the top in two places equal distance from each side to create three equal spaces and at the bottom before sewing up the bottom. or maybe easier would be to glue it in and stitch the the top. 

use a square piece of wood or flat on two sides put the leather tube on it like a sock and apply the glue to the sides and slide it into your quiver and apply pressure to set the glue on each side.

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

use a square piece of wood or flat on two sides put the leather tube on it like a sock and apply the glue to the sides and slide it into your quiver and apply pressure to set the glue on each side.

Similar to what @chuck123wapati said, Stohlman describes a wood and leather insert for golf clubs (Case Making vol. 3).  It's a piece of 1/4" plywood covered with leather and wrapped in a leather collar that fits inside the top of the golf bag so the insert is recessed  ~2" from the top.  The leather collar is glued and tacked to the edge of the plywood and the assembly is inserted in the bag and sewn in place.  Forgot to mention that the insert has holes for the clubs.

Edited by TomE

Thanks again peeps. Plenty of ideas to ponder over

But I kinda like this one;

11 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

make one tube out of very thin leather about 1/3 rd the size of the quiver then place it in the center and sew it at the top in two places equal distance from each side to create three equal spaces and at the bottom before sewing up the bottom. or maybe easier would be to glue it in and stitch the the top. 

Just a thought but I'd wet mould a piece of reasonably stiff hide over some plastic tubes (using them only as a former) then trim it to be a snug fit and not glue or stitch it in. It may be an advantage to be able to take it out if your daughter ever wants to.

I've made an assumption that she's not usoing broadhead arrows, since we don't do boy hunting in the British Isles and broadheads just wreck targets. If that's so, basic target points wont snag or dislodge a push-fit insert.

interesting idea

Can you make a wooden skeleton for the interior then wrap it with leather?

A wooden ring on the top and bottom with two pieces of wood to create the dividers

Another decent idea, thank you

How about make it in the flat, do whatever to make the partitions, bring the two edges together and use a fringe all the way down to hide the stitching. Or use laces to join the two sides and make a fringe at the same time. Not everyone likes fringes but I do.

Thank you for another idea. I'll be re-enforcing the join, gluing it and lacing it. But I do believe No.1 Favourite Dottir doesn't like fringes.

No progress on this yet as I've been giving my leather room a really good sorting out. I'd run out of any surface to actually cut and work on. Tools sorted and put away, all those odd bottles of dye put away, why did I keep so many empty Fiebings 4 oz (US) plastic dye bottles?

10 minutes ago, fredk said:

Thank you for another idea. I'll be re-enforcing the join, gluing it and lacing it. But I do believe No.1 Favourite Dottir doesn't like fringes.

No progress on this yet as I've been giving my leather room a really good sorting out. I'd run out of any surface to actually cut and work on. Tools sorted and put away, all those odd bottles of dye put away, why did I keep so many empty Fiebings 4 oz (US) plastic dye bottles?

Because they might be useful one day?;)

:lol:  :thumbsup: