ArkieNewbie

Veg Tanned Satchel Bag

Hey everybody! I finished up this bag last weekend and wanted to share it with y'all. The body is 4/5oz. veg tanned and the flap is a double layer of the same leather. All hardware is solid brass. Hopefully this will last a lifetime for whoever winds up with it. Let me know what y'all think!

IMG_8809.jpg

IMG_8808.jpg

IMG_8807.jpg

IMG_8806.jpg

Good stitching, I like the look of brass on my projects as well, it patinas so well with the leather.

Classy !!!!!  well done 

That's a smart looking bag and my wife would approve of the flap closure.  Nice Work.

That's a really nice looking bag, great work!

18 hours ago, Seagrove59 said:

Good stitching, I like the look of brass on my projects as well, it patinas so well with the leather.

Thanks! I got a Class 26 a few months back and I've been slowly getting better. I used size 207 thread on everything on this bag for durability and for the look on the flap. 

17 hours ago, Gezzer said:

Classy !!!!!  well done 

Thank you!

15 hours ago, TomE said:

That's a smart looking bag and my wife would approve of the flap closure.  Nice Work.

Thank you sir! 

15 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

Looks great. Very nice bag. Brass & leather is hard to beat.

Thanks! I agree! Solid natural brass is my go to. 

12 hours ago, bladegrinder said:

That's a really nice looking bag, great work!

Thanks so much! 

12 hours ago, ArkieNewbie said:

I got a Class 26 a few months back

IIRC you started on a flat bed, how do like going to a cylinder arm with better access to sew different things?

Clean work - looks great! 

@ArkieNewbie,

Did you have trouble turning the body of the bag after sewing it?  I don't usually make turn bags and have never made one of Veg Tan.  I have a friend that made a "possible bag" from Veg Tan and has had fits trying to turn it.  Just checking to see if you have some advice.  Thanks,  Jim

On 9/9/2023 at 3:15 PM, jrdunn said:

@ArkieNewbie,

Did you have trouble turning the body of the bag after sewing it?  I don't usually make turn bags and have never made one of Veg Tan.  I have a friend that made a "possible bag" from Veg Tan and has had fits trying to turn it.  Just checking to see if you have some advice.  Thanks,  Jim

Morning Jim! I didn't have a ton of trouble but it was much more difficult to turn than a chrome tanned bag. My technique for this was to work the leather a little before stitching, bending all of the panels back and forth to soften them up a little. Then I  started at the bottom seams and worked it about half way out by pushing with my fist in each corner. Then I grabbed the top of the bag and push with my thumbs where the bag was rolling over to get it rolled the rest of the way. I did that on each side and it seemed to work pretty well. From this experience I won't be attempting a bag like this with veg tan heavier than 4/5oz. I think it would end up being too stiff to roll without popping some stitches. 

On 9/8/2023 at 10:02 PM, Burkhardt said:

IIRC you started on a flat bed, how do like going to a cylinder arm with better access to sew different things?

The Class 26 is my first machine. I went to it straight from hand stitching so I don't have any experience with a flat bed to compare it to. I went straight to the cylinder arm because I make a lot of leather patch hats and the cylinder arm was essential for those. 

I do LOVE the cylinder arm though. As you alluded to I just have such great access to stitch things on it I just couldn't do on a flat bed. 

On 9/9/2023 at 1:43 PM, Viking said:

Clean work - looks great! 

Thank you sir! I appreciate it!

I really like the bag. Clean looking with nice stitching. If there is one thing I would look at is the outside pocket.

Maybe put a zipper for the opening about an inch down. Brass of course.  Also maybe fold the top over to address that raw edge. Might look good if you skived it down a bit.

Just my opinion

2 minutes ago, Deanr said:

I really like the bag. Clean looking with nice stitching. If there is one thing I would look at is the outside pocket.

Maybe put a zipper for the opening about an inch down. Brass of course.  Also maybe fold the top over to address that raw edge. Might look good if you skived it down a bit.

Just my opinion

I appreciate the input! I agree a zipper would be a nice addition. I am still a little apprehensive with zippers.

I do duffle bags, each one has a side pocketsimilar to yours and a center zipper. I was a little intimidated until my first one. Then I realized how easy it is when using a machine. Trust me, the other operations on your bag are more complicated.

9 hours ago, ArkieNewbie said:

Morning Jim! I didn't have a ton of trouble but it was much more difficult to turn than a chrome tanned bag. My technique for this was to work the leather a little before stitching, bending all of the panels back and forth to soften them up a little. Then I  started at the bottom seams and worked it about half way out by pushing with my fist in each corner. Then I grabbed the top of the bag and push with my thumbs where the bag was rolling over to get it rolled the rest of the way. I did that on each side and it seemed to work pretty well. From this experience I won't be attempting a bag like this with veg tan heavier than 4/5oz. I think it would end up being too stiff to roll without popping some stitches. 

Thank you for the tip!  Nice bag.

Jim