yuma

Ammo pouch

Made an ammo pouch for a mate of mine, for either 22's or air rifle slugs.  First of this type of pouch I have made so there was a few mistakes....should have used a magnetic catch instead of the Sam Brown stud, wet molded the ends which was good but found that my fingernails scratched the soft leather when I was sewing..a few other things I would do differently but thats for the next one...

Roger

Ammo pouch.JPG

It looks good. Molded ends are nice. Running the stitch groove all the way around the top and front helps give it a finished look, like putting an edge bead on it. I seldom leave plain edges on things myself. A magnetic catch for the next one will make it easier to close. Good work.

I like that.  I need to make something along those lines for 22 ammo.  If I throw a larger box of 22 in my range bag, about half the time it pops open and spills in transport.

13 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

It looks good. Molded ends are nice. Running the stitch groove all the way around the top and front helps give it a finished look, like putting an edge bead on it. I seldom leave plain edges on things myself. A magnetic catch for the next one will make it easier to close. Good work.

So are you saying he should have stitched all the way around in the groove lines or in between the stitching groove and the edge run a beader?

2 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

So are you saying he should have stitched all the way around in the groove lines or in between the stitching groove and the edge run a beader?

Niether. An edge beader, a groover or a stitch groove along a plain edge stops the eye from just wandering off the piece. It gives it a finished look.

Look at the edges that have no stitching on this  holster to see what I mean.

j29D7vp.jpg

That's a wonderful pouch. I need to make something like that and thanks for the idea of the magnetic clasp.  I need to keep up my leatherworking and use up all the leather I've bought over the years.  

20 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

Niether. An edge beader, a groover or a stitch groove along a plain edge stops the eye from just wandering off the piece. It gives it a finished look.

Look at the edges that have no stitching on this  holster to see what I mean.

j29D7vp.jpg

So is your first comment a compliment or a suggestion to improve? I read it as you were saying something needed to be added like keep stitching in the groove..

2 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

So is your first comment a compliment or a suggestion to improve? I read it as you were saying something needed to be added like keep stitching in the groove..

You read something into my post that isn't there.

On 9/8/2023 at 6:49 AM, MarshalWill said:

How can that be taken as anything but complimentary? Nowhere did I say the stitching needed to be done any other way. Or that the case was lacking in any way. Or unattractive. Or anything else negative, derogatory or corrective. Yuma made a darn fine pouch and I hope interpreted my post as it was intended.

I accept the praise and I welcome criticism...constructive criticism

Roger

Edited by yuma
additions

I like it a lot. Going to have to think aboat how i can use this.... Good job!.

Looks great, yuma. Simple and effective. I wouldn't worry about any marks on it, if it's used by him then it won't take long to get scuffed/scratched/beatup! Which will all add to its character.

17 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

Running the stitch groove all the way around the top and front helps give it a finished look, like putting an edge bead on it. I seldom leave plain edges on things myself

I misinterpreted your statement, if you would have said "I like the way you ran the stitching groover all the way around ect.", That's why I asked the question and no you didn't say anything about stitching, I asked you that in the first post.