Gezzer

Candle holder .... kind of

With no real project to work on my mind starts grinding . Wife has a bunch of these Tealight candles around the house sooooooooooo

Friction fit and baseball stitch up the back , now I have a project :lol:

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

Nice, I like it.

That's really nice. I like the colors.

Very medieval... cool idea well done.

Thanks folks !

Wife said she'd take 6 dark ones and 6 lighter ones .

IMG_2159.JPG

I like the idea, but candle fires are a big issue, and I'd be worried the leather might get way too hot.  Maybe there is a way to isolate it a bit more from the heat?

They look cute

27 minutes ago, YinTx said:

. . .  and I'd be worried the leather might get way too hot.  . . . 

Maybe not; I can hold a lit tea-light candle in my fingers. The aluminium cup doesn't get too hot

4 minutes ago, fredk said:

Maybe not; I can hold a lit tea-light candle in my fingers. The aluminium cup doesn't get too hot

Maybe, but I don't do candles anymore.  Still cool to the touch after 3/4 or more down?

Valid concerns @YinTx for sure !!

These have around a 125 degree melting point and I have no idea what the flash point is. We have always " ringed " new container candles to get a better burn , doing so seems to change how they melt ( burns more straight down ) . Most times the wick will fall over before the sides melt . While we don't  ever leave them unattended being cautious is NEVER a bad thing and Thank you for calling me on it .

IMG_2162.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

@Gezzer maybe you could  include a slight rim around the edge so that if the candle is lifted, the melted wax will not overflow onto someone's hands? 

I love this pattern though. Do you think you could share the pattern? 

@SUP The " rim " idea is a good one .As to the pattern it is just one I came up with so nothing fancy but here it is as best as I can explain .

First picture is of it on a 1/2 inch grid if that is how you work . Second picture is my attempt at describing it . I used a 50 something year old tin class method of drawing mine ,  but a quick search on the U tube yielded a few ways .  If you go the math route , diameter  x 3.14 , the small arc is 4 5/8 but I made mine  4 7/16 for a tight fit.  For me the lay-out and step method is  easier and works just fine .   The only thing I think this guy did that might not work is start with the larger arc and for my use I started with the short arc as it the critical dimension  1 1/2" , base can vary some ( larger or smaller )

Hope some of this helps .

IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

Great info on cone creation...!!!

way cool IMO.!!:thumbsup:

@Gezzer    thank you!  Your explanation is very  clear. Can't wait to make this!  

Just a word of caution about tea lights. I have a ceramic candle holder that will hold two tea lights sitting on the bottom. My mom gave it to me, so it's pretty special, because she's now gone. The bottom is about the same thickness as a dinner plate.

I set it on my desk one night, with two candles in it. As the tea lights burned down, they caused the bottom of the holder to get so hot that it damaged the finish on my desk! :( 

So, if I were to make that candle holder, I'd have it resting on something heat and fireproof when the candle is burning. 

@Sheilajeanne thank you for that warning. I do not normally use tea lights and this is a further reason not to do so, since I always forget them until they die out. I plan to make these holders a little bigger  for the small glass candle holders which I normally use and which are very plain. I always collect small bowls everywhere I go and place my candles in them. I need them, forgetful that I am.:)

Sup, I thought the holder would act the way the glass tea light holders do, and be thick enough to protect the top of my desk. I was quite surprised when it didn't! :o 

Makes me wonder if the glass holders are safe when the light burns down!

I have 3 holders I know are safe - two are made out of stone, and one has a REALLY thick glass bottom.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

@Sheilajeanne, I did not think of that! None of mine have ever burnt down. Usually they burn down about halfway  in the center and then refuse to stay lighted in the liquid wax, so I throw them away, or rather, store the wax for my wax punch surfaces.

My glass holders are from Ikea. I use their unscented candles. I have no idea what will happen if the entire candle burns down though. They are plain transparent glass, which is why I want to make these lovely leather holders. I think I will let one candle burn down in its glass holder and see what happens. I do not want to damage a leather holder that I take the pains to make.

I may be wrong but I think dry leather is a poor conductor of heat but always be careful and  do your own research and test . And @SUP be sure if you do make some wraps please post some pictures , I love pictures :spoton:

Given that they make welding gloves from leather and blacksmiths and farriers were leather aprons I would have thought naked leather to be very fire resistant. 

Another question is whether that's still the case after dyeing and surface treatment. 

2 hours ago, Klara said:

Given that they make welding gloves from leather and blacksmiths and farriers were leather aprons I would have thought naked leather to be very fire resistant. 

Another question is whether that's still the case after dyeing and surface treatment. 

LOl  Its 4 am and My sour casm cant taake it anymore this thread is insanely silly.

omg they sell tea candles by the billions at Walmart of all places. Do they come with a keep out of reach of children and college graduates sticker? We may need to call an expert to get through this candle thing.

But if your real carful you can put a match to a piece it wont take long to find out. Might want to inform the fire department first though just to be safe .  And yes welding gloves still work ,Mine came dyed blue.. 

Chuck, I'm not much worried about starting a fire, though to be on the safe side, yeah some testing might be a good idea. I once saw the results of what happened when a Jewish family left their Shabbat candles burning in a bowl they THOUGHT was fireproof, then went out somewhere. The result was, even though it didn't catch fire, the whole house was severely smoke damaged, and the dining room table ruined. Cost thousands of dollars to clean the house from top to bottom. Sooo, never ASS-U-ME as the saying goes... 

In my case, I was just REALLY pissed off that the finish on my desk was damaged!  :ranting2:   They also often call tea lights 'warmer candles' and they ain't kidding!  :(

Edited by Sheilajeanne

If you are really concerned; you can buy battery operated LED tea-lights. The LED flickers randomly and the CR2032 battery lasts several days, about 10 days in constant use, far longer than the wax burning. No smoke, so flecks of ash in the air, no heat, no fear of fire if you leave it on alone,  no molten wax to spill, The LED light is as bright as the wax light and the LED bulb is covered by a soft pliable plastic cover made to resemble a flame shape  I can buy them 6 for £1 in a £-shop. I sometimes buy them just for the batteries and or the LED bulbs

Amazon.com: Tea Lights,Flameless Tealight Candles,Rainbow White Glitter LED  Tea Lights,Flickering Bulb Battery Operated Led Tea Lights for  Wedding,Celebrations,Party,Gifts & Festival Celebration,Pack of 12 : Tools  & Home Improvement

These are plain ones but you can buy fancy ones where the plastic case has been moulded to look more like a candle which has burned down a bit, and you can them in different heights and colors

The wax tea-lights I use are scented. You don't get that with the LED lights tho 

@fredk yes those are really  nice and convenient.  I use them too. But I also need real candles for other reasons.

And @chuck123wapati nothing silly about wanting to be safe and people are talking about personal experiences; not conjecture. If @Sheilajeanne's table burned, it is possible others have faced that as well and just been more careful about it from then on, without making a big issue about it, like Sheila Jeanne did not until this subject came up and she mentioned it, which is so nice of her.  I, for one, rather hear about possible dangers than have people say " I should have told you' after I face a problem. I'm sure you feel the same.

Leather gloves are used by welders and blacksmiths usually cowhide which are believed to be able to withstand temperatures of up to 500 degrees C and of course, resist sparks and electric currents. Elk is good as well, I believe.  So leather is probably fire resistant and as long as we make our holders of cow leather or elk and don't let the wax run down the side and catch fire (does it do that?), we should be fine.

Now  I  think that is enough from me on matters other than the lovely candle holders.

Will make them as soon as I make some Halloween things for my daughter!  Those, and the candle holders are exciting projects and short ones too.

@Gezzer, I will put up photographs if I manage to make them reasonably well. If I don't put them up, you can take it to mean that I messed them up.:)

10 hours ago, SUP said:

If you intend to scold someone don't finish with.

(does it do that?), "we should be fine."   it makes you sound silly.  

its 4 am again and I haven't had my coffee. oh so did you try a match or are you going to remain unknowing?