Gezzer

Candle holder .... kind of

36 minutes ago, Gezzer said:

They might at that . Might need leather already cut to speed it up just a little or at the very least patterns  if you are talking about the guy doing the 4 hour classes .

I forget that compasses, protractors and rulers don't get the use they did in grade school anymore. But a guy could get clicker dies made and pop these out by the hundreds or use a laser i guess, do they have badges for laser in boy scouts lol. 

Gezzer and chuck123wapati, Thanks for your replys, I have made candles, and understand the relationship between wick diameter and candle diameter but never encountered ringing.

Sorry, I do not know how to do the @name thing in my reply.

Yes, we've forgotten how this old sort of tech worked!

Both my mom and my dad told us what it was like to live in the era before all houses had electricity. The farm my dad grew up on didn't get it until the late 1940's. My mom's family were without it until they moved to Weston in the 1920's; a small town that has now been absorbed by Toronto. 

I have one thing from that era - a pewter candle holder that belonged to her family. And at a recent family reunion, one of my cousins held a lucky draw for two glass kerosene lanterns that had been passed down from our grandparents. I declined to enter, as I'm getting up there and have no children to leave the lanterns to, and I don't want their history to be lost. 

50 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I forget that compasses, protractors and rulers don't get the use they did in grade school anymore. But a guy could get clicker dies made and pop these out by the hundreds or use a laser i guess, do they have badges for laser in boy scouts lol. 

Remember Chuck it's just scouts now the term boy is apparently offensive. But yet there still allowed to have girl scouts and you don't see no boys over there selling cookies. This poor world is so screwed up. 

38 minutes ago, Wepster said:

Sorry, I do not know how to do the @name thing in my reply.

Well I didn't either :lol:   

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

If I had a clicker press , I think this might be one to get a die for .   I would have never made a carpenter if it were not for Geometry class !!!!!!!! ;)

@Gezzer  thank you for that link to the tread you started about the @thingy Learning lots here! Not always leather! Makes an old guy who just hit 70 feel pretty good (not because I did not know, theres is a world of that, but because it feels good to learn). 

4 hours ago, Wepster said:

because it feels good to learn

Agree 100%!!

The day we should stop learning is the day we are put 6ft under! I love learning new things and there is still plenty out there to learn =)

35 minutes ago, Heartless said:

Agree 100%!!

The day we should stop learning is the day we are put 6ft under! I love learning new things and there is still plenty out there to learn =)

:17:

3 hours ago, Heartless said:

Yes indeedy!!  :yeah:

On 10/9/2023 at 5:15 AM, Gezzer said:

don't know how long they will be a tight fit but I really think it will be quite a long time, I am sure one could make some sort of ledge inside  ( silicone or hot glue or something ) when they are made to insure no problems

I was thinking about this the other day.  How about gluing or stitching a strip of leather to the inside to act as a ledge?  Might have to do two layers to catch the candle depending on the slope of the sides, but it seems to me that would work.

/dwight

Depending on pattern, some small diameter brass rods run through would support the tea light, and provide an accent. Or decorative nails, or other embellishments to cover the wire or rods run through to support the tea light (or votive holder, depending on size). Or my idea of small block of wood sitting there, cheap, no work (or votive holder upside down, shot glass when not in use, 2 pieces of cardboard with lap joint (maybe not correct term) on edge, thread spool, or.....

@DwightT and @Wepster good ideas all around !! 

If the friction fit loosens over time a simple wrap of masking tape on the candle tin would work . I  think it will take a small boat load of candles before it is a problem  but I may be wrong . 

This is really nice, may try it if you don't mind.

I'm a bit late posting, but they are simple and practical , great  :)

@WalterF  Thank you and by all means make some .... but I'll need some pics:spoton:

@Handstitched Thank you Sir !!!