DieselTech

Swivel knife help!

Everybody I need some help in selecting a swivel knife blade for doing these 1"×1" letters. 

What type of blade do I need. 1/4" angle blade?

1/4" hollow ground blade? 

My swivel knives all have 3/8" blades now. 

Any & all help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

phpa5APxAPM.jpg

While I'm far from a swivel knife expert, I would use my 1/4" angled blade on something like that. 

Randy

13 minutes ago, rktaylor said:

While I'm far from a swivel knife expert, I would use my 1/4" angled blade on something like that. 

Randy

Ok thanks. I did just order me another swivel knife. I ordered it with a 1/4" angle blade & got a spare 1/4" hollow ground blade. 

It's a double bearing Zhong Jiang premium swivel knife made in Japan. Their stuff looks really high quality.

Thanks I appreciate it. 

I have a 1/8th inch blade from leather wranglers and it is great for this 

1 hour ago, purplefox66 said:

I have a 1/8th inch blade from leather wranglers and it is great for this 

I think I will order one of them as well. 1/8" blade might be the ticket for these letters I want to carve. 

An angled blade is good for this. Either the 1/4" or 1/8" should do well, as others here have already mentioned. Try both sizes and see which you like better.

45 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

An angled blade is good for this. Either the 1/4" or 1/8" should do well, as others here have already mentioned. Try both sizes and see which you like better.

Yeah I've heard a lot of people tell me, you will know when your find a swivel knife setup that just clicks with you. 

Ok guys & gals, I got this swivel knife from James Linnell, & here is my 1st cuts with it. 

It's a really nice dual bearing swivel knife. I also got 2 other blades. A 1/4" hollow ground & a 1/4" angled. 

I'll have to try the other 2 blades & see which blade I like the most. 

phpu5VEqKAM.jpg

Edited by DieselTech
Misspelling

I really like Barry Kings swivel knife blades. I prefer his 1/4 inch "thin" blades for really detailed work.

I just got 7 craftool ergos off of here. I'm gonna redo the barrels in stacked leather and wrap the yokes in leather. Gonna start teaching basic leather carving and tooling to kids for free so the trade doesn't die off.

1 hour ago, Simplejack1985 said:

I just got 7 craftool ergos off of here. I'm gonna redo the barrels in stacked leather and wrap the yokes in leather. Gonna start teaching basic leather carving and tooling to kids for free so the trade doesn't die off.

I would like to see your craftool ergo revamp with the stacked leather. Might have to get me 1 to try the same thing with. Keep us all posted. 

Thanks.