PAMuzzle

Removing Blue Tape adhesive residue

I made 2 dress belts with hand stamped designs.  I covered the flesh side with blue painters tape.  I became ill after finishing the stamping and left the tape on for a week or so.

After pulling the tape, it left adhesive residue.  
What would you recommend as the easiest way to remove the adhesive?

Thanks

Edited by PAMuzzle

Are they a lined dress belt? Could we get a couple pics to see what we are dealing with? 

Have you tried sticking new tape to it & then removing the new tape? Lots of times that works for me to remove the tape residue. 

Sounds like your tape might be getting old. 

Keep us posted. 

Try WD40. Spray it on a rough cloth then rub it on the belt. 

Diesel….It is not a lined belt (10/11 oz). I am going to use Tokonole or gum trag to smooth out the flesh side, tape pulled it rough.

i tried the blue tape, didn’t work.  Maybe I’ll get a new roll of strong packaging tape and try that to remove the residue.  While I’m there I’ll pick up a new roll of Blue Tape.

Fredk…don’t think any finish would adhere to the WD40 ???  But I don’t know for sure.

Edited by PAMuzzle

1 hour ago, PAMuzzle said:

…don’t think any finish would adhere to the WD40 ???  But I don’t know for sure.

You are only using a small amount. I've never had a problem with it.  If you think you might its easy to wash out; a bit of detergent in soapy water wiped over it removes any WD40 which might be left 

Edited by fredk

I wouldn't think it would be a issue if you're going to slick it with Trag or Tokenole.  I ones I've had the same problem with I've put baby powder on it.  I just finished a wallet with Tokonole and didn't have any stickiness to it after .

Ok.  Thanks guys.  Good to know.  The belts are extra long so I can test a small bit at the end.

Hi

I had that problem with packing tape, I ended up just putting the gum trag over the top of the tape residue and then Resolene (half Strength).  You couldn't feel the tape residue after I did that.

Hope this helps

If none of the suggestions work, try getting an artgum eraser.  They're good for removing all sorts of adhesive residue.

On 12/22/2023 at 8:50 PM, tothemew said:

If none of the suggestions work, try getting an artgum eraser.  They're good for removing all sorts of adhesive residue.

Lighter Fluid . it a great light, flash dry, solvent.

Also when I gluing any materials, and I accidentally drag some residue on any finish surface with glue on fingers .The instant I see my screwup, I grab the roll of heavy clear package wrap tape I keep. then stick the tape onto/over top of the sticky glue speck to pull it off the finish.