Sign in to follow this  
WalterF

This weeks projects

Thought it might be easier to combine projects into one post.

The leather work area we are setting up a tooling only area, I was having problems with glue and dye marks. Now they will be separate. This is what hopefully is going to work for me from learning. Most important things are the lighting which can be raised and lowered, and the body position for longer tooling. This works for me, but we all have different likes and wants.1087382728_LeatherRoomTable.thumb.jpg.a6a794b088b84e3754cdf7db851fafc3.jpg

Wanted to try a rifle sling with oak and acorns.

Working on a pair of Birkenstocks for Gini, she loves sunflowers. The inside is lined with milled veg-tan. It makes it nice and soft on the foot. First real time working with it.

1.thumb.jpg.f972d75d20eab661bf860f92c2d58c2c.jpg

Beautiful work! I love the slings. Almost reminds me of a Don Gonzales pattern. 

Love the custom birkenstock sandal work as well. Very nice quality stuff coming off you work bend. 

Just awesome. 

9 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Beautiful work! I love the slings. Almost reminds me of a Don Gonzales pattern. 

Love the custom birkenstock sandal work as well. Very nice quality stuff coming off you work bend. 

Just awesome. 

Thank you, the rifle sling is a Don Gonzalez pattern.

Thank you Gini is excited for me to finish the other one now.

3 hours ago, WalterF said:

Thank you, the rifle sling is a Don Gonzalez pattern.

Thank you Gini is excited for me to finish the other one now.

Thanks WalterF, was the oak leaf & acorn tooling pattern in with the sling template? 

I've been thinking of ordering some of his patterns. 

Very nice work. Just love the sandals. You just got to post a pic when both of them are finished.

15 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Thanks WalterF, was the oak leaf & acorn tooling pattern in with the sling template? 

I've been thinking of ordering some of his patterns. 

Very nice work. Just love the sandals. You just got to post a pic when both of them are finished.

Yes the acorn pattern was in the pack, had to convert it from the sling without the thumbhole and fill in where he had a place for initials.

He has very nice patterns and usually includes various tooling patterns to go with it.

Will post when done.

Nice work. I also have the dg patterns.

11 hours ago, Hags said:

Nice work. I also have the dg patterns.

Thank you, He has some good stuff.

Made a holster yesterday. It is the Hand of G-d from the movie 3:10 to Yuma. The Whil Ghormley pattern is fun, except for sewing the toe piece. Followed the instructions except for color and a few different stamps

.1821976818_Filledweb.thumb.jpg.fd0072ba5d6dd4fe52d3e5f883ce9122.jpg

Edited by WalterF

Very nice work, as usual. I love way a sun flower looks on leather. I am  going to definitely find a project to put one on. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

22 hours ago, rleather said:

Very nice work, as usual. I love way a sun flower looks on leather. I am  going to definitely find a project to put one on. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

Thank you, for me they are one of the more time consuming things. All the cutting and beveling on a small scale. Merry Christmas to you also.

19 hours ago, purplefox66 said:

Beautiful work as usual from you.

Thank you for the compliment.

Nice looking work space, and excellent work. 

On 12/24/2023 at 12:31 PM, spacedog said:

Nice looking work space, and excellent work. 

Thank you, I am enjoying it.

Worked some on the belt, it is going to be lined and the buckle isn't here yet. Still have the loops to put on.217646703_Holsteronbeltweb.thumb.jpg.b69e4f7a8235c34603a8a46faaaf7f0d.jpg

Billet Side web.jpg

I did one of those earlier this year, using the same pattern! The toe plug was a bit tricky, like you say, but the rest of the pattern worked out well. 

The customer gave me an erroneous belt measurement, but a test fitting caught it early enough that all I had to do was make another longer billet for the buckle.

Here he is wearing it, in all its tooled glory.  

Wear B.jpg

Edited by DJole

On 12/21/2023 at 10:18 PM, WalterF said:

Front.thumb.jpg.1f46c8c74f6625cdc9062f42acf08c43.jpgSides.thumb.jpg.42e308e3e47745ed91e032403055f620.jpg

super clean tooling   nice work

The entire belt and holster setup looks really amazing.

On the sandals, how did you attach the leather to the base?  I see stitches, but can't imagine you stitched into the cork...

On 1/4/2024 at 9:53 AM, SeaCitadel said:

The entire belt and holster setup looks really amazing.

On the sandals, how did you attach the leather to the base?  I see stitches, but can't imagine you stitched into the cork...

Thank you, the leather was glued to the sides using Barge. Scuffed up the cork for better adhesion and added screw nails to help. The nails were installed after the photos.