nycgirl

Pfaff 335

Hi,

I was offered to buy this machine used from a mechanic. I know that there a lot of people of the forum that have a lot of experience with them. I would love any opinions on the condition, what to look for, information on the sub class. It looks like it-s a 335 G 113. Here are the pictures I was sent. Any opinions/information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

2788048711580349705.jpg

2953452774544297865.jpg

The G means it has a bigger hook and bobbin. Other than that, someone else will certainly chime in.

EDIT: Here's a more modern 335 set up for binding. It says it'll handle up to 207 thread, so I like that.

https://sunnysewingcenter.com/index.php/product/pfaff-335-single-needle-cylinder-arm-walking-foot-sewing-machine-for-binding/

Edited by AlZilla

26 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

The G means it has a bigger hook and bobbin. Other than that, someone else will certainly chime in.

EDIT: Here's a more modern 335 set up for binding. It says it'll handle up to 207 thread, so I like that.

https://sunnysewingcenter.com/index.php/product/pfaff-335-single-needle-cylinder-arm-walking-foot-sewing-machine-for-binding/

Is the 335 I have in the picture a binding machine?

1 minute ago, nycgirl said:

Yes. This machine is a synchronized binder machine. It is one of the best money can buy. Do you intend to sew items that require edge binding?

18 minutes ago, nycgirl said:

No telling, for me,anyway. Apparently a binding machine has a different feed type and maybe other things I don't know about. There is not a binder on your potential machine that I see. The binder on the linked machine is all those cylindrical things on the cylinder arm between the needle and the pillar.

Evidently, the feed on a binding setup just goes back and forth without going up and down.

11 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Yes. This machine is a synchronized binder machine. It is one of the best money can buy. Do you intend to sew items that require edge binding?

@Wizcrafts , I'm curious if you knew just by the model number or if there's something you see that told you it's a binder?

1 hour ago, nycgirl said:

I not into pfaff's much . I thing that a G model does not necessarily make it a 'factory set-up' dedicated binding set-up on the 335 . You need pay attention to the feed dog movement, and if the needle-plate set-up, and feed dog, binding swing plate witnessed to move together .
The dedicated binding pfaff 335 has unison feed, but the feed dogs only move horizontal back and forth motion, with No Up Down oscillation moment.

( I  think ?? )  that if it is the normal unison feed 335. you can just change-out needle plate, dogs and feet to fit your needs .

Edited by nylonRigging

17 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

@Wizcrafts , I'm curious if you knew just by the model number or if there's something you see that told you it's a binder?

It already has the synchronized sliding plate and spring attached to the arm. All it needs if the actual folder part and a platter to hold the edge tape.

There have been other discussions about using a Pfaff 335 for standard sewing. It usually requires alterations to the feed dog. As is, the feeder is a flat, po9lished plate that moved forward and backward. The inside and outside feet will have a different shape than a standard sewing machine.

2 minutes ago, nylonRigging said:

( I  think ?? )  that if it is the normal unison feed 335. you can just change-out needle plate, dogs and feet to fit your needs

If that machine is a binder machine as built, there will not be any way to get 4 way motion on the feed dog. That motion is caused by cams that would likely be missing on a binder machine. It was not intended for normal sewing operations. I was offered a Pfaff 335 for a couple hundred bucks at the same time I bought a long arm big bobbin Singer patcher (over a decade ago). After seeing how strange the feed operated, I declined the Pfaff.

If you haven't bought the machine yet, ask the seller if the feed dog has normal up/down/forward/backward motion, or just forward/backward? It will be one or the other, not both..

4 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

If that machine is a binder machine as built, there will not be any way to get 4 way motion on the feed dog. That motion is caused by cams that would likely be missing on a binder machine. It was not intended for normal sewing operations. I was offered a Pfaff 335 for a couple hundred bucks at the same time I bought a long arm big bobbin Singer patcher (over a decade ago). After seeing how strange the feed operated, I declined the Pfaff.

If you haven't bought the machine yet, ask the seller if the feed dog has normal up/down/forward/backward motion, or just forward/backward? It will be one or the other, not both..

I just now noticed it say's H3 on the provided Pic. from OP . I think that the clue to dedicated binding model ? .. is that -H3 ?.. or is it a -113 on the plate #'s ???

-

2953452774544297865.thumb.jpg.b0fa226050d8dd0f68a8f6566de3f04a.jpg.e3b360073f574af2ffd5bdfb19d25e53.jpg

-

Edited by nylonRigging

10 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

It already has the synchronized sliding plate and spring attached to the arm.

OK, thanks. I see what you're talking about with the slider plate and spring. Looks like it's missing a cover over the hook/bobbin.

Always something to learn here.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

Some, but I am not looking for a binding machine. Thank you for letting me know.

41 minutes ago, nylonRigging said:

I just now noticed it say's H3 on the provided Pic. from OP . I think that the clue to dedicated binding model ? .. is that -H3 ?.. or is it a -113 on the plate #'s ???

-

2953452774544297865.thumb.jpg.b0fa226050d8dd0f68a8f6566de3f04a.jpg.e3b360073f574af2ffd5bdfb19d25e53.jpg

-

I think you are right! It's H3 not 113.  Do you know what the H3 means?

26 minutes ago, nycgirl said:

Some, but I am not looking for a binding machine. Thank you for letting me know.

I think you are right! It's H3 not 113.  Do you know what the H3 means?

I pretty sure that the ( H3 ) is factory designation on the dedicated binding feed model of 335 . I would not mind finding a good deal on a older clean little 335 H3 head for tape binding . I for most part use needle-feed flatbeds for binding, but I have one cylinder arm unison feed right now set-up for binding also .

So seller only selling you 335 Head only ? no table or drive ? . If you buying the 335 head from seller just take your time and string it up and turn it over by hand on some material to make sure it feeding and lays down nice stitching before buying.

Edited by nylonRigging

I found these Google search results for the Pfaff 335gH3 on Leatherworker.net.

1 hour ago, nylonRigging said:

I pretty sure that the ( H3 ) is factory designation on the dedicated binding feed model of 335 . I would not mind finding a good deal on a older clean little 335 H3 head for tape binding . I for most part use needle-feed flatbeds for binding, but I have one cylinder arm unison feed right now set-up for binding also .

So seller only selling you 335 Head only ? no table or drive ? . If you buying the 335 head from seller just take your time and string it up and turn it over by hand on some material to make sure it feeding and lays down nice stitching before buying.

He is selling it with a table and servo motor. He is local and delivery would be included. I'm just not looking for a binding machine :( He is asking $1400 and is located in NY. 

The dealer is claiming that the machine isn't set up for binding.  Can you please remind me how to verify that? I check the motion of the feed dogs?

I have a similar machine SEIKO LSC8BV and use it regularly for sewing and binding as an amator. To understand if it is a machine for binding, you should turn the hand wheel, without material for sewing, as if you were sewing and observe the feed dog if it only moves back and forth ( binding) or if it simultaneously rises and falls over the needle plate (sewing only, not for binding).

66.jpg

binding plate.jpg

8 hours ago, nycgirl said:

The dealer is claiming that the machine isn't set up for binding.  Can you please remind me how to verify that? I check the motion of the feed dogs?

But you will run into problems where it isn't going to feed properly since the feed dog doesn't go up when it goes back & drops down when it goes foward.You need something like a Consew 227R or Juki 341 type of machine with what's called a 4 motion feed.

I have an old model 335 that was set up for binding, I initially wanted it for normal sewing so bought a replacement needle plate and feet, and while it didn't have an "oscillating" feed dog it worked ok. I've since restored it to a binder. My suggestion is unless a) you want a binder or b) it's very cheap then look for another machine if you want to do "normal" sewing.

My Adler 69 is almost the same as the Pfaff 335 and as Dikman says they work ok. Mine sews very well, it just needs a little help climbing over big differences in thickness but once it's up there it's fine. As @xnikolaos pointed out you just have to look at the end plate to see if it's a binder or not.