Asavva

pouch type bag

A friend requested a chrome tan bag in the style of a dice pouch I'd made before.

01.jpg

Wasn't able to find any other larger bags like this, so just sized up the pouch and added a handle.

This is my fourth leatherworking project, and I'm reasonably happy with how the design turned out, even if the stitching and edges are a bit off in places.

02.jpg

03.jpg

I'd love to hear some feedback or suggestions that I could try if I decide to make this again.

Edited by Northmount
Uploaded 3rd party hosted photos here

Looks great. Nice work. You do nice work. 

awesome little bag you did great!!!! My only suggestion for your next one is maybe a liner.

52 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

awesome little bag you did great!!!! My only suggestion for your next one is maybe a liner.

Yeah, and maybe a inside pocket or two.  My wife loves pockets.  I don't know why.  She spends most of the time looking for something lost in the main body??? :rolleyes2:  As usual, JM2C.

Jim

That is a nice bag! :)

@jrdunnHow would you put inside pockets into a pouch bag? Would it not affect the shape? 

Edited by SUP

I agree, nice work. And pockets

@SUP If the pockets are smallish, individual and kept low they'll not affect the draw string closure

Edited by fredk

I like it, it's a good-looking design. Maybe not pockets but a divider or two across between the stitch lines. Nice work.

1 hour ago, SUP said:

That is a nice bag! :)

@jrdunnHow would you put inside pockets into a pouch bag? Would it not affect the shape? 

23 minutes ago, fredk said:

I agree, nice work. And pockets

@SUP If the pockets are smallish, individual and kept low they'll not affect the draw string closure

Fredk's advice is sound.  I also expect they'd also need to be thin and flexible, like the lining.  I'm not sure that it wouldn't need to be fabric of some sort.  Satin or synthetic of some sort, maybe?  Sup, I did only claim that it was 2 cents worth.

Nice, the colors and the hardware make a very classy bag. The work is beautiful.

I am planning a draw type bag for SWMBO, I was thinking at least one loop for one of these key ring clips

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TC6KC5V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and some sort of hanging pouch for cell phone. OR, cell phone pouch, with ring for one of those key ring hooks! so a loop in the bag on each side. 

Edited by Wepster

You guys are great!  You start with a great looking bag and just keep enhancing it.  I wasn't looking to make one of these but y'all are getting me in the mood.

@jrdunn me too. I have kilos & kilos of flexible chrome tan upholstery gauge leather to use up

Love the color combo, very nice work!:thumbsup:

@fredk  A divider across the stitched lines like @MarshalWill says, with a soft flexible leather would work well, I think.

@Asavva what a wonderfully versatile pattern you have some up with! A pouch bag made with one piece of leather would not easily allow additions of pockets or compartments but this pattern is not only elegant and beautiful but allows those additions as well. And lovely color combination too.

@jrdunn Your question is certainly worth a lot more than 2 cents since it resulted in so many useful ideas.:)

Now I can't wait to make a pouch bag either.

Thank you for the kind words, everyone!

Seeing as everyone loves the design, I feel it would be wrong to not give credit to the wonderful pattern I modified this from.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1035943663

And here is how the sides of the pouch look side by side (original pattern and my sized up version)

04.jpg

Edited by Northmount
Uploaded 3rd party hosted photos here

@Asavva,  How is your friend liking the bag?  I started thinking about making it and wondered if while carrying it the handle might open the bag?  Loosen the drawstring.  When I start considering a project, sometimes I overthink it.

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by jrdunn
Brain and fingers not working together

2 hours ago, jrdunn said:

@Asavva,  How is your friend liking the bag?  I started thinking about making it and wondered if while carrying it the handle might open the bag?  Loosen the drawstring.  When I start considering a project, sometimes I overthink it.

Thanks,

Jim

Just gave it to her recently, as she just got back from vacation, but with an unburnished leather cord like I made, it has enough friction to not open up on its own during every day use.

In fact, it can sometimes be annoying to open it up  due to how much friction the unburnished leather fiber has.

It'll become easier to open with use, as the cord smoothes out, but if that's an issue, burnishing the leather or using a rounded leather cord may be a solution.

@Asavva Please repost your photos on this site.  3rd party hosted files disappear with any changes to the user account and policies of the host.  Then this thread becomes useless to anyone in the future.

A burnished or rounded leather cord sounds like a good idea. It would probably still have enough friction to keep it closed. fIt might also give it a more finished look.

3 hours ago, Northmount said:

@Asavva Please repost your photos on this site.  3rd party hosted files disappear with any changes to the user account and policies of the host.  Then this thread becomes useless to anyone in the future.

Oh, that's really unfortunate. The files are too big to attach directly to the post, what would you suggest I do instead? 

4 minutes ago, Asavva said:

Oh, that's really unfortunate. The files are too big to attach directly to the post, what would you suggest I do instead? 

You need to reduce the file size.  Some suggestions and helps here.  Also there are lots of Apps, programs, and online assists on the web for reducing photo file sizes.  800 pixels in the longest dimension is quite adequate for posting here.  Phone and many computer monitors and browsers don't display high res photos.  Also it helps members that are on low speed connections download photos without in some cases waiting 30 minutes or more.

On 1/18/2024 at 11:52 AM, Asavva said:

I downloaded the files from your host.  They were 39 to 83 kB each.  Not too big to upload here.  I edited your posts and inserted the files, so they are now saved on this site.  Looks like maybe your host automatically resizes photos you save their, so that might be your easiest route to resize them.  Save them there, then download and post here.