ksteers

Durkopp 17 on Facebook marketplace

I drove an hour and a half in Northern Wisconsin to pick up this unit. The kid knew nothing about it. Other than that was in the corner of the garage for all of his life. It almost looks like it’s covered in body shop, dust and in that last picture, it looks like it’s been scuffed, and at some point somebody was going to paint it, unless somebody else can school me    I’m gonna try electrolysis soon .   it looks to be all there; and yes, I know virtually no parts are available so I’m happy about that fact

frees6wBbEN.jpeg

xRpiY88.jpeg

tdnyUMW.jpeg

ZKkKU2v.jpeg

B5nb2rz.jpeg

flM8n3b.jpeg

if none of those links work, I’m gonna giggle and try again

Edited by Northmount
copied 3rd party hosted photos and uploaded here

Looks like a nice project,do a search I think another member restored one of these a few yrs ago.

Be careful when taking it apart - parts are no longer available for this machine!!!! There is nothing Singer or Adler compatible on this machine. Looks like 1 or 2 plain springs are missing.

Also leave the top shaft in place. Do not remove it except you know how to safely remove the cams and how to put them back on w/o damaging. Also be careful with the heart shaped cam on the needle bar. It is attached with a pin. Well, your decision but be careful! ;)

Lets hope your machine has the shuttle hook and bobbin cause they are no longer made.

This was my class 17 restoration but mine was an earlier type.

Edited by Constabulary

12 hours ago, ksteers said:

if none of those links work, I’m gonna giggle and try again

Please post your photos here, not 3rd party hosted.  3rd party hosted files disappear when user or host change anything, move files, delete files, change policies, go out of business, cancel account, etc.  Then the post becomes useless to anyone who wishes to review or study the thread in the future.

I copied and posted your photos in your original post.

If you have trouble resizing photo files to fit the restrictions here, there are a lot of apps, programs and suggestions (how to) on the web to help you do that.

Northmount, thank you for the assist.   when i was attaching the linkies, i knew something didnt feel right:rolleyes2:

Stay tuned.   I am not going to rush this one!

Looks like you've got quite a restoration project ahead of you, my friend!:specool:

I have 5 Durkopp 17 and 1 18 to restore.  Use lots of penetrating oil on it.  May want to put it into an electrolysis tank to de-rust it and get parts loose.  Constabulary uses the electrolysis tanks a lot with great results.   Looks mostly all there.  Is there a hook and bobbin in it?    Great project to pursue.  I have manuals on it.

glenn