fasn8ya

modify your machine?

I have wondered is it possible to create a sort of "Frankenstein" industrial leather machine to your own specifications. For instance if I I want 2 tensioners on my machine that only has one can I buy a double tensioning assembly and add it? Can I do things that will make my machine take larger thread than what it was initial designed to take? ive done things like add more powerful motor, slowed them down with speed reducer , installed needle positioners , lasers etc. But can you do things like even change the type of needles your machine takes or increase your bobbin case size to accommodate the larger bobbins? Or how about this has anyone ever just built their own machine kind of like people do with computers? 

Not a good comparison, sewing machines and computers. Computer components tend to follow "standards", i.e. power supplies, motherboards, drives, memory etc can generally be mixed and matched and will work together. Sewing machines not so much. Other than some very basic components bits from one machine will rarely fit another, and while it might not be impossible to build a machine from various bits and pieces the work required would be enormous (and possibly expensive). I have some mechanical skills but building a sewing machine that way is not something I would ever contemplate! (And yes, I've built quite a few computers over the years).

You can, to some degree, change a machine to use a different class of needle (usually by adjusting the needle bar to change the clearance) but there's usually a trade-off, it might affect clearance under the feet or needle lift or the thickness you can sew. This is usually done if the machine uses some obscure or defunct needle type and is changed to a more common type.

Likewise with thread size, there is a physical limitation on the size thread a machine can use. It is often possible to go up a size (#69 to#138, for example) but it depends on the feed dog/bobbin/hook clearances, some machines can do it but some just don't like it.

With one notable exception we're generally stuck with a particular class of machine for a specific purpose. That exception is the modified needle plate/feed dog that is now available for the big 441-class machines, it makes them far more versatile than they were originally intended for - but they still won't do everything!:)

30 minutes ago, dikman said:

It is often possible to go up a size (#69 to#138, for example) ...

Duh, isn't that going up TWO sizes?  :)

4 hours ago, fasn8ya said:

For instance if I I want 2 tensioners on my machine that only has one can I buy a double tensioning assembly and add it?

Can I do things that will make my machine take larger thread than what it was initial designed to take?

But can you do things like even change the type of needles your machine takes or increase your bobbin case size to accommodate the larger bobbins?

All those depends largely on the machine. Some mods are basically a straight change out of parts while other modifications will probably require lathe work on various parts.

Or how about this has anyone ever just built their own machine kind of like people do with computers? 

The think this is a poor comparison for the reasons @dikman has previous said. I do some 3D printed modifications on all my machines which have included the Chinese frustration generator patcher, portable walking foot Sailrite clone, Singer 29k's, upholstery class Juki's and my Kobe TSC-441. I am what some call "matter hacker". I design in CAD, 3D print and sometimes convert to or combine with metal. Doing a machine from scratch is not an easy task as it would be time consuming, involve a wide range of skill sets and would be expensive. For now I am quite contented too matter hack things.

kgg

6 hours ago, fasn8ya said:

I have wondered is it possible to create a sort of "Frankenstein" industrial leather machine to your own specifications. For instance if I I want 2 tensioners on my machine that only has one can I buy a double tensioning assembly and add it? Can I do things that will make my machine take larger thread than what it was initial designed to take? ive done things like add more powerful motor, slowed them down with speed reducer , installed needle positioners , lasers etc. But can you do things like even change the type of needles your machine takes or increase your bobbin case size to accommodate the larger bobbins? Or how about this has anyone ever just built their own machine kind of like people do with computers? 

Most of these things can be done pretty easily if the base machine is strong enough for the work. Many times if you check back on the machine manufactures models you will find that the same base model can be for fabrics or leather etc. Things like the thread return springs and needle hole size etc all need to be considered. That pointy thing that catches the thread loop can generally be moved to allow for a larger than spec needle. If you have something in mind you want to do well lets hear it.

3 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Duh, isn't that going up TWO sizes?  :)

Yep, but from my observations the common usage appears to be #69 to #138, #92 doesn't appear to be much of a jump visually (which is usually what people are looking at). So technically you're right.:P

Wouldn't it  just be easier to get a machine that does all those things? just sayin'  :dunno:

HS 

12 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Wouldn't it  just be easier to get a machine that does all those things? just sayin'  :dunno:

HS 

This is exactly what I was thinking of recommending!

My question would be why?  If you're going to build your own machine, will you have any time left to actually sew?  I'll admit, I like to tinker but at some point I have to decide will I just tinker or will I acutally use the thing?  When I had my Pfaff 145, I had thought about converting it to a large bobbin like the 545, lukily I found one for sale close to home for a decent price.  I then tinkered with the motor and drive system, I ended up with an analog servo motor with a 45mm pulley.  Now I'm satisfied and can actually concentrate on sewing.  I may upgrade my servo motor in the future to a digital one, but for now I'm satisfied wiht my 545 with a Consew analog servo motor.

10 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

This is exactly what I was thinking of recommending!

Great minds think alike :)

Alternatively, do what some of us on here do, have more than one machine, if space  and $$ allow. I have x 4 machines.  They all do what I want and each one is set just the way I want.  The one thing I don't want to be doing and wasting time on  is fiddling about , re-adjusting etc etc etc ..

Perhaps someone should do a time  study : Actual work done V's Fiddling about. ;) 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

On 1/25/2024 at 1:36 AM, Handstitched said:

Great minds think alike :)

Alternatively, do what some of us on here do, have more than one machine, if space  and $$ allow. I have x 4 machines.  They all do what I want and each one is set just the way I want.  The one thing I don't want to be doing and wasting time on  is fiddling about , re-adjusting etc etc etc ..

Perhaps someone should do a time  study : Actual work done V's Fiddling about. ;) 

HS

I have 3 machines. cobra class 4 , a cobra post bed and a techsew 2700  along with my skiver, laser cutter and various fabric sewing machines. Im into leather and woodworking so my shop has a table saw, miter saw, jointer, planer,  lathe, 14 in bandsaw, sanders, grinders , hand tools etc. Im not new to the game.   I was just wondering and asking a question . What if I came across a good deal on a  machine and wanted to make some adjustments? Or what if I LIKE to tinker on the side? I was just asking the question because 9 times out of 10 if you're thinking it someone else is too and may be too afraid to ask because people make you feel stupid. 

Edited by fasn8ya

2 minutes ago, fasn8ya said:

Or what if I LIKE to tinker on the side?

You're more than welcome to create a ' Franken-chine' (?)  , love to see the end result and how it performs  :thumbsup:

HS