ValJ

How to choose the best servo motor for a Juki LU563

Please contribute recommendations to the best currently available servo motors to slow down Juki LU563 (or other machines) for Leather Sewing. What is the best quality, reliability, and longevity for servo motor and is it worth having a needle positioning mechanism? I have a head injury and seem to have forgotten a lot of what I knew and greatly appreciate your help with this!

2 hours ago, ValJ said:

Please contribute recommendations to the best currently available servo motors to slow down Juki LU563 (or other machines) for Leather Sewing.

Basically you have two main choices i) Brush type servo motor ii) Brushless servo motor

Brush type servo motor have No electronic controller components. The typical size is 550 watt, use a simple dial for setting the motor speed and have typical startup speeds in the 200 rpm range.

Brushless servo motors have a electronic motor control. The typical size is 750 watt, set the speed of the motor on control panel, have a typical startup speed of 500 rpms and have the built in ability of a needle positioner. The number of internal coils typically are 6 while the better ones have 12 coils. More coils the better the motor. Some of these motors with a needle positioners will not work properly if a speed reducer is added.

Needle positioning feature some people love them while others not so much.

Cost wise a basic brush servo motor is about $150 CAD while a 12 coil brushless servo motor is about $250 CAD.

A 550 watt brush type servo motor should handle the torque needs of the Juki LU 563 without the need for a speed reducer while a brushless servo motor may require one due to the typical startup speed of the motor.

kgg

Good evening KGG ......nice to see a fellow Canadian.

I am using a cleaned up SInger 211G156 Walking foot for canvass seat covers and now for fixing leather straps to canvass truck covers......

Not being very skilled at sewing....... the high speed clutch motor was the first problem......solved that by building a belt reduction device  box that  roughly  reduces 10 to one....so max speed now is around 300 rpm.

BUT...... I don't seem to have much torque on start up so nI punch the pedal and it "kindda" jump starts on me..... and I jump....quality suffers......  I need something like a patcher that goes chunk kachunk kachunk and can be guided easily by hand.  Will installing a 1000 or 1500 watt servo....with or with out the reduction set up work?..... and I realize they all seem  made in China but do we have reputable USA or Canadian retailers to recommend.... I do have a USA UPS box for direct mailing.

will a servo work??? what kind??? what power?

Thanks

Bob C

Living a slide East of Ottawa....and better at restoring old CDN military truck than sewing.

57 minutes ago, rac1812 said:

What I would do first is install a servo motor and dump the clutch motor. I then would install a servo motor either a brush type or a brushless, 550 or 750 watt. I would install the servo motor first without the 10 to 1 reducer you have as it probably is going to provide way to much speed reduction as the typical reduction is 3 to 1. If you go with a brushless I would suggest going with the 12 coil Reliable 6000sm ( https://reliablecorporation.ca/products/sewquiet-6000sm-servomotor ) 550 watt or if you want to go with a less expensive option or another speed reducer contact Chris at Japan Sewing Machine ( (905) 764-0100 ). Those companies are down in the Toronto area.

kgg

16 hours ago, rac1812 said:

I buy my servo motors from here. Some go direct to the machine if the pulley is large enough (4"+). Others feed a speed reducer which powers the machine with lower top speed and higher torque. The motors on that page are analog and have a knob to set the top speed. They lose torque at the slowest settings. So, I usually set the knob to the slowest setting that still has good punching power. It's easy to feather the speed with the floor pedal.

Thank you so very much for all of this very useful information! I’m wondering if anybody has had specific experience putting any of these servo motors on a Juki LU563? I see that the needle positioner on the sewquiet motor does not fit Sewing machines??
Also, I have not yet gotten to the point of knowing the Juki LU563’s upper limits of what Leather to Leather it will sew. I’m hoping that I will not be losing any punch or torque by changing to a servo motor I want to sew within the limits of the Sewing Machine do what it was not made for – – if that makes sense I’m sorry with my head injury if I am not getting my sentence structure out quite right.

If it were you, what motor would you put on a Juki LU563? Bearing in mind that I will be sewing canvas and leather; leather bags, journals, straps, some tent and canvas repair. This machine lived previously in a marina, and did all canvas repair.  I am also interested in a slow start up speed.

Also, I’m in northern Indiana is there any specific Sewing Machine motor dealer or sales people that you would recommend in the Midwest?

Edited by ValJ
Forgot question

Hi from a fellow Hoosier!  

Wizcrafts summed it all up about the brush servo motor.  If you don't need the needle positioner, I would go with the Consew 550 but order it with the 45mm pulley.  I too bought mine from https://www.tolindsewmach.com/motors.html .  I have a Pfaff 545 which is similar to your Juki, I use it for auto upholstery now and will be using it for marine upholstery and covers in the future.  The smaller pulley allows you to feather it at start up so you can better control things.  

@ValJ, I replaced the clutch motor on my Juki 562(If I recall correctly, the LU563 replaced the LU562.) with a 550W brush servo motor from  https://www.tolindsewmach.com/motors.html also.  I did install a speed reducer at the same same time, though.  Works great for me.  JM2C, Jim

Reliable 6000sm sew quite. Put one on my 145w204. Best thing since air conditioning. 

Any of the various "generic" servos available on ebay/Amazon/Aliexpress will work with your 563, it doesn't need anything special. If possible try and get one with a 45mm/1 3/4" pulley and try it first without a speed reducer, it might be all you need.

jrdunn:  how thick of leather do you sew on your Juki 562 with that set up that you mentioned above? Also, how slow can you sew with different thicknesses of leather?

Is it safe for me to assume, that you cannot use a needle positioner?

Thank you very much for your input and information.ValJ

Garyak: can you please tell me how thick of leather you can sew with the Reliable 6000sm and how slow can you sew with? does it have enough torque as slow speeds to sew through thick leather?

i’ve heard some complaints about the reliable motor getting louder as it gets older. Have you noticed that to be true? I have a head injury from a distracted driver, hitting me in my vehicle and sound makes a huge difference to my ability to function. This is part of the reason I am transitioning from a clutch motor. 

Thank you for your information and input in advance, ValJ

Everyone has been very helpful and gracious in giving me the above information!!!

As I am looking at some specific motors, I have a question I hope can be answered: What is the performance difference at the point of Sewing, at the needle, for Sewing, medium to fairly thick leather slowly (which will be on the Juki LU563) between the following two motors the first one has 3/4 hp and 12 coils/poles the other motor the second one has a 1hp with 8 coil/poles??? 

On 2/16/2024 at 4:50 PM, kgg said:

Basically you have two main choices i) Brush type servo motor ii) Brushless servo motor

Brush type servo motor have No electronic controller components. The typical size is 550 watt, use a simple dial for setting the motor speed and have typical startup speeds in the 200 rpm range.

Brushless servo motors have a electronic motor control. The typical size is 750 watt, set the speed of the motor on control panel, have a typical startup speed of 500 rpms and have the built in ability of a needle positioner. The number of internal coils typically are 6 while the better ones have 12 coils. More coils the better the motor. Some of these motors with a needle positioners will not work properly if a speed reducer is added.

Needle positioning feature some people love them while others not so much.

Cost wise a basic brush servo motor is about $150 CAD while a 12 coil brushless servo motor is about $250 CAD.

A 550 watt brush type servo motor should handle the torque needs of the Juki LU 563 without the need for a speed reducer while a brushless servo motor may require one due to the typical startup speed of the motor.

kgg

Am I understanding correctly that a 550 W brush type Servo motor would have more torque at a slower start up speed than a brushless servo motor?  Can you tell me approximately how many stitches per minute a startup speed of 200 RPMs would translate to?

In general, I have always had a very good understanding of mechanical and electrical items, but since my head injury from a distracted driver, hitting me, I have more difficulty remembering and grasping some information – – very frustrating – – I appreciate any help that you can give me here. if I took cost of the motor out of the picture (which is a definite consideration for me I am unable to work) but if I took that out of the picture, what would be the most reliable motor with the highest startup, torque and slowest speed? it would be very helpful to have a good functioning needle positioner, but I probably would not trade it off for slow speed and high torque.

THANK YOU!

2 hours ago, ValJ said:

Am I understanding correctly that a 550 W brush type Servo motor would have more torque at a slower start up speed than a brushless servo motor?

The torque of a brushless is greater then one with brushes. However the brushless have a higher startup speed then the brushed servo motors. Personally I prefer the brushed servo motor over the brushless due to it's simple design. No electronics to add another layer of possible problems. But then again I don't need / want the needle positioning feature and the one that came with my TSC-441 clone is filed in the "special" drawer. That said most of the world except for North America are using the brushless and they are becoming more popular here as they are all being import from places like China.

If I had to choose I would personally go with the Consew 550 watt that @Wizcrafts recommended. The next option would be the Reliable 6000SM.

kgg

Edited by kgg

Are you sure you need a needle positioner? I fitted mine (came with the motor) tried it and didn't like it, I much prefer a slower speed sewing leather and that means I can stop/start the needle where I want it. If you want to get the maximum torque and slowest controllable speed then fit a servo (brush/brushless won't matter) and a "standard" reducer.

Answering your question regarding the difference between the two motors either of them will be more than adequate to handle anything you can fit under the feet. Be careful not to overthink things, if the two motors are nearly the same price then get the bigger one but if not then the 550 watt motor will work fine.

On 2/20/2024 at 11:54 AM, ValJ said:

jrdunn:  how thick of leather do you sew on your Juki 562 with that set up that you mentioned above? Also, how slow can you sew with different thicknesses of leather?

Is it safe for me to assume, that you cannot use a needle positioner?

Thank you very much for your input and information.ValJ

I have sewn two 10 oz. veg tan.  I don't really recommend it.  If you do, use SHARP needles.  I have a CB4500 for thicker stuff now.  I now use it for softer and thinner leather and putting zippers in.  I didn't have any interest in a needle positioner, still don't.  I'm not sure about this but. . .  I think the problem arises when your positioner indexes off the motor.  Then the 3:1 reduction messes with your position sensor.  I believe that if your sensor indexes off the handwheel of the machine, it should work as designed.  I'm not sure, though. There are people on the forum way smarter than me on this stuff.  Hopefully, they'll chime in.   JM2C,  Jim

Thanks for the all the advice...... which I followed .......  and encouraged our advertisers/supporters .........  and beautiful downtown Toledo, Ohio is sending me  a ConSew  550.

Now to sit patiently for it to arrive................  will be picking it up at a USA addy across the border and do my own brokerage...cheaper that way..   

Good competitive price including shipping.

Will post my progress in due course.

Bob C