bladegrinder

Where to buy "nice" veg tan leather

So in February I got an order for two holsters, I've been using 6-7 oz and wanted to go heavier with any new ones so I ordered 12 sq ft. of 8-9 oz. I ordered on Feb 19th.

between the time getting it out the door and getting lost by USPS I finally got it and it was awful, totally unacceptable. OK, it was B grade but out of 12 sq ft, maybe 4 sq ft. was usable, so a call to the company and it was on it's way back. after the replacement rides around with USPS for a while it arrived yesterday, March 12th and it is 100% better then the first one so now I'm happy.

Better late then never, but this is the second time this has happened to me with this company over the years with leather that should have never left their doors. I don't want to trash this company here because they made it right for me but I'm done ordering leather from them.

So my question here is to everyone and especially folks who go thru side after side a year making a living at leather work, I've now decided to just order full sides of grade A leather.

Could I get recommendation's of dealers that can be relied on for consistently delivering high quality Herman Oak leather with out having to cross my fingers every time i make an order?

I use a lot of veg-tan, but I just been using the imported stuff in grade A & I have been happy so far. 

I have heard a bunch this year from some very professional famous leather makers. They have said that Herman Oak leather has been hit & miss for them too. Basically from 2023 going into 2024. 

Thanks Diesel but with the past experiences I've had with imported leather, I'll never use it again.

Edited by bladegrinder
spell'in

You can buy a side from wicket and Craig for 165 plus shipping and it is beautiful leather.

Springfield Leather Co has been a good source for me of HO and other leathers. When I go to the store they will open up rolls of HO hides for me to choose from, and most of them look good. When I call in an order I tell them what is important to me and they have delivered, mostly sides of HO bridle leather. 

On 3/13/2024 at 6:32 AM, TomE said:

Springfield Leather Co has been a good source for me of HO and other leathers. When I go to the store they will open up rolls of HO hides for me to choose from, and most of them look good. When I call in an order I tell them what is important to me and they have delivered, mostly sides of HO bridle leather. 

They may be good for purchasing in store but they've been taken off my list for mail order, as far as leather goes.

On 3/13/2024 at 2:21 AM, purplefox66 said:

You can buy a side from wicket and Craig for 165 plus shipping and it is beautiful leather.

I believe that's where my future leather will be coming from. thanks.

Another vote for Wickett & Craig here! I started buying from them about six years ago and have never bought anywhere else since.

Their leather is top notch, even the lower "special" grade is better than a lot of higher grades from other tanneries. Carves and wet forms very well!

I visited them last year and got a tour of the place, which was amazing to see! All their hides are sourced from their own slaughterhouses in Canada and only from US/Canadian cattle. I thought their leather was priced pretty good, but after seeing firsthand how much work they put into each hide, I think it's really cheap!

Just my $0.02 :)

On 3/14/2024 at 7:26 PM, bladegrinder said:

They may be good for purchasing in store but they've been taken off my list for mail order, as far as leather goes.

Correct.  I've got a few decent pieces from there, but they were the exception.  I would call and complain, they would apologize for the "mistake", send me a different piece.  But I was spending SO much time on the phone with them, it just  became not worth it.  They didn't seem to understand that I KNOW what H.O. A and B grade looks like - usually that's what I would order and use SLC for the ocassional odd weight.  Like as in I don't use a lot of 5/6, so instead of buying multiple sides from H.O., I would order 7/8 at H.O. and use SLC for the ocassional 5/6 or 4/5.  I got one side of 5/6  I could stretch a 1.5" wide strap by hand.

ANYWAY....

Wickett/Craig has good leather, I've made a lot of holsters from their skirting leathers.  That in mind, I have had a few issues with W/C as well, though not nearly as often.  More than once I called to remind them that I don't mind PAYING premium as long as I'm GETTING premium.

If you want to go with H.O. but don't want to buy minimum 10 sides, I always recommend Goliger Leather.  It's a bit higher cost than some places, but they have ALWAYS sent me great leather.  NEVER ONCE a piece I wasn't happy with.

http://www.goligerleather.us/

Another vote for Goliger. I've been using them for a while now. You can't order online but the folks are nice. They do not buy tannery runs then grade them themselves. A lot of other suppliers do that and this is why you can get such a difference in quality. I'm also on the left coast so shipping isn't such a deal for me. Don't know what it will be to the other side....

You might also look at Rocky Mountain Leather Supply. (https://www.rmleathersupply.com/)They have always been accurate and quick with my orders, and they offer free shipping in the USA. 

Thanks everyone, my next purchase will probably be over the phone with Wickett and Craig, they appear to have good prices and I'm in North Florida so the shipping shouldn't be too bad.

Goliger leather will be next in line.