ToddW

kinda of an opinion thing but asking anyway

was going to make a holster for my son's glock and was curious what color brown dye and edge coat to use.. I was thinking dark brown or mahogany.. thoughts?

I've never had anyone ask me to make a glock holster in anything but basic black . . . 

Just my experience . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

I've done several floral style western holsters in the  from the Will Grohmley barbecue holster pattern pack. They have a Glock pattern in there. The holster has great coverage and there's plenty of room to do tooling. The only reason I would go with a brown color is if I was going to do tooling and that's just to show off the tooling itself. Otherwise black is the way to go. However if you do want to do brown on a veg tan leather my recommendation is to get olive oil.  Continue to go over the leather with olive oil until you get the color brown that you want. You can even add an antique paste that will highlight the raised spots on the holster. As far as edge coat I would go with a dark brown. There are benefits to the olive oil in that archaeologist are still finding pliable leather from the Roman period that was treated with olive oil.  The picture below is of course not of a Glock holster but it is a holster for a Colt Python.  I dyed it with olive oil and then used the antique paste.

4441.jpeg

Match the leather color to the handle of the gun .As per photo above 

I've made a holster or three for Glocks (and other polymer frame handguns) that were not black...but in similar fashion to what Dwight pointed out above, most of mine have been dyed black leather with either matching or contrasting white thread.

That said, I don't reckon there are any set rules about colors, holsters, etc. I did have that one feller who wanted a holster for his (gulp!) Hi-Point 9mm...it too was black and LH, t'boot! By my estimation...with time and materials, the holster was worth at least twice the retail cost of his weapon of choice. He could/would not be swayed towards an Uncle Mike's Walmart Special and didn't seem to mind my price (too much anyways) and has since came back several times for belts and guitar straps. What's that saying about some folks and their money?

For a very decent visual side-by-side comparison of black vs. "not black" leather on a Glock handgun, check out this thread started by another leatherworker in the forums:

I like the contrast of the black polymer with a brown holster, as long as the contrast is noticeable. Not a time to try to contrast subtly with a dark brown; then it just looks kinda dirty and weird. Double Daddy’s example above is an excellent one. 

I use Saddle Tan on 95% of my projects. It's been my go to for years.