this one is a bit larger 1" blade chisel ground 3/8" d2 drill rod with an apple wood handle finished with Linseed oil. it is a plain knife meant for work but I love the handle shape and fit, I may end up changing the handle on the other one to this style. This thing goes through 10 oz like butter lol

leatherknife2.jpg

leatherknife3.jpg

Good looking blade Chuck!

1 hour ago, Littlef said:

Good looking blade Chuck!

thank you.

Another nice one!

4 hours ago, Mablung said:

I like it. Mainly used for detail cutting in small-ish areas, trimming, or other purposes? 

thank you!

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

Another nice one!

thanks neighbor, county 6 here. 

I would have to eenie meenie miney mo, to make a choice of which of the two to use. :clapping:

Edited by rleather

39 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

thanks neighbor, county 6 here. 

WIndy county 8 here.

Nice! I assume you can do push and pull cuts with it ?

16 hours ago, Herbie said:

WIndy county 8 here.

lol you know what the difference is with the wind in your county and mine.............................................about ten minutes.

14 hours ago, NatesLeatherGds said:

Nice! I assume you can do push and pull cuts with it ?

yup it is an awesome push cutter which is how I will mainly use it and for roll cuts, corners and curves.

19 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

yup it is an awesome push cutter which is how I will mainly use it and for roll cuts, corners and curves.

What are the blade dimensions?  I'm not very good at judging things spatially and don't have a great sense of the scale from the closeup photos.

30 minutes ago, Mablung said:

What are the blade dimensions?  I'm not very good at judging things spatially and don't have a great sense of the scale from the closeup photos.

the blade is about 1" long 

Looks really good.

So you use it kind of like a head knife or half moon knife? I mean you push it through rather than pulling it?

I like the shape of the handle with the small protrusions that you can rest you thumb against.
One of the awls that I use for saddle work at home (curved round awl) I turned a handle for a couple of years ago, and I used it extensively this time and I was amazed at how much extra control and force it gives to be able to push something with the thumb. I never really thought of it when I made the handle, I think I was inspired by some awl haft that I saw, but it really makes a big positive difference in my opinion.

Brgds Jonas 

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

lol you know what the difference is with the wind in your county and mine.............................................about ten minutes.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Mulesaw said:

Looks really good.

So you use it kind of like a head knife or half moon knife? I mean you push it through rather than pulling it?

I like the shape of the handle with the small protrusions that you can rest you thumb against.
One of the awls that I use for saddle work at home (curved round awl) I turned a handle for a couple of years ago, and I used it extensively this time and I was amazed at how much extra control and force it gives to be able to push something with the thumb. I never really thought of it when I made the handle, I think I was inspired by some awl haft that I saw, but it really makes a big positive difference in my opinion.

Brgds Jonas 

Thanks Jonas Yes its basically the same function, it is easier to use and handle and sharpen lol. That handle is sweet. 

Nice job on that Chuck per usual you do make so great stuff. 

1 hour ago, Samalan said:

Nice job on that Chuck per usual you do make so great stuff. 

thanks man nice to hear from you again.

I like this one a lot! There would be a lot of different applications for it. I wonder how it would feel with the handle set a little farther onto it. Of course my experience is with stubby handled knives for push cutting. Good job, Chuck.

Beautifully crafted. I didn’t know you could buy 3/8” D2 drill rod until now. I imagine, with the proper training and skill, one could make all manner of leather cutting tools with this. 

Nice looking work Chuck!

12 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

I like this one a lot! There would be a lot of different applications for it. I wonder how it would feel with the handle set a little farther onto it. Of course my experience is with stubby handled knives for push cutting. Good job, Chuck.

thank you It is a bit longer than the traditional leather knives but it gives you plenty of room to see what your doing. It feels light and nimble compared to a round knife and will probably replace it in most of its chores. a heck of a lot easier to sharpen lol.

11 hours ago, TomWilson said:

Beautifully crafted. I didn’t know you could buy 3/8” D2 drill rod until now. I imagine, with the proper training and skill, one could make all manner of leather cutting tools with this. 

thanks you can actually work the 1/4" d2 with a map gas torch, I haven't tried the 3/8" but I don't see why not. I've made several small wood chisels and carving tools with this stuff. its great way to learn a bit about the forging process without all the huge blacksmithing tools as well. Here is my source https://www.grainger.com/category/raw-materials/metals/tool-steel/tool-steel-rods-discs?searchQuery=d2+drill+rod&sst=4&searchBar=true

9 hours ago, bladegrinder said:

Nice looking work Chuck!

thanks