Mablung

WIP Knife Sheath

Definitely not finished yet and very much in progress and very much flawed. But I rather enjoyed doing the leaf on this thing. I got carried away with the cuts on the acorns, but I can change that on the next iteration. I’m proud of my tooling progress, which is why this one is in the “Show Off” forum, but I’m always looking for suggestions on how to improve, so critique away. (Ignore the bevel line on the right side—that was me practicing with a new beveled, and that’ll get stitched through on the back. This sheath is much more a practice piece.)

IMG_2024-05-05-193206.jpeg

Looks nice. Great work. That will make a classy knife sheath. 

27 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Looks nice. Great work. That will make a classy knife sheath. 

Thank you. I’m looking forward to staining it and finishing the construction. I’m going to experiment with some Angelus Gel Antique to stain and antique it; we’ll see how it goes. The sheath needs a little revamping in terms of construction design, so it’ll probably get redone, but I’m looking forward to finishing this version. 

1 hour ago, Mablung said:

Thank you. I’m looking forward to staining it and finishing the construction. I’m going to experiment with some Angelus Gel Antique to stain and antique it; we’ll see how it goes. The sheath needs a little revamping in terms of construction design, so it’ll probably get redone, but I’m looking forward to finishing this version. 

I've made a few knife sheaths, but yes I've also redone/revamped a few of them. 

I look at it as a learning/teaching aid when I do redo I sheath. Lol i also had some I just did not like & redone. 

It's good hands on experience. 

Looks pretty good to me. All those videos showing tooling leaves make it look easy - until you try it!!

i think it looks good and will look better when finished, practice will make it better. To me I can never tell if tooling looks good until its stained and finished

Great work in progress, can't wait to see the finished sheath:rockon:

10 hours ago, dikman said:

Looks pretty good to me. All those videos showing tooling leaves make it look easy - until you try it!!

Seriously.  I didn't realize how difficult it is to pear shade smoothly until I was trying on this thing.

6 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i think it looks good and will look better when finished, practice will make it better. To me I can never tell if tooling looks good until its stained and finished

32 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

Great work in progress, can't wait to see the finished sheath:rockon:

Thanks.  Hopefully I'll get it at least stained tonight, though I probably won't finish the rest of the construction until either later this week or sometime next week.

For your acorns, try these tips I picked up along the way.

* First, using your swivel knife, cut your outlines, just a bit deeper.

* Bevel the nut portion toward the inside using a thumbprint, tilted up at about a 45 degree angle.

This makes the nut, look rounded. 

*  A couple lines cut across the nut at the bottom and one crossing those is more than enough stress cracking.

*  For the cap, bevel around the edges, again, toward the inside, at an upward angle, giving you the rounded edges to your cap.  Your hatch lines should not be straight, but curve around the cap to reinforce the idea of the rounded edge.  Equal spacing from one end to the other in an arc.  Then cross hatch by curving the other direction.  This really makes them pop. 

You'll find the basis for this in this Video, and I added to it along the way from other videos I watched.  The two important acorn sections are around 33:00 and 43:00 minutes, but it's a great video for tooling Oak Leaves and Acorns.  I used it's techniques when tooling my Thumbhole Sling.