EricaJane

I know this thread exists

I apologize for starting a new thread for an existing topic; I can't find a post that discusses sewing machines for beginners that won't break the bank (I promise I have searched the site extensively and must be doing something wrong).  I'm hoping someone can tag or direct me to the right thread? 

Thanks so much!

i would suggest you start here! lol leather machines break the bank its very hard to get around but buying the one you need sure will go a long way.

@EricaJane,  I started to welcome you to the forum but saw that you joined in 2018!  That is 3 years before I joined.  You must REALLY be the strong, silent type.  Good to hear from you anyway!  JM2C, Jim

Thanks, @jrdunn! I joined in 2018 but haven't been active, as I find the forums and site very hard to navigate. I end up trying to search something and getting a million unrelated results. It's a shame because this site obviously has SO MUCH to offer. Even if you can't somehow link me to a thread about sewing machines, I'd love some advice on how to navigate the site! Thanks!

I find searching off-site easier and quicker. I use google; put what you are looking for followed by leatherworker.net and it brings up a number of listings

I just did a search that way and among it brought up this

Edited by fredk

@EricaJane, I found the one that @Wizcrafts did and @chuck123wapati linked very useful for my purpose.  I only wish I'd stumbled upon it before my first two sewing machine purchases.  Knowing me, I might not have listened anyway.  Good luck with your search and hopefully subsequent purchase.  Jim

1 hour ago, EricaJane said:

I apologize for starting a new thread for an existing topic; I can't find a post that discusses sewing machines for beginners that won't break the bank (I promise I have searched the site extensively and must be doing something wrong).  I'm hoping someone can tag or direct me to the right thread? 

Thanks so much!

The machine will depend largely on what it is you want to sew . . . 

Give us some ideas as to the major group you want to sew . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

2 hours ago, EricaJane said:

Thanks, @jrdunn! I joined in 2018 but haven't been active, as I find the forums and site very hard to navigate. I end up trying to search something and getting a million unrelated results. It's a shame because this site obviously has SO MUCH to offer. Even if you can't somehow link me to a thread about sewing machines, I'd love some advice on how to navigate the site! Thanks!

@Northmount shared the tip to use Google to search this site instead of the built in search engine.  In the Google search bar type (  site:"leatherworker.net" YOUR KEY WORDS HERE )  without the parentheses.  I find this much better for finding old threads of interest.

4 hours ago, TomE said:

@Northmount shared the tip to use Google to search this site instead of the built in search engine.  In the Google search bar type (  site:"leatherworker.net" YOUR KEY WORDS HERE )  without the parentheses.  I find this much better for finding old threads of interest.

I was a little concerned about the quotation marks around leatherworker.net so I tried it out.  It works with or without the quotes.  Just learned a little more!

2 hours ago, Northmount said:

I was a little concerned about the quotation marks around leatherworker.net so I tried it out.  It works with or without the quotes.  Just learned a little more!

Brain fart. I don’t normally add the quotes. Google for the save. 

Wiz's sticky that Chuck linked to is THE starting point. There's a lot to digest in there so you will likely have to read it several times (I had to!). As Dwight said we also need to know what you want to sew/make as that helps determine the most suitable machine for your needs. 

One piece of advice, you may come across mention of the Chinese shoe patcher in various posts and on youtube. These are inexpensive and will sew leather BUT in your situation don't buy one, they are not for the inexperienced (or for the faint-of-heart).

I encourage beginners to get a simple but quality used machine, which sometimes means an initial outlay of money. My reasoning is that if you get a cheap machine, you won't know whether problems are you or the machine and you'll be more likely to get discouraged and sew less (nevermind all the hours wasted cursing the machine). I say this from experience!

The great thing about used industrials is that they keep their value. If you pay $800 for it, you'll get $800 back even if you've been using it for ten solid years. 

Personally, I think a Juki is worth the higher price. They are great machines, and most importantly, you can easily get parts for them. I'm so tired of trying to get parts for the Singers I work with! Half the time they send me something that doesn't even fit properly because they discontinued the parts ages ago.

Every model Juki I've used has been excellent, so get whatever is available to you that is suited to your needs (probably a walking foot?)

12 hours ago, EricaJane said:

Thanks so much!

Buying a sewing machine can't be just about money. If on a really strict budget you must think about something to get you by until you can afford the right machine for you. If you can spend some money that's when the headache starts because there are so many points to consider.

If sewing leather you really want a walking foot machine. Maybe a cylinder arm with a flatbed attachment, maybe one with a narrow bed if doing tight gussets. servo motor for slower speeds. Reverse? If sewing thick leather the size of thread/needle/power could be important. Auto oiling could be very nice but probably won't find it on cheaper machines. type of presser foot should be thought about because some brands use PF that are cheapish and some that are expensive.

When we have some idea about what you want to sew this information will be refined and targeted toward a more practical machine. Good luck.