badhatter1005

Concealed carry holster for Rock Island armory 1911 3.5 bull barrel

Looking for a concealed carry holster for my 1911 to be able to carry cocked and locked around my kidney area. Not a huge fan of the pancake style holster but I absolutely love the paddle holster. I modified this holster from a pattern that W. Grohmley had made called the barbecue rig.  I added a paddle from a bolt pack that I had purchased from Vedder holsters. Used t-nuts and short bolts to connect the paddle. Lined with 2 oz milled veg tan. Hand stitched. Paddle fits perfectly on a 1 and 3/4-in belt that I also made myself. Very happy with this holster. It does not profile. It does not stick out. And most importantly it does not dig into my rather substantial now that I'm 40 paunch.  The thumb break is smooth and has a clean open to it. Tell me what you think please.  The larger holster is made from my EDC. Rock Island armory tag standard with a few modifications. 5-in barrel with full rail. This is carried direct on my right hip. Once again the thumb break is smooth and has a very gunfighter style draw to it.  This pattern I made myself after watching several videos on YouTube about how to make it pattern. Much trial and error until I came up with this. Once again 8 oz leather for the shell and lined with 2 oz milled veg tan. Of course dyed with fieblings cut in half with isopropyl alcohol. I then use neatsfoot oil and let it dry. Then of course I use the resolene. Once the resolene has dried evenly I polish it with a mixture of mink oil and coconut oil. For some reason it just really seems to work. I appreciate any feedback.

13915.jpeg

13916.jpeg

13917.jpeg

12640.jpeg

12641.jpeg

very nice plain and simple but do the job nicely:notworthy:

What he ^^^^^^ said . . . looks good.

My only comment is I kind of envy you . . . my very first CCW holster was a paddle . . . and my son carries a Glock 19 . . . most of the time in a paddle.  Much as I tried . . . I just could not get comfy with it . . . 

It was in my way driving . . . no matter where I put the thing . . . the weight of it hanging on my belt wanted to pull my britches down . . . and I finally just gave up . . . went to an IWB . . . pretty much stayed there ever since.  I do a shoulder holster occasionally . . . and a slide cake OWB . . . also occasionally.

But I'm glad you found your system.

May God bless,

Dwight

10 minutes ago, Dwight said:

What he ^^^^^^ said . . . looks good.

My only comment is I kind of envy you . . . my very first CCW holster was a paddle . . . and my son carries a Glock 19 . . . most of the time in a paddle.  Much as I tried . . . I just could not get comfy with it . . . 

It was in my way driving . . . no matter where I put the thing . . . the weight of it hanging on my belt wanted to pull my britches down . . . and I finally just gave up . . . went to an IWB . . . pretty much stayed there ever since.  I do a shoulder holster occasionally . . . and a slide cake OWB . . . also occasionally.

But I'm glad you found your system.

May God bless,

Dwight

Normally it's the same thing for me. I think the difference is in the paddle itself. I wanted a smaller paddle and came across these accidentally while making holsters of another style for someone else. For some reason these paddles weigh absolutely nothing. And the way that they sit on my hip has been absolutely perfect. That coupled with the fact that leather just doesn't seem to weigh that much, means that the only weight I'm really feeling is the weight of the gun itself. With the larger 1911 it took a little bit of getting used to however most of the time with my job I'm wearing suspenders over a button-up dress shirt so the suspenders alleviate the weight. With the smaller 1911 honestly cannot even feel the weight. I did make myself a belt out of 15 oz Herman oak veg tan. No liner. However the belt does a very good job of keeping my trousers up. Thank you for the comments. I learned a long time ago the kiss method of doing things. Keep it simple. So plain is the way to go for me.

5 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

very nice plain and simple but do the job nicely:notworthy:

I appreciate the feedback. I just use the old kiss method. Keep it simple stupid. I'm not a huge fan of taking the easy way, however this one just seemed to work out for me. Still lots of stitching while sewing in the liner and let me tell you putting that welt onto the edge was a bear, but I'm genuinely happy with the way it turned out.

Nice work!

I like them!!