Gosut

Synthetic Quartzite vs Marble Slabs

Am going to have to order one or the other. The synthetic quartzite is 1" / 2.54 cm thick and the marble is 1.5" / 3.81 cm. Have seen one marble top on an antique dresser and it seemed to hold up well, but seem to recall it stained and that it can react to acids. OTOH, the slab I'm looking at is thicker. Marble will adversely react with acids to the point that acid rain eroded marble sculpture, but is this a significant concern?

I think you’re good with either one you choose. 

A quick google search: 

Quartzite is much harder than marble is. measuring a 7 on the Mohs hardness scale, quartzite far surpasses marble which is usually around 3.

Is quartzite more fragile than marble?

As it is harder than marble, it is less prone to daily wear or tear and is also not vulnerable to chipping and stains. Besides being durable, quartzite countertops are also resistant to heat. Therefore, keeping any hot pan or pan on it will not damage it. It also doesn't scratch, even if you use a knife on its surface.

and regarding the acid question.  Unless you're planning on dumping acid on it, or leaving it in the back yard with acid rain for a hundred years, I can't image there being any impact.  If you spill something on it that shouldn't be on it..... clean it off.  I believe marble is somewhat porous, and could stain - but I would recommend never dying your leather directly on the slab.  

Edited by Littlef

I have a small Quartzite slab about 9x12", some pieces of marble various sizes, and 2 granite slabs about 12x24".  I haven't had any kind of problem with any of them, except they are getting heavier as I age!

2 hours ago, Gosut said:

Marble will adversely react with acids to the point that acid rain eroded marble sculpture, but is this a significant concern?

yes it is. certain fluids used with leather and the tannens will leech out etching into the marble leaving an uneven working surface 

2 hours ago, Gosut said:

Am going to have to order one or the other

I favor thicker slabs over thinner slabs.  Not so much an opinion on material.  FYI before you order one, if you have a local granite/marble shop that actually does the fabrication you could see if they have any scrap.  Local granite place has a massive pile of off cuts (circular cut outs for garbage bins in countertops/small squares from sink cut outs, etc.) and they just treat it like garbage.  Told me to take as much as I wanted when I asked if I could have a piece.

I find that marble cracks far more easily than granite.  Also stains and pits. 

6 hours ago, RidgebackCustoms said:

I favor thicker slabs over thinner slabs.  Not so much an opinion on material.  FYI before you order one, if you have a local granite/marble shop that actually does the fabrication you could see if they have any scrap.  Local granite place has a massive pile of off cuts (circular cut outs for garbage bins in countertops/small squares from sink cut outs, etc.) and they just treat it like garbage.  Told me to take as much as I wanted when I asked if I could have a piece.

The closest granite countertop place is about an hour away, and they're working when I am.  Closer to a monument company, but don't know how well I can handle a slab of granite 3 to 4 inches thick. I agree that scrap countertop granite would be the way to go.

22 minutes ago, Gosut said:

The closest granite countertop place is about an hour away, and they're working when I am.  Closer to a monument company, but don't know how well I can handle a slab of granite 3 to 4 inches thick. I agree that scrap countertop granite would be the way to go.

I wish you was closer to me. I got a 18x36 or a 18x24 slab a 1.5" thick I would give you. 

All granite places don't give away scraps.  I went to the granite store down the street from me, and asked if they had any scraps or cut out, and they all laughed at me.  They had cut samples (which I'm sure were cleaned up scraps. ) I bought a sample piece for $25 bucks, which saved me from have to drive around asking other shops.

38 minutes ago, Littlef said:

All granite places don't give away scraps. 

Very true.  I called around to a few shops before I found the good stuff and most were incredulous I would even ask.  But if you're in the Anderson, SC area I know a place lol.

granite scraps.jpg

1 hour ago, RidgebackCustoms said:

Very true.  I called around to a few shops before I found the good stuff and most were incredulous I would even ask.  But if you're in the Anderson, SC area I know a place lol.

granite scraps.jpg

That's a fine lookin scrap pile

2 hours ago, RidgebackCustoms said:

Anderson, SC? Have been there a few times, the last time in 1980, coming in from Hartwell, GA. That makes me think of Elberton, GA, and the granite there. At first glance, thought the photo was of a monument company lot, then noticed the granite in sheets. Think that most granite countertop material in the US is imported.

Thanks to the replies, think I'll go with the synthetic quartzite.

I use a 1' x 1' piece of marble for a lot of my tooling. It has worked well so far but it is developing a fine crack across the middle. I also have a large slab of slate I use for larger pieces. It's pretty solid but I don't dare hit really hard on it. Your idea of quartz is a good one but like you mention, it's thinner. I have been tempted to get two slabs of quartz bonded together to make a thicker piece. I'll probably pursue that one of these days.

I've used sink cutout granite pieces, scrap granite, and a 1.5" marble.  They all worked for a while.  The granite finally split in two.  I skive on my stones, and the marble is too soft to skive on.  The best find was at a monument company.  My wife and I were purchasing a headstone for a relative.  I asked one of the guys about scrap 3" stones.  I got one for free.  This company also had smaller stones (still 3 inches thick) for departed pets (about 12"x 18").  Yes, my stone is heavy, and I do not move it.  I set it into my bench, and that is where it stays.  I will say, I was not successful on my first attempt to find a discarded headstone, but I finally got lucky.  

I don't see that anyone has mentioned granite inspection plates yet. You don't need a tight tolerance inspection plate for stamping on. I started out stamping on the 8x12 marble that Tandy sold and when my first wife died, the headstone company gave me a second stone with a small chip defect on an edge. It was good - plenty of mass for good stamp definition and absorbed sound well. The only thing that made me give it up was I wanted a bench with the stone inset and squaring up the edges was going to cost a bit. I ordered an inspection plate from Grizzly. They had a deal with Fedex Freight for shipping that was a smoking deal to get it to me also. They have several sizes of no-ledge and 2 and 3 inch thicknesses. 

19 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

I don't see that anyone has mentioned granite inspection plates yet. You don't need a tight tolerance inspection plate for stamping on. I started out stamping on the 8x12 marble that Tandy sold and when my first wife died, the headstone company gave me a second stone with a small chip defect on an edge. It was good - plenty of mass for good stamp definition and absorbed sound well. The only thing that made me give it up was I wanted a bench with the stone inset and squaring up the edges was going to cost a bit. I ordered an inspection plate from Grizzly. They had a deal with Fedex Freight for shipping that was a smoking deal to get it to me also. They have several sizes of no-ledge and 2 and 3 inch thicknesses. 

I was going to mention the Grizzly granite inspection plate/platen. But after I seen the $199 freight. I was like nope. Stone was $155.