AdamHaskin

Used machines?

I'm new to leatherwork and I was thinking about getting a sewing machine, but it appears to be a pretty substantial investment. Is there a place to look where I might be able to get a used machine for a little cheaper, or possibly just a cheaper manual machine that is more in a beginner price range? Unfortunately, I want to stitch projects that are pretty thick (holsters, tack, etc.), but my hands don't enjoy all the hand stitching.

7 hours ago, AdamHaskin said:

Unfortunately, I want to stitch projects that are pretty thick (holsters, tack, etc.), but my hands don't enjoy all the hand stitching.

What is your price range????

For holsters you need a Class 441 capable machine like say a Cowboy 3200 or 3500 or 4500. Another option would be a manual machine like a Tippman Boss or a Cowboy Outlaw.

kgg

8 hours ago, AdamHaskin said:

I want to stitch projects that are pretty thick (holsters, tack, etc.)

Almost 40 years ago, I went through the growing pains of finding a proper sewing machine for leather projects and holsters. I started out by getting what turned out to be a tailoring machine, but looked like it could handle anything. WRONG! I kept buying heavier machines from people who insisted that their machine could sew anything you put under the foot, or feet (walking foot machines have two feet). The most I could sew on a Singer 111w155 turned out to be about 5/16 inch on a pancake holster, using #138 bonded thread.

I've owned over two dozen industrial sewing machines since I started in this business. The machines that are built to sew thin work are too light duty to sew thick items, and vice-versa. I keep different machines for different types of sewing. All holsters are sewn on a Cowboy CB4500. No ifs, ands, or buts! I have standard walking foot machines to handle thinner work, upholstery, patches, and repairs.

I suggest that you read this topic that I started a number of years ago:

3 hours ago, kgg said:

What is your price range????

For holsters you need a Class 441 capable machine like say a Cowboy 3200 or 3500 or 4500. Another option would be a manual machine like a Tippman Boss or a Cowboy Outlaw.

kgg

Well, it's looking like my price range might be higher than I wanted. Lol. I was hoping for around $1000, but I might just wait and save up for a nicer machine and be done with it. I'll check out the models you suggested. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Almost 40 years ago, I went through the growing pains of finding a proper sewing machine for leather projects and holsters. I started out by getting what turned out to be a tailoring machine, but looked like it could handle anything. WRONG! I kept buying heavier machines from people who insisted that their machine could sew anything you put under the foot, or feet (walking foot machines have two feet). The most I could sew on a Singer 111w155 turned out to be about 5/16 inch on a pancake holster, using #138 bonded thread.

I've owned over two dozen industrial sewing machines since I started in this business. The machines that are built to sew thin work are too light duty to sew thick items, and vice-versa. I keep different machines for different types of sewing. All holsters are sewn on a Cowboy CB4500. No ifs, ands, or buts! I have standard walking foot machines to handle thinner work, upholstery, patches, and repairs.

I suggest that you read this topic that I started a number of years ago:

Ya. From everything I've been reading and seeing online, most people are saying just save up and buy the best tool for the job, so you don't end up going through a bunch of cheap machines that won't end up doing what you want anyway. I was looking at cobras wishing I could afford one but thinking I'd settle for something less to get me by. Now I'm thinking I might just wait til I have enough saved to pull the trigger on something I won't regret buying later.

Once someone mentions holsters it makes the machine choice easier - because there is very little choice! Either a 441-class machine or one of those "one-arm bandits", such as the Cowboy Outlaw. Nothing else can handle the heavy thread, has the clearance under the feet or the sheer punching power needed.

I recommend saving your money & just purchase a Cobra or Cowboy. If you can hold out that long. 

I bought a Cobra Class 4, then waited a couple years & then bought a Cobra Class 26. 

I couldnt be happier with my purchase of the Cobra machines. 

Welcome to the rabbit hole. The problem is that whatever machine you look at, the next one up is a "just" few hundred dollars more.  But then at some point the machine becomes too big to conveniently do smaller items like wallets, bags, etc.

Keep us posted about your progress.

Don´t forget the good old Singer 45K or their modern clones like GA5-1 or CB2500. Also the Adler 5. These machines have been used for many decades before the triple feed machines became "en vogue".

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb2500.html

Sure, not as good as the triple feed machines like cb4500 and the like but they work. Depends a little bit how thick you want to sew and if you want to sell leather goods or if you just sew things now and then. I´m using a Singer 45 and for me they work. I could justify a $2000-$3000 machine. I restored my 45D91 ~8 yrs ago and still have it. I´m not selling leather goods but it works for me.

You're quite right of course, Constable, some of those old machines can certainly do the job but I deliberately didn't mention them because I didn't want to confuse the poor lad!;)

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I could justify a $2000-$3000 machine.

I meant I could NOT justify... ;)

some folks say buy once cry once - maybe true if you have the money and you know you will have a good output. I have seen people buying f.i. a CB4500 and spent big money and soon figured its not the right hobby and sold the machine with a loss. If it is for a business then its a different story but still...

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Constabulary

6 hours ago, AlZilla said:

Welcome to the rabbit hole. The problem is that whatever machine you look at, the next one up is a "just" few hundred dollars more.  But then at some point the machine becomes too big to conveniently do smaller items like wallets, bags, etc.

Keep us posted about your progress.

Exactly. I thought "I'll get a manual machine. That'll probably be a lot cheaper," but they're still just expensive enough that it's worth just saving a little more to get one of the less expensive motorized ones. Then I started looking at reviews and watching a bunch of videos and everyone raves about the cobras and I've never been one to refuse the temptation of having the biggest and best equipment, even if it stays just a hobby. Pocketbook be damned!

8 hours ago, dikman said:

Once someone mentions holsters it makes the machine choice easier - because there is very little choice! Either a 441-class machine or one of those "one-arm bandits", such as the Cowboy Outlaw. Nothing else can handle the heavy thread, has the clearance under the feet or the sheer punching power needed.

That is what I'm learning. Why do I pick up such expensive hobbies? Lol

7 hours ago, DieselTech said:

I recommend saving your money & just purchase a Cobra or Cowboy. If you can hold out that long. 

I bought a Cobra Class 4, then waited a couple years & then bought a Cobra Class 26. 

I couldnt be happier with my purchase of the Cobra machines. 

That's probably what I'll end up doing. Looks like I'm diving in head first!