Sign in to follow this  
MatthewD

should I cut pattern up or not?

Okay, I feel a bit dumb asking this one because I should know but for the life of me, I can't think if how you would do it. I just got the patterns for making quivers and other items for archery. It has the shapes of the different pieces on the pattern but I am not sure I should cut it up or not. I know with cloth patterns, you lay out your pattern on the top of the cloth and cut it out, do you do the same thing with these types of leather patterns? If so, what about where it over laps with other pieces for another pattern?

Okay, I feel a bit dumb asking this one because I should know but for the life of me, I can't think if how you would do it. I just got the patterns for making quivers and other items for archery. It has the shapes of the different pieces on the pattern but I am not sure I should cut it up or not. I know with cloth patterns, you lay out your pattern on the top of the cloth and cut it out, do you do the same thing with these types of leather patterns? If so, what about where it over laps with other pieces for another pattern?

For patterns like that where they overlap each other, or I just dont want to cut up the original, I got some large sheets of graphite transfer paper, 18x36 inches. I trace the original onto cardboard, brown paper, etc. Some of my patterns for different parts of saddles I cut out of leather splits. That way they are durable and flexable and I can fit somewhat fit them to the tree and see where adjustments will need to be made.

Clay

My first instinct in that situation would be to use a ballpoint stylus and go over it that way, which is what I do for my own items. But my items tend to be way smaller.

Clay and Chitin those both sound like good ideas.. I think I am going to try both of them and see how they work. I appreciate it, I knew when I put this up that someone here would have a great idea...

I have not ran into one that overlaps, but I dont like to cut up my patterns... especially if they represent different sizes... so i use the graphite paper (transfer paper) (what used to be carbon paper but I dont think they make carbon papter any longer) put it in between thickish poster board, and the pattern, and tract the pattern... it goes through the transfer paper and then I cut out the new pattern from the poster board. I mark everything and store it in either a folder or large envelope when i am done.

You can also go to a place like staples of kinkos & they have machines that will copy a sheet up to 36" (I believe)- that's how i copy my leathercrafters' journal centerfolds. Then I can spray glue the pages to posterboard & cut them out & you haven't destroyed your pattern pages.

There ya go... I think it is 36 inch long and as wide as you need.... I needed to get a print out of a carving pattern I am (putting off) working on, and I went to Kinkos and they printed out several sizes for me... if they have to resize it they will charge you to do so....

But all in all it doesnt cost much to have them printed out... think it was like $15 for 10 printouts all different sixes so i could get the right size...

On your working pattern spray it with laquer - neatlac - or similar to stiffen the edges and you'll get more mileage from them.

Or use clear Contact paper over the paper. Good idea to mark and file, too. You don't have to repeat the whole process the next time someone wants the same thing.

Johanna

if you cant find a large format copier, just piecemeal it using copies as large as you can find.

You can also go to a place like staples of kinkos & they have machines that will copy a sheet up to 36" (I believe)- that's how i copy my leathercrafters' journal centerfolds. Then I can spray glue the pages to posterboard & cut them out & you haven't destroyed your pattern pages.

Darn it, I should learn to write, walk away for at least an hour, come back & proofread before I post... I meant to say, staples OR kinkos, not staples OF kinkos.

In the words of the immortal Bugs Bunny, ..."What a maroon!". (And to think that 30-some years ago I used to write all my articles on a typewriter and had to proofread as I wrote and BEFORE I hit the keys.) :coffeecomp:

I have issues with patterns (some commercial sewing patterns are too confusing for me) so I make almost all the patterns I use.

Depending on the pattern and what it's for I use either the white paper with 1" grid lines that you get at the office supply store that is used for presentations. It looks like a HUGE pad of paper 24" x 36". I can't remember what it is called.

If it's a pattern that is going to get milage, I trace it out onto posterboard. I have a big file that my husband made me from scrap panel board that I store them in.

My best source of of paper and cardboard for patterns is a friend who works at the newspaper. He brings me the ends of the rolls of paper that they throw away and the huge cardboard spool caps 24" x 24" to use.

hmm. i've been using bag stiffener from tandy's for my patterns. lasts a long time and it's just a matter of tracing around it. i also use the carbon paper to transfer the pattern to the bag stiffener.

I have a file cabinet full of "hard" patterns. I do sheaths for about 28 custom knife makers and many of them create the same profile over and over. I buy 4' X 8' sheets of sign maker PVC from a sign company here in town. It cuts very easily with Exacto knife or scissors and the patterns last forever....and then some. This is basically the same stuff you see in the sign depatments of Wal Mart etc. The For Sale, For Rent, No Trespassing and so forth. The 4' X 8' sheet costs less than $30. I've used it for saddle parts, chaps, Chinks and of course knife sheaths, and any thing else I plan on making more than one of.

Paul

In my oponion you guys are putting way too much work in this. Here is what I do. Take cardboard, I use a product from a local paper company called chipboard. Lay it under your pattern and take your stitch marking wheel and run over the pattern and the little dots from the stitch wheel will transfer onto the cardboard. Then you remove the pattern, play connect the dots and you have your pattern on cardboard and you can cut it out. I have an older head knife that I use to cut the chipboard as it makes a cleaner cut than using sissors.

Another sourse for free cardboard is the feed store. Most of the feed that come in on pallets will have a piece of heavy cardboard laying on the pallett before the feed is stacked. My local feed store saves these for me. I have enough saved to last for a long time. I use them to make saddle patterns.

For making patterns for smaller items I use quilters pattern plastic sheets I buy at the sewing department. Heavy plastic sheets 8X10 or so.

Randy