Sign in to follow this  
Johanna

Do you have a Makers Mark?

This logo belongs to SteveB Leatherworks and I like it. leatherworkerlogo.gif Would make a great tattoo.

Got to thinking about logos with Candyleather's custom stamps, and the one we had made years ago for Artifax, our leather business. Little Jon would hide a "JA" in a carving if he especially liked the work. John Henry stamped a maker stamp in every piece he did. How do you sign your work? Post a pic of your mark, if you have one.

Johanna

post-5-1172853420_thumb.jpg

Johanna, great topic.

I really struggled with the idea of creating a maker's mark. And Infinity's web site didn't make things any easier. They have all kinds of examples of unique maker stamps (check out these samples) and the classic saddler's stamp (more samples).

I debated the choices: using last name only... Or a web address... Or some sort of brand name... Or a custom logo... :no::blink:

In the end, I decided to go with something very understated and simple: my initials in 1/8" tall text. My avatar is a close-up of this mark. (I also attach an example of how it looks on a project.) I've been using it for a while and like it. It works well in small spaces, and gives just a hint of who made the item (for those of us who are a bit bashful :blush:).

I definitely look forward to seeing what other folks post.

-Alex

07_belt.jpg

post-162-1172856814_thumb.jpg

I agree with Alex. Deciding on how to mark you work can be a difficult decision. Heck, it still surprises me that people insist that I sign my work. When I started looking at makers stamps, I wanted it quite small. I didn't want it to look like a blaring advertisement. I ended up buying a delrin (plastic) maker stamp and they work really well, make a good impression and are reasonalby priced. I have used this stamp on a few saddles, but I don't care for it on much else. I usually just carve in ClayB with my swivel knife. That way it is marked in a more subtle way. Seems like that is the way several of the people that I have been learning from do it.

maker_marks_001__Large_.jpg

maker_marks_002__Large_.jpg

maker_marks_003__Large_.jpg

maker_marks_004__Large_.jpg

maker_marks_005__Large_.jpg

maker_marks_006__Large_.jpg

post-12-1172859041_thumb.jpg

post-12-1172859085_thumb.jpg

post-12-1172859112_thumb.jpg

post-12-1172859221_thumb.jpg

post-12-1172859246_thumb.jpg

post-12-1172859273_thumb.jpg

I only started marking my work recently, and forget to do it most times.... Here is a picture of a clutch purse I made for my sister and I remembered to mark it.

DSCN0486.jpg

Close Up of my mark

my_mark.jpg

post-834-1172862444_thumb.jpg

post-834-1172862824_thumb.jpg

Johanna, this is something I hadn't thought about. Where would one put their stamp on a pair of chaps?

Alex, great link for stamps, thanks for sharing. I like the choices that are available. Especially the stamps that are 1" and 2" set.

Stephanie

This has me thinking a lot about the whole concept of maker marks. I always signed (hand engraved) gold & silver jewelry with my first name only. I thought the stamps on jewelry looked too much like "factory" and not custom. But, the leather stamps I see here seem to allow for a lot more personalization. Simply because there is a lot more room to work, even if hidden in corner of design. It will probably will be some time before I qualify to make something for "outside the famly" but, for the 1st time, I'm considering a stamp.

If you use a stamp, do you have more than one size? If you made a belt and chaps, would you stamp both with the same size?

"Inquiring (or wandering) minds want too know" [LOL]

Regis

This has me thinking a lot about the whole concept of maker marks. I always signed (hand engraved) gold & silver jewelry with my first name only. I thought the stamps on jewelry looked too much like "factory" and not custom. But, the leather stamps I see here seem to allow for a lot more personalization. Simply because there is a lot more room to work, even if hidden in corner of design. It will probably will be some time before I qualify to make something for "outside the famly" but, for the 1st time, I'm considering a stamp.

If you use a stamp, do you have more than one size? If you made a belt and chaps, would you stamp both with the same size?

"Inquiring (or wandering) minds want too know" [LOL]

Regis

Hello Regis

I think it is fairly common practice to have a stamp of some kind to identify your work.

I think it shows pride in your craftsmanship and it also identifies it as made by YOU and not a copy or a knockoff. Many people buy handmade leather goods because they are unique and one of a kind or custom just for them. That almost can become meaningless without a makers stamp or mark.

I have several stamps that I use. One is my saddle makers stamp that gives my name and location. I also have one that I use to mark books, spur straps chaps etc. It only says Blake Kral "Cowographer". I also had one before I sold my retail business and tried to retire that simply said Blake Kral Saddle Co.. That only showed that it was made by my company but not by me personally.

Over the years I have had the pleasure of trading work with other craftsman and some of that work has become highly collectable but would not be without a makers mark.

If you are considering buying one , A Delrin stamp would be a good starter and reasonably priced. After you use it awhile you may want to change it and that won't be as costly as a steel stamp.

Of course there are exceptions. I reguested a Makers Stamp impression from a top Saddle Maker a few years back and he politely told me that he has never had one. That got me really looking at his saddles and they are all signed with a swivel knife and just plain old steel number and letter stamps that are used to mark steel. On the other hand his work in itself is his signature and extremely hard to duplicate.

I can post a couple of pictures of my stamps if you are interested.

Just my $.02 worth and you can keep the change.

Kind Regards

Blake

I reguested a Makers Stamp impression from a top Saddle Maker a few years back and he politely told me that he has never had one. That got me really looking at his saddles and they are all signed with a swivel knife and just plain old steel number and letter stamps that are used to mark steel. On the other hand his work in itself is his signature and extremely hard to duplicate.

You know, not too long ago, I read that many of the pioneering Native American potters didn't sign their work, either. I think they felt it was some sort of a vanity, and that the unique styles and distinctions of their work would be the most proper way to identify the maker.

I don't necessarily agree (and most modern potters are now signing their work), but it's an interesting point of view. Stylistically, couldn't we all identify a BMW, even if it didn't have a nameplate? Or an Randall knife? Or a Chihuly vase?

I suppose I'm just talking about the "holy grail" of leatherwork -- when someone knows it's your piece just from the workmanship and style.

I have a couple of different ones, and it depends on what I'm making as to which one I use. This is the one that goes on the holsters:

MakersMark.jpg

I have it in two different sizes - 1" and 1.5"

:) That's one of the problems after you have judged a few shows. You can pretty much tell who did what, even though the names or marks are to be covered and the judges aren't supposed to know who entered what...but you can't help it. You recognize a style, and know so-and-so must have done that one...

Johanna

i have thought about having a nice stamp made but, just can't come up with a design i like.

i have done over sixty seats now and use a veiner to produce my mark. it's simple and i off set it slightly on the nose of the seat. anyone that has seen my work knows it's mine. it does get noticed as i do get questions as to what that mark is

elseat.jpg

post-192-1174325055_thumb.jpg

Where you you get the stamps made? I am in Australia & work with roo hide. I'd love to get a stamp to make it look more professional & also to let people know who made it but I dont know where to start looking.

Linda

This is a picture of a ring that I had custom made for myself a few years back.

When it came time to sign my first piece, I was clueless and just about to give up.

I just happened to look down at my hand at just the right moment and inspiration struck me.

Now I use that design. Most times I cut it with the swivel knife, but once in a while I'll use a little branding iron and burn it in. It depends on the piece and how I think I can fit it in without being obtrusive.

I thought of getting a real makers stamp, but I like having more control over the size of each signature.

Maybe someday, if I get real good at this, I'll invest in a makers stamp, but for now this is suitable.

mwring2.jpg

post-340-1183852773_thumb.jpg

Bild0392_Gro_e_Webansicht.jpg Here is mine, it is based on the old style makers mark to suit the old west gunleather i produce

post-1381-1183853366_thumb.jpg

Hi, Linda!

Billie and the crew at Infinity made mine. Their website is Infinity Stamps

Don, where did you get it made?

Linda

A friend made it for me, he works at some metall company all they did was put the desighn in the computer and laser cut it out, Don

can you find my stamp in this photo? :rolleyes:

kevinking__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1197928256_thumb.jpg

can you find my stamp in this photo? :rolleyes:

That's a very interesting use of a maker stamp, Kevin. Mine wouldn't look quite right used like that, but I may try it out any way. Nice purse!

Kathy

This is my stamp. I decided to use my signature in my stamp. This is the signature I use on my drawings as well. My stamp was made by Harper Manufacturing in Las Vegas and I think they did a great job. It seems to be stamping better the older it gets.

maker_stamp.jpg

post-3790-1189686945_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the props Johanna. I update my logo's presentation every year - I keep the hammer and mallets logo consistent in all I do - but I produce different treatments around them - and i use these on stickers, business cards, fridge magnets, t-shirts and sweatshirts - some of that crap I sell (enough to pay for the effort), honestly, most of it I give away to my friends and good repeat customers of which I have a few

I like switching it up and my customers really like getting some schwag along with their custom on-off leather piece..kind of seals the deal and appears professinal...at least thats what Ive been told

I ordered my maker stamp from Grey Ghost Graphics on the morning of 10/4 and it came by priority mail today 10/6!!!!!! Now that's great service and the stamp is first rate. Makes a great impresion in leather. Mine was $55 plus postage and Jeff is great to deal with.

J_Double_A_maker_stamp.jpg

post-3561-1191708809_thumb.jpg

Edited by gunfighter48

very good marketing idea steve, I am kicking around the same type of idea when I get up and running, I was thinking along the lines of a small bottle of leather care solution or greased lightning holster treatment (I think thats the name), kind of like those sample bottles of stuff at hotels. Maybe a small logo keychain or bottle opener on a little snap chain(got one of those with a pair of boots I bought once). I do think people appreciate a small token with a purchase, psychologically I think it gives them warm fuzzies and repeat business is a goal afterall. Your logo is great and very condusive to stickers and patches I have seen your t's around town occasionally.