I really admire the saddler/tack people here on LW, and I wish I had more of that kind of work to drag me into that field. I especially like the spur straps, and am amazed at how much detail can go into such a small area.

Well, I've been just playing around trying to come up with new ideas/products I can sell at my flea markets, and such, and came up with these keyrings. They are about 6-7" long, and 2" wide. Neatsfoot and oil dye mix, leather balm, and Hi-Lited. Bullhide fronts, Calfskin backs. Standard conchos.

A special customer (Country/Western kinda guy) asked me to make something like this, so I did, and one of his friends wanted one, so...two sold already, but it might be a fluke.

The stamping ain't great on these prototypes , his was much better (my pic taking makes them look worse than real life), but I'm experimenting in seeing how long they can actually take to make, and the 'how muches", etc.

So far, it's about half an hour for this simple quality, and I'm thinking of charging about $20. That's an awful lot for a keyring in my neck of the woods, so before I start making better ones, I'm going to try a few of these out at the FM.

Seems like an awful lot to say about simple keyrings, but I'll bet there's a lot of you out there making them...

Feel free to add pix of yours, suggestions, critiques, good ideas, pats on the back, it's all good.

HPIM1815.JPG

HPIM1816.JPG

post-5140-1236347777_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1236347788_thumb.jpg

They are nice... and 20 is fair price I think... but You gota belive it to, never sel your self short.

I like those. Very nice. I would say $20 is a fair price. Especially with the conchos.

Very nice and decorative key rings.

The stiching makes it look very pro:-)

RDB

Nice work. You might consider edging, dyeing or staining and rubbing the edges just to give them a finished look. Don't sell yourself short.

Blake

Thanx everyone for the kind words, BUT where's all Yours?

Blake, they are finished, waxed, and sealed, just not round beveled. Sometimes I don't accent with a dark edge, I just use the oil dye/oil mixture.(it's my photography mostly though...I think too much sharpness in the camera setting. They all shine in real life from leather balm, but nothing shines in the pic...go figger.)

PS: I'm 5'7" and at 60. I seem to get shorter every day...I don't have to sell myself short,I AM short...lol.

Very nice job on all of those. It is nice to see that even the "little" things can be fabulous.

Crystal

Nice work!

I made some Key rings simular to yours but with more of a poper shape to them. Then I braided a simple knot on top. They looked like miniture popers that you see on a good set of romals. Then I twisted the idea and built of some fany little rein connectors to atach your rein chains to tour bridle reins. Like you say, their alot of work for such a small project but it's lots of fun =). Your conchos are a cool idea. They definatly make a more marketable product to a wider range of people. I think even a motocyle rider would be intersted i what you got there.

very cool..

Jed

Those look great! You've inspired me to make some. That's a great way to try out new ideas and techniques. I'll post 'em as get 'em made and you can tell me how to make 'em better! :-)

Bob

They look great and if indeed there is a market for them, I'd get myself a clicker set-up and bang 'em out big time.

Hey RDB, I've made a few of the fancier, keyrings myself. Sorry didn't take any pics, but I put a concha on them and double loop laced some and got $20 to $25 dollars around my small town for them. Up there around where you're at should sell like hotcakes. Now a question for everyone and need some help/advice. I've got a place about 20 miles from me that makes leather stuff, but they sell wholesale to stores and places like Carowinds, Six Flags, and used to sell to Disney World. They do some clicker work also, my question is I am thinking about buying some vegtan key fobs from them. I can get several different shapes for about .30 to .35 is this a good price or should I check out somewhere else? Thanks a heap, and RDB keep making them and they will sell. Regards Billy P

These turned out great.

Art

They do some clicker work also, my question is I am thinking about buying some vegtan key fobs from them. I can get several different shapes for about .30 to .35 is this a good price or should I check out somewhere else? Thanks a heap, and RDB keep making them and they will sell. Regards Billy P

Billy,

You may want to check out this page at Leather Unlimited. If you have

plans on making them for a long time to come this may be a better option.

http://leatherunltd.com/hardware/mallet_di...allet_dies.html

WINDY

Thanx everyone, and I like that price on the dies!

BUT, I've shown mine, now YOU show us yours...lol