BearMan

Sheridan Checkbook cover design by Jim Linnell

Here is a checkbook cover I just finished tooling. The sheridan style design is by Jim Linnell. I hope that I did him justice. I just got my Photo Studio/tent,,, & just had to try it out. It Really helps ALOT!! I just need to get a few things figured out,,, like the best angle to prop the piece,,, & the best angles for the lights(which came with the tent). But for the first picture with it,,, I'm pretty impressed!

Soooo what do "Ya'LL" think??? Ed the"BearMan"

checkbook_back2_good.jpg

post-7175-1239460876_thumb.jpg

Very very nice fantastic work.

Josh

WOW..I would love to be able to carve like that!

very nice work, but.... get rid of the matting tool for the background and get you some bar grounder or round grounders for the sheridan work. Just a suggestion to make a great piece of work better.

Randy

Very talented, looks really clean. Definetly not an easy project. nicely done, James

Looks really good but I agree with randy I like the bar grounder with sheridan.

What is that matter though I think it could look really cool on some other projects.

What does a bar grounder look like?

Tom

Hello Tom,

A Bar Grounder is a series of small circles gouped very close together. They can be in multiples of 1,2,3,4,5, or 6 sometimes more. They are right, I should have used a bar grounder for the background. I had already started with the one I used here, without thinking. By then I was committed,,, sooo I had to finish it out. But,,, it would be better with a bar grounder type of background.

Thanks Everybody for all the nice comments!! I knew somebody would see the "substitution" on the background mistake. Force of habit can be a terrible thing,,, hehehe I just started going, before I realized,,, & said a few "Choice" words!! Ohhh well

Tom, Here is a picture of bargrounder impressions. Ed

Tom

bargounders_40_lg.jpg

post-7175-1239475992_thumb.jpg

Here are a cpl picture of the completed checkbook. Ed

checkbook_GOOD.jpg

checkbook2_GOOD.jpg

checkbook4_GOOD.jpg

checkbook5_GOOD.jpg

post-7175-1239477155_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1239477186_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1239477209_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1239477225_thumb.jpg

That is a beautiful job, Ed! :thumbsup:

Crystal

I have to say that I really do like the matted background. I understand that sheidan is typically bargrounded but nice job breaking the rules even if it was just out of habit. James

Rules are made to be broken!! Great job!

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

Ed,

I like the result even though it doesn't fit the traditional or purist standpoint for Sheridan style carving. The cover is sharp and clean. It has produced a beautiful cover.

Regards,

Ben

I respect a lot of tradition. That said, if rules had always been followed, there would be no Sheridan style to begin with, the variations there are of it, or many other styles now. :whatdoyouthink:

Ditto to what Bruce said.....

Without people attempting other styles and such we would not have what we have today. Today's traditions will not be the same in 20-30 years.

Styles, methods and materials will progress and we have to keep up with that...Just look at the issues with finishes in the last 20 years as one such example.

With that said...There is also a lot of wisdom in some of the older traditions and methods. We have to make informed decisions/choices when we move forward.

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

Bearman

Beautiful work and fantastic relief. I know bargrounders are the norm in Sheridan work, but like some others, change is good. A lot depends on the piece and / or customer preference.

I have to say that I really do like the matted background. I understand that sheidan is typically bargrounded but nice job breaking the rules even if it was just out of habit. James

I have to agree with James. I too like the matted background. But I have never used the bargrounder. So what do I know. Well back to on my photo album.

Tom

I have to agree with James. I too like the matted background. But I have never used the bargrounder. So what do I know. Well back to on my photo album.

Tom

Well I cant seem to get the tool into smaller places. Could I see some examples please.

Tom

Bar grounders can look great and also really bad. It's hard to get it right sometimes, for me anyhow. So, the overall affect is the important thing. The background is just that. It adds depth, to any style and can also add some of it's own unique character and flow within the pattern. If the backgound area is really large, it begins to take on a dominate role and that much bargrounder work can be overwhelming and detracts from the overall appearance.

Just my 2 cents worth.... I like the carving. Shows tremendous knife control. Better than I can muster on my best day.

Well I cant seem to get the tool into smaller places. Could I see some examples please.

Tom

Not to hijack the thread,

Carl are you saying that your using some now? If so what sizes 3,5,7 ? i like to use a 3 and a 7, the 3 to help get into the tight places of course. While I am not very good at getting it all even here is a pic, Feel free to pick out my mistakes everyone. James leather_016.JPG

post-7313-1239556549_thumb.jpg

BearMan,

Your work looks great. I personally really dislike the look of bargrounders, so I never use them. That pattern is one of my favorite patterns that Tandy used to have. You did it justice.

Aaron