MrWilliams

Perfect Hand Stitching Photos

Just want to get a feel for what people think hand stitching should look like. These are some things I have seen that I think look pretty darn good.

leatherwave.jpg

PICT0013.JPG

post-10452-1241715916_thumb.jpg

post-10452-1241716122_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple of photos of some sewing I did the other day that turned out pretty good. The cantle binding and inlaid seat were both handsewn in the first photo, the second photo shows a handsewn horncap. People sometimes ask if I sew saddles with a dremel drill... personally, I find it insulting but I guess it's people who just don't know any better.

D.

stitching1.jpg

stitching2.jpg

I don't know if it's perfect... although it looks damn good to me. This is one of a few bags I have made by hand.

-Andy

bag18.jpg

New_bag1.jpg

New_bag3.jpg

post-8183-1241726637_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1241726648_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1241726681_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple of photos of some sewing I did the other day that turned out pretty good. The cantle binding and inlaid seat were both handsewn in the first photo, the second photo shows a handsewn horncap. People sometimes ask if I sew saddles with a dremel drill... personally, I find it insulting but I guess it's people who just don't know any better.

D.

stitching1.jpg

stitching2.jpg

Now, that's how good stitching should look!!!

Tony

Here is some hand sewing that is my personal best, I have not been able to do the same or better since. Unfortunately the photo sucks.

Sandals_8.JPG

Sandals_9.JPG

post-4868-1241743005_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1241743035_thumb.jpg

Darcy, that IS very nice stitching. Nice stamping too.

Darcy,

That's very clean, neat work. I'm wondering what brand of awl blade you use? Also, your edges look very good. Any other tricks to your edges other than the old standbys (glycerine, water, rubstick, canvas, acrylic resolene)?

Hi Kevin,

I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere on this board yet but the best awl blades going come from Bob Douglas. As for the edges, the only thing you missed was elbow grease.

Darc

Awl be darn, Douglas strikes again! Elbow grease? Thought everyone had converted to "motorized rosewood burnishers". Glad to know that I'm not the only one w/ slick edges and tennis elbow. KJ

Great hand stitching requires three things - Patience, Want to, and the Right Tools! This one is an example of my early holster work from the 90s. I made my Awl from an old ice pick with a three sided point that make a perfect hole every time. The thing never needs sharpening and makes life easy.

California.jpg

post-141-1241809516_thumb.jpg

I love the fine finish cuts that you give to the turnbacks. I had to take a moment to realize why they looked more 3-D than mine. It's just that little, subtle cut that rims or edges the turnback.

great!

mins if I steal that technique?

pete

Here is some hand sewing that is my personal best, I have not been able to do the same or better since. Unfortunately the photo sucks.

Just did not have a photo of the left one

i think mine has gotten rather consistent.

DSC05201.jpg

DSC03235.jpg

DSC04998.jpg

Edited by Roger

Romey got that right! Chucks stuff is the best!

This are a closeup from the leatherweights I made a couple days ago

I am not so perfect like some anouther guys but for me its ok and going allways better.....

greets

johann

Fritz_weight_close.jpg

post-6206-1245351503_thumb.jpg

I will try to find a good photo, not so BIG..http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v239/swinewerx/?albumview=grid&fullsize=DSC00009-3.jpg http://smg.photobuck...ze=DSC00008.jpg http://smg.photobuck...=DSC00003-5.jpg http://smg.photobuck...ze=DSC00019.jpg http://smg.photobuck...=DSC00002-4.jpg if you see the chick , that is my wife and she is not naked at all in all the photos, sorry if this offends I don't know how to do this otherwise, sorry http://smg.photobuck...ze=DSC00008.jpg

Edited by swinewerx

http://www.wrtcleather.com/

In my opinion the worlds best unknown leatherworker, everything he touches to my knowledge is hand stitched.

I like him as well as Xian Leather , Christian does all his work by hand, however he did get a machine a while back. but you can tell which was done on a machine, they are all motorcycle seats.

Here's a set of BMW Saddlebags that I recovered a few months back...

HPIM3123.JPG

HPIM3126.JPG

post-6344-125776624415_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125776626132_thumb.jpg

Those look real nice Troy, thats alot of stitching.

Hi Kevin,

I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere on this board yet but the best awl blades going come from Bob Douglas. As for the edges, the only thing you missed was elbow grease.

Darc

Hi Darc,

Your stitching is beautiful. Where can one find a Bob Douglas awl?

Shehog

Great hand stitching requires three things - Patience, Want to, and the Right Tools! This one is an example of my early holster work from the 90s. I made my Awl from an old ice pick with a three sided point that make a perfect hole every time. The thing never needs sharpening and makes life easy.

How does one go about modifying an ice pick to an awl?

Thanks.

Shehog

I would think most small ones are close to the right size anyway... If it was too thick, just stick it in a drill with some rough wet and dry and smooth it down slowly moving up the wet and dry grits until it's mirror buffed.

FOrgot to say, I'm loving all these examples of good stitching.

Edited by 8thsinner

All this hand stitching looks amazing! What thread is everyone using? Waxed or unwaxed? I've been using white waxed nyltex and it comes out looking dirty, any tricks to clean it up?

Jeremy post-29226-096919800 1332251131_thumb.jp012-03-19_11.26.50.jpg]

post-29226-041205000 1332251392_thumb.jp

Edited by J Hayes