harnessman

Weavers Sneaky Price Hike

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that Weavers has changed their shipping policy and thereby increased their shipping cost tremendously! Normally I just file the paperwork from weavers but I took a look at the latest invoice for a buch of high priced lightweight tools, because it seemed to be a bit higher total than I had expected. I was shocked to see that Weavers had hit me for $25 for shipping a small box of tools! This is amost three times what I had been paying for the same type of shipment and adds up to about a 10% price hike on the items that I ordered. YIKES!

jawdropper.gif

I double checked and "back shipped" them through my UPS account, that is the way they came, and the same box would have only cost $9.85 to ship back to Weavers. This seems like a rather steep price hike!

I Called weavers and got the run around "it's policy" routine. I even talked with one of the Weavers, I forget which one, and he said he would check into it and call me back, which he never did, and when I called him back he avoided my call, which rather pissed me off to say the least. Looks like I may be looking for another suplier if they keep this up.

So, If you order stuff from WEavers take a look at the shipping, call them up and complain about it!

asoapbox.gif

Just blowing off steam

Jim

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that Weavers has changed their shipping policy and thereby increased their shipping cost tremendously! Normally I just file the paperwork from weavers but I took a look at the latest invoice for a buch of high priced lightweight tools, because it seemed to be a bit higher total than I had expected. I was shocked to see that Weavers had hit me for $25 for shipping a small box of tools! This is amost three times what I had been paying for the same type of shipment and adds up to about a 10% price hike on the items that I ordered. YIKES!

jawdropper.gif

I double checked and "back shipped" them through my UPS account, that is the way they came, and the same box would have only cost $9.85 to ship back to Weavers. This seems like a rather steep price hike!

I Called weavers and got the run around "it's policy" routine. I even talked with one of the Weavers, I forget which one, and he said he would check into it and call me back, which he never did, and when I called him back he avoided my call, which rather pissed me off to say the least. Looks like I may be looking for another suplier if they keep this up.

So, If you order stuff from WEavers take a look at the shipping, call them up and complain about it!

asoapbox.gif

Just blowing off steam

Jim

I noticed the same thing on my last two orders from them and did complain to one of the staff. I am replacing Weaver as one of my suppliers. Not only that but 5 of the last 6 orders I received from them had errors and like always, you can pay shipping back and take a hit on a restocking fee. GREED, PURE AND SIMPLE. Ken

10% on a $30 item, nobody thinks twice about it. But we all know where our sales are going when WE start charging 10% on a $300 dollar item (much less the pricey stuff!). Yeah, that's gonna happen ... !

I'd like to replace them as a standard supplier as well.... mainly because they take forever to ship out west.

The trouble is, I haven't found anyone on this side of the country that has similar inventory.

I'm pretty sure i read where Weaver was sold. Looks like the new owners want to get all their money back as quick as they can.

Hi All

jawdropper.gif

asoapbox.gif

Just blowing off steam

Jim

Don't blame Vernon Weaver or any other Weaver. Vernon sold the business last year or maybe year before last.

I am no longer allowed to purchase stuff from them because I did not have a tax number on file when the new

owners took over. That is ok with me there are lots of other very nice folks that will sell you leather and leather

working tools a lot of the time cheaper than Weavers.

Edited by busted

I'm not sure I can agree with you guys on weaver and their shipping costs. The last shipment I got from them on a June 16th order ran 14% shipping for about $200. worth of stuff.

We don't as a rule send in a order until we have at least $200. or more worth of items on it, even though weaver only requires a $50. Minimum order. We have found that not making real small orders helps to keep our shipping costs down.

My shipping cost from weaver is and has been for the past several years running 10 to 15% on orders of $200. or more. This has been the same since the fuel price jump of several years when all shipping went up.

The shipping costs from several other of my suppliers seems to run in that same 10 to 15% range, and we pass that cost on to our customers.... Jeff

even though weaver only requires a $50. Minimum order

Not anymore - there is no minimum purchase required

I double checked and "back shipped" them through my UPS account, that is the way they came, and the same box would have only cost $9.85 to ship back to Weavers

But did you add on handling costs? most companies do since it's not the cost of the shipping alone - they must also include the cost of labor for boxing and bookkeeping - factors that should be considered by any one doing business......

Not anymore - there is no minimum purchase required

But did you add on handling costs? most companies do since it's not the cost of the shipping alone - they must also include the cost of labor for boxing and bookkeeping - factors that should be considered by any one doing business......

Chuck, I did not know weaver had dropped their Minimum order requirement, that may be why some shipping cost seem high to some of these folks, as you know smaller orders have higher shipping cost per dollar purchased. This is why I try to avoid making smaller orders. I agree the cost of shipping is not just shipping but includes pulling, packaging, etc. My point was and is I don't think Weaver is out of line on their shipping charges.... Jeff

Yep, I noticed it last week. I ordered a #2 edger for $23.90. It came in a tiny box, but the shipping was $15.00. I'm gonna call them next week & tell them they lost a customer because of their new shipping policy.

Actually, 15% sounds really high to me.

Checking my last few shipments from various suppliers (never ordered from Weaver specifically, so these are other companies), and the highest I've been charged is 7% of net price. Most go by weight but don't mark it on the invoice, so it's easier to compare price ratios. Prices may also vary because I'm in a major metropolitan area and not out west in the sticks. Pulling and packaging are the cost of doing business, and I expect them to take a few dollars more than what UPS charges, but they're already profiting on wholesale markup. A box doesn't cost that much and it'll cost the same if you put $100 in it or $400 in it.

I agree about the 'pulling and packaging' being built in to the price. I don't really see why shipping charges should be more than what is charged the shipper. Again, a built in. The 'fondling' fee is just another gouger, as far as I'm concerned. I try to stay away from these companies. They reduce the price of the item, boost shipping and fondling fees and still call it a "Sale"? Insulting.

The 'Restocking' fee is questionable. I can see it as a deterrent, in a way. I have a friend who is a compulsive shopper. Goes out and buys anything that catches her eye and then brings it back for refund the next day. No profit motive involved. If there were a 'Restocking Fee' I doubt she'd shop there. On the other hand, if I receive a defective product, I should not have to pay a 'Restocking Fee.' I would think that the company should quietly waive that fee on a case-by-case basis.

I've had pretty good luck with Weaver up until recently. The leather they are sending seems like bottom stock. The lady asks, "Is there a special note you'd like me to leave for the warehouse?" I ask for small/no holes and they show up with a 10" hole directly in the center of the hide. Scars everywhere, brands... The note is on the invoice, but it looks like it was ignored! What the :censored2:?? Why even bother adding the note? Customer Service is DEAD!

So I decided to try other sources... a friend gave me the number to Wicket & Craig Tannery.... ordered 5/6 veg-tan.... WOW!! Spectacular difference! 10 times the quality and cheaper than Weaver! Sorry Weaver, you LOSE! Hard economic times are NOT the time to start getting greedy!

I'm not sure I can agree with you guys on weaver and their shipping costs. The last shipment I got from them on a June 16th order ran 14% shipping for about $200. worth of stuff.

We don't as a rule send in a order until we have at least $200. or more worth of items on it, even though weaver only requires a $50. Minimum order. We have found that not making real small orders helps to keep our shipping costs down.

My shipping cost from weaver is and has been for the past several years running 10 to 15% on orders of $200. or more. This has been the same since the fuel price jump of several years when all shipping went up.

The shipping costs from several other of my suppliers seems to run in that same 10 to 15% range, and we pass that cost on to our customers.... Jeff

Well, I for one kind of consider shipping a "customer service", not a "profit center" as the new owners of Weavers seem to think it is. I wish I could tripple my shipping cost, after I had marked up the items to cover all my cost already, but I really do not feel right about gouging my customers that way. Obviously does not bother Weavers a bit! Makes shipping a real profit center with a 200 or 300% profit doesn't it! Nice racket far as I am concerned.

I also quit purchasing leather from Weavers earlier this year and went 100% with W&C. Takes a little longer to get here but the consistency is phenominal, and when you request something special you actually get it unlike the hit or mis from Weavers. In the last year I have returned two hides to Weavers, at their cost - after much bitching - and Vern even agreed on one of them that it should have never been shipped out.

Jim - still disgruntled about the new Weavers shipping policy

Just an observation here. Whenever I have ordered something be it on the phone, or online I was given the shipping total then. I have not ordered some items due to the high shipping costs. Do you guys just tell someone this is what I want, send it, without getting a total first?

Hi All

jawdropper.gif

asoapbox.gif

Just blowing off steam

Jim

As far as I know they got rid of the minimum order charge and went to a flat shipping rate depending on the dollar amount of your order. Yep, it bites! My orders are usually fairly small and I pay $ 15.00 a pop for shipping. I agree with looking for a different supplier but their selection is hard to beat. I have found a few others out there, but they either don't have much of a selection or their prices are quite a bit higher. Oh well.......:blink:

Since the majority of the topic is shipping, I just want to give props to Springfield Leather on this area. A few weeks back I ordered some of the pebbler tools and odds & ends from SLC, they gave me the price and all was good.

I called back 2 weeks ago to order 2 extras of the tools so I can customize them into other shapes and when the girl gave me the total it didn't even equal the price of 1 of the tools. :head_hurts_kr: So when I asked why the bill was so low, she explained that the actual shipping charges on my previous order were less than what their shipping system estimated so they gave me a store credit for the difference. It wasn't a huge amount, but the fact that they were honest enough to give it back was enough to make me a very happy customer. That combined with the fact that I have had Kevin answer product question emails late in the evening, well after they are supposed to be closed, gives it a 'family business' feeling that I like.

I noticed the same thing on my last two orders from them and did complain to one of the staff. I am replacing Weaver as one of my suppliers. Not only that but 5 of the last 6 orders I received from them had errors and like always, you can pay shipping back and take a hit on a restocking fee. GREED, PURE AND SIMPLE. Ken

Jim, thanks for the heads up.

Lets just say I'm not particularly happy after putting in a first order with them recently, I made sure I got a quote first on the shipping as I knew as it was going to be alot as the item is heavy but the shipping was $65.00 more than they quoted, they didn't contact me to say the item had shipped even though I was supposed to get a tracking number and I had to ask them for an updated invoice with shipping included as they left that part off. There is also another problem with the item that I won't go into here yet as I haven't decided on how I am going to proceed with that yet but apart from getting a spare part for the item I bought I very much doubt that I will use them again unless their service improves.

Yep, I noticed it last week. I ordered a #2 edger for $23.90. It came in a tiny box, but the shipping was $15.00. I'm gonna call them next week & tell them they lost a customer because of their new shipping policy.

Do you get a choice of shipping methods with Weaver?

If that had been sent by US Postal Service Priority Mail in a Small Flat Rate Box, that would have cost $4.95...

Too bad all shippers are not aware of the Flat rate box - used when possible is a great deal.

Do you get a choice of shipping methods with Weaver?

If that had been sent by US Postal Service Priority Mail in a Small Flat Rate Box, that would have cost $4.95...

Too bad all shippers are not aware of the Flat rate box - used when possible is a great deal.

No they did not give me a choice of shipping method. I did call them up & complained about the outrageous shipping cost, & told them it could have been sent in a $5 flat rat box. After listening to their defense, they did give me back 1/2 of the shipping cost ($7.50). They also told me that their new shipping policy is in their 2010 catalog, and I should be aware of it next time I order. From now on I will request shipping & handling cost before I give them any $.

Thank you for posting this! I just got my first order from Weaver. I spent over $600 and got a medium sized box of hardware and two rolls of hides (a total of four hides, two hides rolled and wrapped up together). So I got three parcels all together. Total shipping for the order was $86 and some cents. I didn't ask about shipping cost when I placed my order and I've never had leather shipped to me like this before (except for soft leathers that can be folded up in a box). I expected shipping to be high, but I wasn't quite expecting $86. I wanted to "try out" this leather, so I only got a few hides. But I like it and want to order a larger volume. I'm going to give Weaver another chance and see if the shipping charges are any more economical if I order 10+ hides. After reading this post, I will definitely ask them for a shipping quote first!

I was sent a leter from weaver a few months ago and was told that if I donr spend a $1000 thru the year they will discontinue me as a wholesaler. so they are getting very picky. Bronc

We compete with Weaver in some categories so I don't know if it's cool to make any comments.

But, at the risk of going to Gehenom just want to add the following:

1) we all get discounts from UPS of typically 20% or more, so looking up the :"back shipping" is still going to give you an understated value

2) our company provide free freight for any orders over 75 usd in the USA and we will pick up for FREE if you don't want the merchandise. we are the only company that offers the guarantee free return freight policy

3) to be fair to other suppliers I believe there are others providing free freight. don't know their minimums,

I've always known the people at Weaver's to be very honorable in the past.

Best of Luck

Steven Siegel, CEO

siegel.leather@gmail.com

www.siegelofca.com

Any info about shipping from the supply side is welcome here, Steve. And if Weaver was smart, they'd at least be looking here too.

When it comes to the bottom line, we're all looking to reduce costs and increase profit. It almost sounds like they don't want to be in the leather supply business anymore, because they sure aren't competitive to what I want or need. $86 for 4 hides? Were they wrapped in Kevlar and delivered by beautiful women?