alsleather

Belt Stamping Tutorial

This is a tutorial for a stamped belt using six stamps.

post-5968-017324300 1300656378_thumb.jpg After you have sized the belt draw a line on the center.

post-5968-053919900 1300656391_thumb.jpg Start stamping with a geometric stamp G9008-03 or a similar stamp. Always start from the end which the buckle holes will be punched (Billet End).

post-5968-009688100 1300656427_thumb.jpg The next stamp used is a veiner V406 which is stamped between the points of G9008-03.

post-5968-069934700 1300656439_thumb.jpg A border stamp D637 is stamped by filling in the center both sides.

post-5968-004978000 1300656468_thumb.jpg The next stamp is a figure carving stamp F922 which is stamped above D637.

post-5968-053335500 1300656484_thumb.jpg A seeder S932 is stamped between the veiner impressions.

post-5968-039778800 1300656503_thumb.jpg The last stamp is S360 stamped in the center of the pattern.

post-5968-008472100 1300656544_thumb.jpg This is the completed stamped belt.

You can use a variety of stamps when stamping a design.

Have fun stamping!

Allan Scheiderer

Allan,

Great tutorial! Thanks! I'll try this one once I order a couple new stamps.

John

Allan,

Great tutorial! Thanks! I'll try this one once I order a couple new stamps.

John

John,

Thank you for nice compliment !

Allan

I'm currently dabbling in belt stamping myself, this was a great tutorial, as well as a very nice design. I will keep my eye out for any more tutorials you might post in the future!!

I'm just gearing up for stamping my first belt, and have been researching various patterns to give me ideas. It's nice to see the evolution and layering that you used for your tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

I do have a non-stamping question, however. When you dyed the sample for the final photo were you just careful where you applied the dye/stain, or did you use a block over the stamped pattern and edges? Thanks for any insight. I'm VERY new, and I'm eager to learn! :)

I'm just gearing up for stamping my first belt, and have been researching various patterns to give me ideas. It's nice to see the evolution and layering that you used for your tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

I do have a non-stamping question, however. When you dyed the sample for the final photo were you just careful where you applied the dye/stain, or did you use a block over the stamped pattern and edges? Thanks for any insight. I'm VERY new, and I'm eager to learn! :)

Thank you for your nice comments!

I applied Super Shene on the edge and the pattern with two coats. This was then left to dry for a few hours. Next a stain was applied overall with the stain only penetrating what was not finished. It did penetrate the stamp impressions.

I hope this helped you.

Allan

That's exactly what I wanted to know! I've tried that technique once myself, and as I suspected I didn't let the Super Shene dry long enough. Thank you very much for your reply! It's very much appreciated :)

so, you don't moisten the leather prior to stamping?

newby ? here, and I think I remember Dad wetting the leather first..........

You case the leather before stamping. If you are unfamiliar with that process there are many post concerning that. Bob Park (hidepounder) has one of the best explanations.

ferg

so, you don't moisten the leather prior to stamping?

newby ? here, and I think I remember Dad wetting the leather first..........

Thanks for this! Ive been doing some belts but i havent really been doing much of this style! I love it though! Cant wait to modify it to "me" and give it a shot! Thanks for the inspiration!

Bump

Nice tutorial I like this design.