Sign in to follow this  
Starman

Best Way To Show Wear?

What would be the best way to create a belt that looks well worn, something similar to the attached pic?

Thanks!

Wear it.

What would be the best way to create a belt that looks well worn, something similar to the attached pic?

Thanks!

You could do a few things to get a new piece to look like that.

1. Roll the un-dyed, un-treated leather toward the smooth side over and over and over. It will give a wrinkled look to the leather.

2. Take a trick from "shabby Chic" designers and scrape, sand, bash with chains.

3. Drag it behind a car on a gravel road. This would give the most random wear I think.

Definitely try these methods on a test piece or two before you try it on your finished item.

Edited by Sylvia

Smart alecks! ;)

I thought perhaps there was perhaps a way in the initial dying process to give it that 'worn/faded' look without having to actually to to wear the leather down.

Just thought I'd ask.

You could do a few things to get a new piece to look like that.

1. Roll the un-dyed, un-treated leather toward the smooth side over and over and over. It will give a wrinkled look to the leather.

2. Take a trick from "shabby Chic" designers and scrape, sand, bash with chains.

3. Drag it behind a car on a gravel road. This would give the most random wear I think.

Definitely try these methods on a test piece or two before you try it on your finished item.

Thanks!

Here are a couple things I have done,

#1 Light coat of oil on the surface, let it sit 24 hours

#2 apply a light color dye, vary the application, maybe very dry application, or solid application, It is only a "base" so don't worry how it looks. Maybe apply a couple colors? Let dry 24 hours.

#3 Seal with a lacquer based sealer, one coat, Sheridan Leather 888 803-3030 has Wyo-Sheen, (works very well) let sit 24 hours

#4 Apply antique paste, apply in streaks, circles, what ever! Leave as much on as you like once the effect is achieved. I have used a flat stick (paint stir stick) to wipe off some and leave some. Let it dry. Use a couple different grits of sand paper to get the worn look you are looking for.

#5 You can stop or experiment with adding another layer of sealer and antique, or just antique? Sand as you go for effect.

#6 Final seal with Wyo-sheen or Bag Kote, or Tan Kote or whatever your preferred sealer is.

I have found that if the antique paste left on is to thick, it may flake off so watch leaving to much!

It takes a while but this has worked for me. maybe someone has a short-cut to get the same results? :Lighten:

Rick

Edited by rickybobby

Smart alecks! ;)

I thought perhaps there was perhaps a way in the initial dying process to give it that 'worn/faded' look without having to actually to to wear the leather down.

Just thought I'd ask.

Well jeeze... I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck! :thinking: You asked how to make the look but didn't say you wanted a dying method. :(

I'm gonna go pull this knife out of my heart now........

Edited by Sylvia

Just to clear up some terminology so the confusion in regards to Sylvia's great response to the OP can be cleared up.

The picture you posted is of a belt that shows physical wear due to use. It's abraded, scuffed, faded, etc. Only way to achieve that is through use or one of the creative methods Sylvia outlined.

Based on your response, you're looking to faux distress with a dying method to achieve a similar look without actually harming the belt. Rickybobby gave a good process for this.

Just make sure to consider the responses you get before dismissing them...it could be that they are seriously answering the question asked, not the question intended.

Just to clear up some terminology so the confusion in regards to Sylvia's great response to the OP can be cleared up.

The picture you posted is of a belt that shows physical wear due to use. It's abraded, scuffed, faded, etc. Only way to achieve that is through use or one of the creative methods Sylvia outlined.

Based on your response, you're looking to faux distress with a dying method to achieve a similar look without actually harming the belt. Rickybobby gave a good process for this.

Just make sure to consider the responses you get before dismissing them...it could be that they are seriously answering the question asked, not the question intended.

Very well said Spinner. Thanks.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. "The devil is in the details." AND "Say what you mean,.... and mean what you say."

Rickybobby, Thanks for the insight--i'll try it.

I think pretty much anyone who wants to actually wear/distress leather would know to do that...drag it, wear it, bend and fold it, and beat it up. I *honestly* didn't think the question could be misconstrued from asking about creating something ("...create a belt..." ) to be understood as asking how to destroy or damage (show wear) something. And my response was in jest: hence the winky icon. However, your point, Spinner, is made; I have to be very precise with my lanuguage. Thanks everyone taking the time to respond. Edited by Starman

Rickybobby, Thanks for the insight--i'll try it.

I think pretty much anyone who wants to actually wear/distress leather would know to do that...drag it, wear it, bend and fold it, and beat it up. I *honestly* didn't think the question could be misconstrued from asking about creating something ("...create a belt..." ) to be understood as asking how to destroy or damage (show wear) something. And my response was in jest: hence the winky icon. However, your point, Spinner, is made; I have to be very precise with my lanuguage. Thanks everyone taking the time to respond.

Hey Star...I'm a pack rat hence I actually have old, worn looking leather around. I'm making myself (well was until I got up to my ears in business projects) a belt similar to that out of a used, braided English rein. Do you have to use new leather as long as the used leather is in good condition?