28ist

45 Degree Bevel

Can someone explain the best way to cut/bevel two pieces for joining at a corner? In wood working it's easy with a mitre saw or mitre box. But I'm not sure how to do this with leather. In one of Al Stohlman's books it has various patterns for making box like items with 45 degree joints but it doesn't say how to make the cuts.

I actually watched a method this morning. It involves a round knife and a "jig" made from wood. I'll get you the video if I can find it again. :)

Ok. It starts at about 8:30 of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItFR99yOzss&feature=relmfu

French edger is perfect for this. While you are learning how to do this, measure the thickness of the leather you wish to use. Draw a line on the backside a distance equal to the thickness. Lay the leather on heavy piece of glass or better, marble. Allow the edger to ride with one edge on the marble while the edge on the leather will be on the line you drew. The cut wants to feather to practically nothing . This will give you a 45 degree angle.

ferg

1346776422[/url]' post='263108']

Can someone explain the best way to cut/bevel two pieces for joining at a corner? In wood working it's easy with a mitre saw or mitre box. But I'm not sure how to do this with leather. In one of Al Stohlman's books it has various patterns for making box like items with 45 degree joints but it doesn't say how to make the cuts.

Sylivia...thanks for the video. I think something along these line will work for me.

HellfireJack...I've tried the french edger route but getting a nice 45 without some sort of template is beyond me, "a bit of practice" is an understatement. Leatherworking for me is a hobby and like most hobbies I just don't get to spend as much time as I'd like to.

Sylivia...thanks for the video. I think something along these line will work for me.

HellfireJack...I've tried the french edger route but getting a nice 45 without some sort of template is beyond me, "a bit of practice" is an understatement. Leatherworking for me is a hobby and like most hobbies I just don't get to spend as much time as I'd like to.

take 2 pieces of wood, clamp together, and cut at a 45*. Put the leather between them and re-join.Use a french edger and run along the edge.

pete

Pete's got the plan for straight lines. Easy deal like that. I used to make some cups and pockets for bottles ands needed to do rounds or half rounds too. I laid out a scribe line as a guide. It needs to be the thickness of the leather. Adjustable creasers or wing dividers work for that.

Use pete's method. On the top I use a metal yardstick and on the bottom an old wooden one. Like mentioned, leave the top back the thickness of the leather and "c" clamp together. Great little easy JIG.

Kevin

A drum sander works.

You can also use an adjustable V gouge.

Set it just a bit deeper than the thickness of your leather, . . .

put a scrap piece of leather underneath it, . . .

run against a straight edge, . . .

if it is sharp, it will give you the edge you want.

Personally, when making some boxes, I like to use the gouge and not quite go all the way through, . . .

Coat the gouge with contact cement, . . . when it dries, just fold it over, . . .

It makes a really nice looking box in my opinion.

May God bless.