Craftt

Maker Etiquette

what is the proper procedure for marking leather with a maker stamp? i was given one for christmas.

Craft-T

You are over thinking it. Just mark it if you are proud of it.

I am new to all this, don't even own a maker's mark, and have never sold anything that I have made from leather but I do have an opinion. When looking at pictures on this and other sites I often see some fine looking work "spoiled", in my eye, by a prominent makers mark right square out in the open. To my way of thinking, any maker's mark should be on a portion of the product that does not normally show. I do not mind it being there as long as I have to look for it, but I will not buy a "billboard". Other opinions will likely vary.

I've only started putting my mark on stuff recently as I'm now getting happier with the quality of my work.

I follow 2 simple rules:

1) I won't put my mark on a bad piece of work.

2) I usually put it somewhere on the back side of my products. The inner flap of a belt; back side (or even inside) a wallet.

This is not great for marketing & building up your brand I guess, but that's my personal preference. I wouldn't want my mark to be "in your face" on each product.

You can, of course, follow the current marketing trend for mass-produced goods & put your mark 10 times on each product in different sizes and fonts ;)

I agree with Chavez. I don't think it needs to be incorporated into the design, though I see that a lot. I prefer to make mine less conspicuous.

I don't always use my makers mark, I put it on belts right behind the chicago screws on the buckle end so that it is covered by the belt tounge whlle wearing the belt. On guitar, banjo, dobro, and mandolin straps I put it a little above the front attaching hole, not normally seen while attached. I started asking people if they wanted an item to bear a maker's mark, some didn't care, I had none say they didn't want it and several wanted it on the item because, "it showed the item as being custom made". I wouldn't put it on the front or back of a Bible Cover but I do put it on the flap in side at the back lower corner. I don't put it on wallets, because there is no where to put it unobtrusively, cell phone cases, etc I put it on the back. Just my $.02 worth.

Chief

My opinion is marks should be subtle and unobtuse, similar to signing a painting. Back or inside area is best, generally not visible without looking a little. I see a lot of work on here that is good looking work with a ugly blemish stairing at you when you see the pictures.

Aaron

Ford puts their logo dead center of the front of the grill, . . . so does GM, Chrysler, and Desoto used to.

As a product maker, I see no reason to do anything less. If a customer asks me not to, . . . that is one thing, . . . but I am proud of my work, . . . and I believe I have earned the right to "mark" my products.

Someone who has a problem with that, . . . wants a bland product, . . . they can tell me or shop elsewhere, . . . either way is not a real problem to me, . . . but to be critical of my personal work because I signed my work with my mark, . . . I would take that as an insult, . . . and would very likely keep the product and send them to someone else.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yes Dwight, I am with you totally on this one. I try to put my mark where I think it looks good on the piece, sometimes it's right there in your face, so to speak.

As we all know, I have been on a handbag/purse making binge of late. All the "BIG" names in handbag/purses put there "Logo" in some cases all over their product. Look at Louis Vuitton, Coach, Dolce Gabanna and a number of others, and these guys sell them for thousands of dollars, and people buy them because the "Makers Logo" is right there....everywhere...all over the place.

I am first, an "Artist" secondly a "Leather Worker" when I join the two together, I become a "Leather Artist", and all good artists sign their work....Simple as that...

Ford puts their logo dead center of the front of the grill, . . . so does GM, Chrysler, and Desoto used to.

As a product maker, I see no reason to do anything less. If a customer asks me not to, . . . that is one thing, . . . but I am proud of my work, . . . and I believe I have earned the right to "mark" my products.

Someone who has a problem with that, . . . wants a bland product, . . . they can tell me or shop elsewhere, . . . either way is not a real problem to me, . . . but to be critical of my personal work because I signed my work with my mark, . . . I would take that as an insult, . . . and would very likely keep the product and send them to someone else.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight,

I find it odd that you seem to think your work is bland short of your mark. You do good work, quality and artistic ability stand on thier own. The question was not if you should not mark your work (you should), but if it should be subtle or obtuse (at least that is what I understand it is).

I guess the subtle verses obtuse thing is like a fine painting verses grafiti. Thomas Kincaid signs his paintings in the corner, taggers sign their work boldly across the middle.

electrathon,

So would that make Louis Vuitton, Dolce Gabanna and Coach "Taggers"? The question was "what is the proper procedure for marking leather with a maker stamp?"

In my opinion, it should be where the "Maker" feels it looks best, and will be visible so as people will know who made it. I for one, want people to be able to see I was the one that made the item, not have it hidden away somewhere where it can't be found.

I guess it's another one of those things "To Each His/Hers Own"....

Yes Dwight, I am with you totally on this one. I try to put my mark where I think it looks good on the piece, sometimes it's right there in your face, so to speak.

As we all know, I have been on a handbag/purse making binge of late. All the "BIG" names in handbag/purses put there "Logo" in some cases all over their product. Look at Louis Vuitton, Coach, Dolce Gabanna and a number of others, and these guys sell them for thousands of dollars, and people buy them because the "Makers Logo" is right there....everywhere...all over the place.

I am first, an "Artist" secondly a "Leather Worker" when I join the two together, I become a "Leather Artist", and all good artists sign their work....Simple as that...

I'll have to think of this for a bit. I have always felt that we signed our work similar to signing art. Maybe we are not making art but rather luggage. Luggage is not signed, but identified with a logo. Kind of sad thinking of it this way.

Aaron

electrathon,

So would that make Louis Vuitton, Dolce Gabanna and Coach "Taggers"? The question was "what is the proper procedure for marking leather with a maker stamp?"

Definatly YES! We have had many threads on here about the crappy quality of designer purses. People are not buying quality, but are buying a name. If my work did not excede the quality of mass factory goods I would see no rerason for doing it.

I did interpet the intent of the question a little bit. It proper answer to the question is, "Dampen the leather and hit your mark with a mallet". I don't think that was what he was asking though.

Dwight,

I find it odd that you seem to think your work is bland short of your mark. You do good work, quality and artistic ability stand on thier own. The question was not if you should not mark your work (you should), but if it should be subtle or obtuse (at least that is what I understand it is).

I guess the subtle verses obtuse thing is like a fine painting verses grafiti. Thomas Kincaid signs his paintings in the corner, taggers sign their work boldly across the middle.

I guess I just did not take the question as subtle verses obtuse, . . . but rather to mark or not to mark, visibly.

My mark is three crosses on a hill, . . . it speaks volumes about me, about my life, about how I try to do my work, and hopefully, . . . my name with it, allows folks to associate me with the crosses and the work with me.

The only time I don't mark a piece is when I am asked not to (very rare) or if I forget, . . . which is all too often. I think it has something to do with being 68 or so.

Anyway, . . . that is my line of reasoning, . . . FWIW, . . . and I don't mean to begrudge anyone else their line, . . . after all, . . . it is their product.

May God less,

Dwight

People are not buying quality, but are buying a name.

By putting my mark on my pieces, I hope that as time goes on, people will know by seeing my mark, that they are not only buying quality, but also the name.

Yes, mass produced products generally display a manufacturer's/re-labeler's name. Highly regarded art work/craftsmanship is easily recognized by the work itself and needs no label. The mark of an unknown maker (or one who is not widely known), unless extremely attractively done, is very likely to devalue the product in the end for some consumers. If you are selling more product because your name is on it, I am not one of your customers and it is likely of as little concern to you as it is to me. If you feel that your name adds value to the product then by all means stamp it front and center, otherwise you might consider that stamp as a potential "deal killer". It is much your choice to stamp as it is mine to choose. I would never advise anyone to base there decision on my opinion, I simply felt strongly enough on this subject to state my thoughts.

For me it really depends on the item, if it's a custom piece for someone known to me then no mark.

However if t is to be sold to whom ever then some place unobtrusive there will be my mark (or initials), the only time I really make sure it is visible is if I've been asked to donate some thing (usually a tobacco pouch/bag or two), then it's front and centre and VERY visible.

I mark all of my stuff. But it's a smaller stamp. Right now i put it the front down at the bottom of the handle, most of what i make are adult toys. But i have seen several makers of holsters ruin their work by getting the biggest stamp made i'm talking about stamps that are 2 plus inches across and just about that tall then they stamp a design around that right in the center on the front of a holster. To me it makes the work look cheap and gaudey enough i wouldn't buy it. Saying all of that i like makers stamps on stuff i buy if it's a handmade piece. JMO

I usually forget to mark mine so maybe I shouldn't comment :) It's not that I'm not proud of my work, it's just I'm forgetful. When I do mark it usually it's in a place unintentionally that ends up getting covered up, like on a guitar strap, I'll mark the back end then when I put the adjustment straps on you can't see it. I just have the strap process down in a certain order in my head, and I've never quite incorporated that in the order that things are made. So mine is haphazard at best.

I'm in the process of doing a bookmark for a friend that I KNOW wanted it marked, yet I was so intent on getting the color right I forgot my stamp. Now I'm going to hear about it because I forgot :) Oh well, I don't mind seeing it on things I look at here but don't think I'd like a 2" stamp front and center....would depend on the stamp I guess. Cheryl

Where I put my mark depends on the piece. On some small things like wallets or belts I put the small maker stamp on the back. Briefcases - larger one on the back. On rope bags I put the large stamp on the top of the pocket flap mostly. On rope cans only have the front. I use either stamp and sometimes put it into the border pattern especially on full tooled. On stamped ones I usually go low in the pattern. Sometimes on my can straps I skip the maker stamp and tool my website name in small subtle lettering.

post-29-0-29579700-1355624088_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-60876800-1355624090_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-84860500-1355624092_thumb.jpg

Bruce,

Your work is a perfect example of what I was trying to say. Your work is stunning, your mark is subtle. You have signed your art like an artist, as oposed to adding a logo to mass produced luggage.

Aaron

My view/2 cents in general is that:

If you're a brand (Ford, LV, etc), then the makers mark can be "in your face". This feels more like a type product line item with small changes from one item to the next.

If you concider yourself to be an artist, then the mark should be more suttle, you don't want to destroy your artwork right?...Picasso did not incorporate his signature into his artwork, it's just a suttle signature in the corner :dance:

I think it would really depend on the individual piece. I wouldn't change up a carving or stamping pattern just to incorperate a maker's mark. When that is the case, I'll put the mark on the back.. On some things the isn't a place for it, or you'd have to add a piece of vegtan where it shouldn't be just to place a stamp there...like on things that don't use veg tan for the product. For example, i recently made a small 'doctor's bag' to the doc's specifications. There really wasn't anywhere to put my mark so I incorporated into a zipper pull. He never mentioned the use, or not, of the stamp; but I felt that the design would have been lessened by making it a billboard for my stamp...so I made it ancillary to the design.

On holsters and sheaths, I usually place the stamp centered on the back of the piece, or in a corner if there's a pattern. On belts, it's between the screws / snaps for the keeper.

If You're trying to get you 'brand' recognized, keep in mind that stamps can be copied pretty easily...craftsmanship, not so much. Though i do admit that i wouldn't mind having popular enough items that someone felt the need to counterfeit them.

This is an interesting discussion. I feel like the maker's mark adds to the finished, professional look of a piece. I actually agree with both Electrathon's side and Beaverslayer's side on this one. Garish detracts, subtle adds. However, on my tooled purse I made for my mom I left it unmarked. She told me this was unacceptable! In fact, she begged, pleaded and literally whined in joking way to get me to put my mark on it. So mom get what's she wants and my mark is on the strap of her purse. So is this garish? Does it detract from the the overall product? You tell me...

2B86DCE3-3845-452A-8641-625A9F8EFBF9-32944-00001086D447FF44_zpsf8fc6e25.jpg

This is an interesting discussion. I feel like the maker's mark adds to the finished, professional look of a piece. I actually agree with both Electrathon's side and Beaverslayer's side on this one. Garish detracts, subtle adds. However, on my tooled purse I made for my mom I left it unmarked. She told me this was unacceptable! In fact, she begged, pleaded and literally whined in joking way to get me to put my mark on it. So mom get what's she wants and my mark is on the strap of her purse. So is this garish? Does it detract from the the overall product? You tell me...

My opinion is that you are standing on a line here. If the mark in the above image was on a belt I personally would never wear it. You made it for your Mom, she wanted it to be in your face, my Son made this for me. If I was going to mark it I would have moved the mark to the area near the buckle so that it was covered normally but would be spotted when a close look was taken.

Aaron