Froghunter

Guitar Pick Guard

I was asked to make a leather pick guard for a friend and I got a chance to throw one together today. The only direction I was given was that he wanted something with an oriental flair. I think the Koi is perfect.

I took the original plastic guard and laminated some 1oz calfskin on it then tooled it up. I haven't had a chance to dye and finish it yet, maybe tomorrow after work, but here it is, let me know what you think.

pick_guard_tooled1_copy.jpg

pick_guard_tooled2_copy.jpg

post-5734-1219453470_thumb.jpg

post-5734-1219453482_thumb.jpg

Wicked awesome!

Frog,

That is awesome, I think that is one of the best pieces, if not the best, of yours that I have seen!

wow I love it nice work.

Josh

What^they^ said!!

That is one nice pick gaurd!!

I think your friend will be extremely pleased.

no orential skull???

Johnny

Thanks! I like the way it turned out too! Hopefully the dye job will do it justice!

No Colman, no skulls, he didn't want any, I tried....but alas...no joy!

That's gorgeous! I have a biker friend who's a guitarist and has a koi tattoo -- he was going to have my husband airbrush a helmet for him, but changed his mind. I'd better not let him see this, or I'm going to be volunteered for another project! (Except I'm totally showing him this.)

I'm impressed with the design and how well it looks. I'm a huge fan of Japanese style art and their tattoos. I'm blown away by the death and detail of the tooling on freakin 1oz. leather. Blown away i tell ya. Nice Job !!!!

**turns to the rest of the forums** Hey did you see that ? And that's on 1oz. leather ? Yeah, 1oz. ... Yeah, i know , it freakin rocks, rite !!

I'm impressed with the design and how well it looks. I'm a huge fan of Japanese style art and their tattoos. I'm blown away by the death and detail of the tooling on freakin 1oz. leather. Blown away i tell ya. Nice Job !!!!

**turns to the rest of the forums** Hey did you see that ? And that's on 1oz. leather ? Yeah, 1oz. ... Yeah, i know , it freakin rocks, rite !!

I am blown away by the "death" of it also!!! :head_hurts_kr: Sorry could resist, I am just giving crap Freak!! It is great work!!

Frog,

Absolutely beautiful. I like the way you let the design be interrupted by the pickups and such. If this isn't your best work, it is close. What are the dye/stain plans?

David Theobald

Edited by David

+1

That is some FINE looking work.

Very very cool. I, too, like the way it runs through the slots and how you went minimalist with the use of space. I would have tried to put more in there and probably cluttered it all up. You did a great job. And on 1 oz leather too. Very impressive.

Can't wait to seeit colored.. really nice.

OK, here is the finished piece...... BUT, I put a micrometer on the calfskin and I was wrong, it is 1.5 oz. Sorry, please don't be mad! :surrender:

The finish is Eco-Flo Range Tan with a coat of Super Sheen, then Eco-Flo Med Brown Antique Gel finished off with a couple of hand rubbed coats of good ol neet lac to keep it safe!

Koi_pic_guard_1.jpg

Koi_pic_guard_2.jpg

Koi_pic_guard_close.jpg

post-5734-1219527807_thumb.jpg

post-5734-1219527815_thumb.jpg

post-5734-1219527825_thumb.jpg

That turned out awesome Frog, I think this is probably your best piece to date (well that I have seen)!! Congrats Man that ROCKS!!!

A piece that looks that good better be going on a guitar and to a player worthy of such fine craftsmanship!!!

That looks great.

What color is the guitar?

Do you glue it on or just screw it on?

ArtS

Folks, I saw this one in person this morning and it's GORGEOUS.

What Froghunter neglected to say is that he did that in about 5 hours.

(Froggy, I'll come by for that $20 later this week.) B)

Edited by tashabear

Froggy,

Bro, first off, very cool work.... if I owned an ax... I would love that to adorn it...

Secondly..... My bro brought me his bass a few months ago so i could replace the internal electronics... everything, the pickups, the rheostats, the jack, everything, and putty up the old holes in the wood and drill new ones to fit a new pick guard he brought. I still have it sitting here because I have been waiting for a part since he dropped it off... but... me being a leather freak, I offered to do some leather work for it... and he promptly turned me down reasoning that he has "burned" himself on the finish when playing, and figured that leather would have more friction than the smooth finish and pick guard and would cause worse burns.... makes sence...

Have you gotten to talk to you buddy about the pick guard? Would you ask him about this for me please. This is going onto a rhythm guitar, not a bass right? I dont think there would be much difference but I dont play either so i would not know.

I see you pre made the holes for the screws, are you going to use conventional flush mount screws to mount this? or something different?

Thanks bro.

Edited by wolvenstien

That looks great.

What color is the guitar?

Do you glue it on or just screw it on?

ArtS

Art, I have NO idea what color the guitar is! We talked, he said go for it, I did.....Hopefully it will look good! :helpsmilie:

The leather is actually laminated to the original pickguard, so it will attach with the original screws. I'll post pictures of theguitar next week after delivery.

Edited by Froghunter

Froggy,

Bro, first off, very cool work.... if I owned an ax... I would love that to adorn it...

Secondly..... My bro brought me his bass a few months ago so i could replace the internal electronics... everything, the pickups, the rheostats, the jack, everything, and putty up the old holes in the wood and drill new ones to fit a new pick guard he brought. I still have it sitting here because I have been waiting for a part since he dropped it off... but... me being a leather freak, I offered to do some leather work for it... and he promptly turned me down reasoning that he has "burned" himself on the finish when playing, and figured that leather would have more friction than the smooth finish and pick guard and would cause worse burns.... makes sence...

Have you gotten to talk to you buddy about the pick guard? Would you ask him about this for me please. This is going onto a rhythm guitar, not a bass right? I dont think there would be much difference but I dont play either so i would not know.

I see you pre made the holes for the screws, are you going to use conventional flush mount screws to mount this? or something different?

Thanks bro.

Hmmmm, no clue. I have been playing for years and never had a "burn" from the finish. I guess it would depend on the players style. I'll ask him, and let ya know!

I guess if that was a real concern, you could coat it with a clear fill epoxy to make it smooth....just a thought. I've done that with carved leather floor tiles to keep them for getting worn, might work.....

i really like that! looks like you got some pretty good depth out of the thin leather.

:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::notworthy:

I was asked to make a leather pick guard for a friend and I got a chance to throw one together today. The only direction I was given was that he wanted something with an oriental flair. I think the Koi is perfect.

I took the original plastic guard and laminated some 1oz calfskin on it then tooled it up. I haven't had a chance to dye and finish it yet, maybe tomorrow after work, but here it is, let me know what you think.

Very nice, I like it.

Never gave much thought to a leather pick guard, but I instantly thought about making one when I saw this...nice!

Cheers,

TT

all looks great..i especially like the blue in the eyes really makes them pop. since its not the right thickness..perhaps try to find an unusable guitar, put it on that one and display it in store would be a REAAL eye catcher