I have a holster that got a really messed up dye problem after I put the Resolene on and the only way to salvage it is to dunk it in Vinegaroon.

What is the best way to get rid of the Resolene so I can dye this thing black?

I've used denatured alcohol to strip it off when it acts funny. I've had to strip and re-seal a couple. The question is, can you get enough off to get the groon to take well? Good luck.

I'll just jump in here for a moment to bump this back up, . . . as I have been using Resolene for 5 or 6 years, . . . never have found a way I really like to remove it.

That's good and bad, . . . bad for us, . . . but good for the customer. If we can't get it off, . . . they shouldn't be able to eaither.

Anyway, . . . I'm interested, . . . hope someone chimes in with a good answer, . . . if one exists.

May God bless,

Dwight

Resolene has an ammonia smell to it... Some kind of ammonia based cleaning solution? Might be worth trying something on scrap if you can find something suitable?

I second denatured alcohol. Put a liberal amount on a rag in a well ventilated area and wipe the finish off. It comes off real slimey and goobery like but just switch to a clean spot on the rag.

Acetone will strip it off, but the holster will never be the same.

Acetone will strip it off, but the holster will never be the same.

What do you mean by that?

What do you mean by that?

I mean the acrylic has penetrated the leather, and any attempt to strip it will be removing it from the surface only. You can get it off, but re-dying likely wont be even, and re-sealing will be isolated mostly to the surface. At least, this is my experience in this realm, your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the help. I tried denatured alcohol and it did nothing. Then I tried Acetone. That removed stuff. I cleaned as much of the outside as I could, then soaked the holster in vinegaroon. There are some spots on the back that aren't black, so I will try to darken those. The holster is still quite stiff, but the inside is a nice black color.

I'm not sure what will happen when I try to apply the final finish of Resolene.

Edited by steelhawk

What is vinegaroon?

Hey guys! I'm not a pro leatherworker but I do some experiments with leather.
After trying almost everything I got some results with acetone, it works fine. However, you have to use a lot of it in order to get the best result. You'll have to dye it again after that, it's impossible to remove resolene without removing the stain. Take a look at the picture to see my results
In the left, you can see the resolene removed and the right a brushed resolene. I tried to brush it to get something less shinny.

DSC09018 copy.JPG

That might be a valid question for something with hours and hours of labor in it.  For something simple as a holster, pitch it and replace it.