I searched threads and did't come up with this subject, so I'll go ahead and put it out there. Has anyone used a scroll saw to cut leather? If so, what blade is being used. Not being lazy, but getting tired of carpal tunnel keeping me awake at night and looking for alternatives. And yes, I am aware that there is surgery for this.

Shooter

Some so called carpal tunnel is actually nerve problems starting in the shoulder. I know people that have had the surgery a couple times, with no relief. There are clinics that can evaluate the causes and provide exercise and relief for those that are not truly carpal tunnel.

Many repetitive strain injuries can be helped with proper exercise, and for those that aren't suffering from RSI yet, do some research to find the exercises and prevention methods to keep your arms and hands healthy.

Tom

shooter55,

Try taking vitamin B12. Weird I know, it works.

ferg

I have thought about this too...I even have a scroll saw from doing marquetry. Just haven't tried it yet. :dunno:

I have used a scroll saw, . . . and quite honestly, . . . I did not like the results.

The blade's up and down motion would put little grubby marks on the edge of the leather, . . . plus the edge was uneven, . . . just UGH !

HOWEVER, . . . I recently bought one of those $99, . . . table top, . . . 12 inch band saws. It is not the "cats meow", . . . but it is a ton faster for my everyday holster work than even thinking of doing it with a knife.

It only has about a 1/4 inch wide blade on it, . . . and it IS FAST.

Hope this helps, . . . may God bless,

Dwight

I just bought a used scroll saw for cutting leather and filagree work in leather.

The more teeth the better, I'm using 20tpi and it cuts well.

What you really need is a 0 insert because there's too much space around the blade for cutting leather.

I made one with molding plastic and it did the trick.

I have a bandsaw as well but the scroll saw is a good addition.

Kevin.

Interesting thread. As soon as I build a table for it, I'm going to unbox my scroll saw. That spiral blade looks interesting too.

I would think that the spiral blade would really tear up the leather edges or make them fuzzy...the comment about a band saw sounds better in that the blade is going in a downward direction only.

I am curious about the spiral blades too. When I saw the thread title my first thought was what blade, then thought of spiral. I belt sand leather all the time and it works well. Not much differant than spiral blades and you could get into tight areas too.

Aaron

The spiral blade is for cutting a radius in tight places, I don't see a purpose for them in cutting leather and I agree that they would most likely tear the leather up worse than a conventional blade.

My thought is to try it on filigree. Maybe some curves, as the need arises. I think $5 or so for the spiral blade is easy to swallow.

My saw has an attachment much like a pressure foot it is just too high. If an extention could be made I would think that the foot holding down the leather and a 40 or 48 tpi blade should do the trick. I'm going to work on that.