keplerts

How Is This Done?

Does anyone have any ideas as to how these letters were done? Were they cut with a swivel knife and then beveled? It doesn't really look like a beveler to me. It almost looks like it was done with some sort of chisel. If a beveler was used, what kind/type? I like the clear and crisp look of it. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

post-35680-0-61738400-1377579447_thumb.j

Crisp and clear? Do you need glasses?

As a matter of fact I DO need glasses! :) The pic isn't very good. Maybe what I meant was the bevel looks very steep with an obvious stop at the bottom. What beveler would make this type of bevel? Would it have a very sharp toe? The is no way may beveler would duplicate this. (Granted, I'm using the Tandy beveler from one of their kits). So, if it is beveled, how do you make it such a steep angled bevel?

Thanks,

Tom

Looks like it was cut and beveled with the beveller tilted on the toe.

Barry King and other Sheridan bevellers are steeper and easier to bevel neatly with than what the Tandy kit tools and current Tandy standard tools are. Good tools do make a difference.

Tom

Definitely beveled with a "Sheridan" beveler. The Sheridan bevelers have a much steeper pitch on them, creating less of a "halo" around the work which allows you to get into tighter spots with them.

Thanks for the replies! Is a "Sheridan" beveler a "brand" of beveler or a "style" of beveler? And, where can I get these "Sheridan" bevelers? I noticed SLC has some "Sheridan" bevelers that are black. Are these what you are talking about? Again, thanks for everyones replies.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Barry King Tools would be who I recommend: http://www.barrykingtools.com/ That's primarily what I use. The SLC tools are very similar and I hear are good, but I don't have experience with them. Tandy also has some Sheridan style tools now with their Pro tool line, but they seem a little overpriced when compared to Barry King.

Bob

It was indeed done with a Sheridan style beveler as it is very steep. However, to get a cleaner, crisper looking beveled edge on any pattern, you can get this result by cutting the lines in a different manner. We have all been taught that the proper cut of the lines should be 1/3 to 1/2 the thickness of the leather and that has been true for a very long time. However, once you have the leather properly cased, and I mean properly cased not just sponged to wetness, once the leather starts to return to the original color, all you need to do is cut the lines a little less deep than you would normally. Still bevel with the same force as you normally wood and will achieve the proper depth but the lines will be so much cleaner and more prominent.

I tried it myself not too long ago and struggled with the idea as I had been taught that you cut to the half thickness of the leather, period. That was over 40 years ago. But I have to admit that the beveled edges are much cleaner and stand out much more against the rest of pattern which makes a beautiful finished product. I have always cut and beveled all of my lettering and I actually use a very large beveler because it has a steeper face but the width helps to achieve the more consistent look. Give the other method a try though and see how it works for you, you might be pleasantly surprised.