ItsJustNC

Cake Beater Burnisher..?!

So this idea started off when my girlfriend was about to chuck a beat up old cake beater away, and i was in the midst of making a strap for a bag. I was hoping to make an electric burnisher by using as little effort as possible, and for as cheap as possible.

image.jpg

And after working together with Tree Reaper in a postthat i made earlier on, this is the end result.! It not only burnishes but sands down the edges too. The burnishing demostrated took roughly 3 minutes.?

IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

Just wanted to show an alternative of an electric burnisher that doesn't involve buying a dremal or a motor. Hope this is of help to you guys out there looking to make/get one..!

Edited by ItsJustNC

I'm glad that does what you wanted it to.

It's always nice when things work out.

Interesting. A do-it-yourself way to do that would be:

- get a tool w/ a wooden handle

- cut off the tool part

- mount it, then shape the wood w/ files and sand paper

well done, goog idea, how did you center the burnisher?

That's a great idea. I like it.

What a cool idea. Cheryl

Nice....you certainly make use of what you have.. You even got a sander. The edges look good, you should try to dye them brown and then burnish so we can see a nice dark edge. Thanks!

Ralph

Hi Needles;

how did you center the burnisher?

I used a center finder, drilled the hole with a drill press and then trued it up on the outside with a jig and sand paper.

The only real problem is the burnishers are wood and they are warped so that's where the work comes in on something like that.

Kevin.

thanks Kevin, whats a center finder?

That is a great idea but..Does this mean she quit baking cakes..

A center finder locates the center of the burnisher in order to drill the hole for the shaft.

http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Larson-800-2875-Plastic-Center/dp/B000CD1T0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384129994&sr=8-1&keywords=center+finder

That's great Itch, who can live without cake?!?

The cookie mix is now worked with a spoon but on the plus side, the cookies have a nice burnished edge.

I'm glad that does what you wanted it to.

It's always nice when things work out.

Yup..! Really am glad with how well it works.! And the torque is surprisingly high..! I'm guessing the thickness of cake batter needs a motor with significantly high torque, which works out great for us leathercrafters.!

Interesting. A do-it-yourself way to do that would be:

- get a tool w/ a wooden handle

- cut off the tool part

- mount it, then shape the wood w/ files and sand paper

Haha.! I decided to use that burnisher because i happened to have one lying around, and where i'm from, power tools aren't easily accessible/affordable.. But your suggestion would work too.! A nice cocobolo one would be awesome...!

Nice....you certainly make use of what you have.. You even got a sander. The edges look good, you should try to dye them brown and then burnish so we can see a nice dark edge. Thanks!

Ralph

I've actually done better edges with this thing before.! The one shown was done as a quick demo. Once i'm done making my next batch of fountain pen cases, i'll post some pictures to show what a wicked burnish this budget bad boy can do. Haha.!

Oh hell no.! I'd much rather hand burnish for life than quit eating her cakes.! HAHA.!

Awesome idea! I think I have an extra blender somewhere. Might have to give this a try!

The cookie mix is now worked with a spoon but on the plus side, the cookies have a nice burnished edge.

^^^ I about spit coffee everywhere

Ralph

Like promised, here are the better burnishes I've churned out with this burnisher..! Just a simple process of sanding, burnishing with water, and waxing with some homemade burnishing cakes and canvas.

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

Very nice!

I put my burnishing tool into my drill press but there have been times when just the thought of having to stand there in the cold or heat of the garage to burnish something is almost unbearable. I like this idea.... I wonder if a stand mixer such as Kitchen aid with the front port would work as well as your hand mixer one.

I do have one question though... when you "cake beater" your edges... what speed works best?

A lot of folks but burnisher accessories to put in drill presses, etc. For about the same price you can have a purpose built burnisher to fit an old electric motor many have lying aroundIt could be mounted out in the shop or on a board to make portable like the mixer/beater idea. Thats the way to keep the old noodle working and remain frugle too!.

A question to the OP, sorry to be off topic but what is the color of the piece you posted? tannery dyed or did you do it? I'm not sure if its the lighting or what but, I like the hue of it, a lot!!

Bro Timothyburnisher_zpsc692f441.jpg

Edited by Hillbilly tim

Very nice!

Thanks...! I'm really satisfied with how well it works out...! Cuts down the time it takes for a burnish significantly..! And it doesn't seem to be compromising on the quality of the burnish. At least from what i can see..

I put my burnishing tool into my drill press but there have been times when just the thought of having to stand there in the cold or heat of the garage to burnish something is almost unbearable. I like this idea.... I wonder if a stand mixer such as Kitchen aid with the front port would work as well as your hand mixer one.

I do have one question though... when you "cake beater" your edges... what speed works best?

Er.... Whisk mode...? Hahaha..! I just crank it up to the highest or 2nd highest, but i'll keep a closer eye on it not to "over burnish" the edges. You'll be able to get a burnish with all the speeds from what i've seen, just a matter of how fast. Over burnishing makes it look a little crackled and darker. Or charred if you will.

A lot of folks but burnisher accessories to put in drill presses, etc. For about the same price you can have a purpose built burnisher to fit an old electric motor many have lying aroundIt could be mounted out in the shop or on a board to make portable like the mixer/beater idea. Thats the way to keep the old noodle working and remain frugle too!.

A question to the OP, sorry to be off topic but what is the color of the piece you posted? tannery dyed or did you do it? I'm not sure if its the lighting or what but, I like the hue of it, a lot!!

Bro Timothyburnisher_zpsc692f441.jpg

Haha.! No worries...! It's actually hand dyed. Fiebings spirit based Red. I like the cloudy effect of hand dyed leather more. I find drum or dip dyes a little too homogenous. And hand dyeing doesn't seem to bleed or rub off for me.