cdthayer

Adding A Speed Reducer To A Flatbed

I am new here. I have a Singer 236 W 100 (post) that I bought from Red Wing Shoes, It has an elko multi phase motor and I rewired it to plug into our dryer plug in. It is very cumbersome to do so. Can I purchase a servo motor for this? If so I could move it inside to the workroom. I also have a econosew 2060E walking foot with a clutch motor and would like to reduce the speed on this. I am new to these machines and have been having trouble finding out how to oil them and clean the older singer up. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I am new here. I have a Singer 236 W 100 (post) that I bought from Red Wing Shoes, It has an elko multi phase motor and I rewired it to plug into our dryer plug in. It is very cumbersome to do so. Can I purchase a servo motor for this? If so I could move it inside to the workroom. I also have a econosew 2060E walking foot with a clutch motor and would like to reduce the speed on this. I am new to these machines and have been having trouble finding out how to oil them and clean the older singer up. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Your simplest option is to replace the pulley on the clutch motor with a smaller diameter type 3L pulley and a shorter v-belt to match the difference. The change from a 3" to a 2" pulley is 33% reduction in top speed. The larger the existing pulley, the greater the decrease will be with a 2" pulley. Measure the diameter of the motor shaft first to ensure that you buy the correct bore in the new pulley. If the existing shaft has a positioning key, make sure the new pulley is keyed as well.

Sewing machine pulleys and belts are sold by all industrial sewing machine dealers I have ever heard of.

Edited by Wizcrafts

As far as I know the "footprint" for mounting an industrial sewing machine motor is fairly standard (at least for every one that I've seen), i.e. 3 bolts in a triangular shape. If you have this configuration then a servo motor should be a straight swap, although you may need a different size belt too.

This is the link to the manual for the Singer - http://www.manualslib.com/manual/522893/Singer-236w.html - should help with the oiling.