corter

A Few New Wallets (Experimental Leathers)

Hey guys and gals! Here are a few new wallets I've made recently.

I've been experimenting with some non-traditional leathers. The first is a camo printed veg tan. The camo print is a film that's applied on grade A veg, so it's pretty normal to work with.

13042062105_0f310b9686_z.jpg

13042079545_7d540da809_z.jpg

The next is pretty standard, Horween football print. This leather is crazy because it gets grippier as it gets warmer (they use this stuff in the NFL, just with tiny logos printed in it). We were at the tannery watching them make it, pretty wild!

13042065925_c312f4a6f4_z.jpg

This is some latigo that I had custom made in an indigo color. I do some indigo dying, and they were able to get the color a perfect hue of blue/green that looks exactly like freshly oxidized indigo.

13042422884_e5a426e746_z.jpg

The last isn't experimental, it's just Horween's #8 Chromexcel paired with Wickett & Craig Russet Harness. This is probably my current favorite combo, especially with the front pocket detail I've started incorporating.

13042191273_68b618e06c_z.jpg

Edited by corter

Very nice!! I like them!!

Chris

Interesting. Do their football leather come in different colors? I have a hide and it's more reddish. Similar to the color of a football. Yours is a lot darker brown.

Andrew

Sweet! I especially like the indigo color and leather. It looks awesome. The football style leather is sweet, too, and I'm not even into football.

The football leather and indigo dyed are both amazing!

corter

You didn't ask for a critique but….

You have done a nice job with one caveat.

The "Wrap" stitch on your corners is a high wear spot. The thread will wear through in a short time.

Did you burnish the edges? Couldn't tell in your photos.

ferg

Wish I could get some of that football leather...

Thanks all! LTC- I believe Maverick Leather has some in stock :)

Thanks for the crit 50 years, the edges are burnished and coated on these wallets.

Regarding the wrap stitch, I'd have to disagree with you on that one. I use a 4 cord waxed poly thread, and the wrap over stitch lets the bill slot keeps it's shape over time. I've never had a report of a broken stitch and I've been doing that wrap stitch for 7 years now. With a linen thread or machine-weight poly I'd agree with you though!

Nice work! How did you get to tour the tannery? I live a couple mile from it and would love to check it out.

thanks, corter. I'll check them out after next payday.

Nice job !!!

What leather did you use for the belt ??

Like to see a close up of the belt, esp. buckle end.

People like to see how it's constructed.

Keep up the good work.

PS: what tannery did you get your leather from ???

Nice work! How did you get to tour the tannery? I live a couple mile from it and would love to check it out.

I just let my rep know I was going to be in town and he invited me, he took me around the whole tannery. It was super fun, Horween is interesting because it's basically been added on ton a bunch of times over the years and is a real maze of floors and stuff. Plus, getting to see how shell cordovan is made was really quite amazing

Edited by corter

By "Rep" do you mean from Horween? How much leather do you purchase at a time? I called and emailed Horween's sales reps inquiring about buying direct and no one ever got back to me. I figured that they only deal with large manufacturers. It would be so much more convenient and enjoyable to get it straight from the tannery considering that Its so close by.

By "Rep" do you mean from Horween? How much leather do you purchase at a time? I called and emailed Horween's sales reps inquiring about buying direct and no one ever got back to me. I figured that they only deal with large manufacturers. It would be so much more convenient and enjoyable to get it straight from the tannery considering that Its so close by.

Yep, from Horween. I usually buy a couple hundred sq. ft. at a time, if you want less I think they have a website called tannery row for single hide purchases.

That being said, I've stopped using them as much because of the issue you have. It sometimes takes me 2-3 months of persistence to get through to my rep and another month or 2 for an order to get shipped.

Andrew- I do a light hand burnishing with gum trag, they'll burnish naturally beyond that as the wallet gets used.

The camo printed leather is awesome! Beautiful work!

Looks about like the ones splashed all over Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/170838098/handcrafted-realtree-camo-leather-bifold?ref=shop_home_feat_4

He's likely not makin much money per piece, but I suppose it all works out if you sell 700 of 'em :) Not a great labor investment, so he's prolly happy.

lovely work ! where did you get the camo leather ? i love it and want some !