OurJud

Sewing Headache

I hope I can explain what it is I want to do here, because for the life of me I can't figure out how it might be acheived.

Take two pieces of leather, slightly bigger than a credit card. I now want to attach these two pieces of leather together by bridging three sides (two sides and the bottom) with strips of elastic.

Imagine you now have two pieces of leather attached only by these three strips of elastic, that allow the wallet to expand as you insert more and more credit cards. Look at the wallet as a concertina and you're almost there.

Now, stitching the runs of elastic to each of the three edges on one piece of the leather isn't a problem, but how would I then do the same with the second piece of leather? Whether by machine or hand, how would I possibly get to the parts I need to stitch?

Here's a crude sketch of one piece of leather with the elastic stitched in place. How on earth would I now stitch those exposed ends of elastic to the other piece of leather to form the card wallet?

stitchprob.jpg

post-49994-0-70663300-1394584298_thumb.j

sew the bottom completely like you want it. saddle stitch both edges of a side at the same time, repeat for the other side maybe?

sew the bottom completely like you want it. saddle stitch both edges of a side at the same time, repeat for the other side maybe?

But if I do that I won't have the expansion element because the elastic will be stitched together.

Maybe I didn't explain properly.

Imagine I'd managed to do what I wanted, I would be able to take one side of leather in one hand, and the other in my other hand, and pull them apart (as far as the elastic would allow).

Edited by OurJud

Here's a question, why not make the leather slightly larger to accommodate stitching (or lacing) the elastic, and flip the edges of the elastic from inside to outside(flush with the leather edge). So you would have the leather edges and elastic edges both exposed(why I suggested lacing). It would allow stitching or lacing without having to actually do it within the confines of the card holder interior. If my explanation is unclear just say so and I will try to clarify.

One other thing to note, most elastic is designed to stretch lengthwise, not width wise so be careful as to what you choose to use.

actually, after you sew the bottom, saddle stitch the elastic and the leather of one edge a couple stitches, then go to the other edge same side and stitch it up a few stitches, keep alternating. your elastic will still be stretchy in between. do the same doe the other side. I should have explain previously in more detail, sorry

Sorry, Stephen, I was with you up to a point. I just don't see how your soloution would mean I didn;t have to stitch inside the confines of the wallet interior.

Sturme, I understand a bit better now. I was forgetting that sttiching the elastic to the bottom of the other piece would be easy enough, but I still think stitching the way you suggest would be incredibly difficult.

Maybe a bit ambitious when I think about it. Might have to go back to my stitchless design, but I keep hitting brick walls with even that.

OurJud. The onlyiest way I see of doing as you want, is to use a sewing machine that would fit inside the pocket??? Don't know if they make one that small. JMHO Semper-fi Mike

The issue is that you are trying to sew the elastic to the back. You will have very little stretch this way.

My recommendation is to use wide elastic and sew it just like your pic. Cut three slots in the wallet and slide the elastic into the slots. Fold the elastic into the center and glue it in the center only. You will have elastic stretch this way, and it will be secured.

Thanks for all the answers.

Unfortunatley I don't have money to go buying miniture sewing machines (even if they do exist).

electrathon, I think I'm following, but not entirely sure. Are you saying stitch it one piece (as the drawing) but then feed it through slots cut into the other piece and glue the ends together?

It's an idea, but I wanted the elastic hidden between the two pieces of leather. I suppose I could come round the edge of the leather and then through the slots from the back, but then it would be difficult to get my hands in there to glue it.

I think I might take up brain surgery. I'm sure it's far easier than this leather craft lark! I've slept, dreamt, talked, and eaten this damn wallet and I'm sick to the back teeth of it before I've even made it.

Edited by OurJud

OurJud, If you are willing to give up the lap seam, you could approach it as if you sewing in a basic gusset - similar to a satchel or briefcase. Make a small rolled edge with the elastic and join each one to each of the three edges of the leather. Since it's not a lap seam you would have access on both sides to do the stitching. By stitching close to the edge you could limit the size of the reveal (or lip).

Good luck!

Sew it inside out, edge to edge, then turn it the right way out.

I think I must have some form of blindness when it comes to following advice/instructions. Either that or people are not understanding (understandly so) what it is I want to do.

Paulsleather, I can't get my head around what you mean. When you say that by giving up the lap seam I would have access on both sides to do the stitching, how do you mean? The whole point is to avoid stitching the leather pieces to each other, so that they can freely expand on the elastic as you add more cards.

gary, I'm afraid I don't get any of what you say. How do I turn something inside out that needs to be attached on three sides?

Why not glue the elastic as you want it. Then insert a spacer into the card holder to hold it expanded. Then stitch the leather. When it contracts, the stitches will be compacted, as you fill it, they will be stretched?

Why not glue the elastic as you want it. Then insert a spacer into the card holder to hold it expanded. Then stitch the leather. When it contracts, the stitches will be compacted, as you fill it, they will be stretched?

That's a thought, just so long as the glue would hold up to being stretched that far.

Sorry my first post was clear as mud ;)

Let's start with your diagram. Notice how the elastic goes outside the edges of the leather? Why not put it flush to the edge, stitched in place, then fold the elastic to do the same on the other side? The seams would all be on the outside of the card holder accessible front and back for a saddle stitch. You could even lace the edges to cover them. If I'm still unclear I'll make an attempt to load some pictures that would explain better... If I can figure out how to post them. Lol

If it is not possible to sew it the way you have envisaged it, fiddle about until you find a way the pieces will go together to get a result that is possible.

Have a look at the scan below as I have tried to explain my intent.

You will be able to stitch it this way though the pieces of elastic will not be laid in exactly the way you wanted them in the first place.

Be willing to sacrifice a bit of time, leather, elastic and thread to find out what works and what doesn't - that's how most people here have gained their understanding of their craft. All the responses here have given you answers you need if not the answer you want.

FS=Flesh side

GS = Grain side

post-636-0-11209500-1394697132_thumb.jpg

The problem I see with that design is the elastic is still fixed until it gets stretched so you will require a certain number of cards to keep the elastic stretched.

You might want to consider something like chicago screws that will give you a better range of adjustment.

Do you need full length elastic down the sides?

Not necessarily.

Stephen, gary, Tree, thank you also. I think I can see what you're suggesting now, and gary your disagram makes your method much easier to understand.

Edited by OurJud

Here is a picture of what I was describing. I'm using a yellow post-it note as the elastic material. This approach will allow you to access both sides (the leather and the elastic material). Let me know if this clarifies my comment.

post-35245-0-85068300-1394723078_thumb.j

The only solution is to glue and stitch 2 separate pieces of elastic to both sides turned instide out, then stitch the elastic together, possibly with a thin folded trip of leather as a reinforcement and then turn right side out.

That would do the job IF the stitching on the elastic holds.

Cya!

Bob

Here is a picture of what I was describing. I'm using a yellow post-it note as the elastic material. This approach will allow you to access both sides (the leather and the elastic material). Let me know if this clarifies my comment.

Thanks, Paul, I appreciate you going to such lengths to illustrate your method.

Unfortunately (please don't hate me) I only half understand. Your illustration shows how to attach the elastic to one piece of leather, but what about the other piece?

BDAZ, I'm getting slightly embarrassed by this thread now, and have to admit I still don't understand your suggestion.

But look, this is my problem and you've all gone out of your way to try and help (sorry I haven't understood most of your ideas).

I'll just say a big thanks to all of you, but I won't take up any more of your time with this now. Just gonna have to figure it out myself (using the answers already given as a guide :)).

Edited by OurJud

Jud, just imagine a square of leather. Stitch the edge of a wide piece of elastic to the edge of one piece, then do the same with another peice of elastic on the other piece of leather. You are left with two separate pieces of leather with elastic at one edge. Place pieces grain to grain, line up the edges and then run a stitch down the elastic leaving as of a "margin" as required. Fold the two pieces flesh to flesh and voila! Now do this for 3 sides instead of one and you are done! Of course you will have to turn the item inside out at the end instead of folding.

Cya!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

But how can I do the same with the other two edges, after I've stiched the first? The freedom of movement and accessibilty that allowed me to stitch the first edge in place will be lost once I've stitched it.

I'm just not understanding the 'turn it inside out' part or why you think I will have easy access to the other three sides after I've stitched the first.

I'm honestly starting to think I have serious mental and learning issues, as these instructions are obviously making perfect sense to everyone but me.

The one edge is just for an example. In reality you would stitch around the edge on 3 sides then turn the wallet right side out. Simplistico!