Joe, I sew from one end of my belt and make a big circle hiding the backup stitches under the fold of the belt.

Who knows? I wonder if there is some historical actual good reason or if it was just an arbitrary decision by someone that stuck.

Back in the day, servants put on mens battle gear, i.e. belt and sword, armor, etc. Buckle was placed on the right, so servants could use their dominant(right hand) to manipulate the buckle. Similar story for buttons.

When fashionable buttons first came about, only the rich had garments with them and men would dress themselves, so that's why the buttons are on the right. However, women had servants dress them, so buttons are on the left so its easier for the servants.

Edited by Colt W Knight

Joe, I sew from one end of my belt and make a big circle hiding the backup stitches under the fold of the belt.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I should probably do it that way. I"m having some issues with my sewing machine in the transition from one thickness of leather to another. It doesn't really like to go from thick to thin.

Back in the day, servants put on mens battle gear, i.e. belt and sword, armor, etc. Buckle was placed on the right, so servants could use their dominant(right hand) to manipulate the buckle. Similar story for buttons.

When fashionable buttons first came about, only the rich had garments with them and men would dress themselves, so that's why the buttons are on the right. However, women had servants dress them, so buttons are on the left so its easier for the servants.

Thanks for the info Colt! I love this forum because I almost always get to learn something new.

Very nice looking belt, great work Joe. I read this thread, got kind of confused, my chambermaid has never complained about the way I wear my belt, oh durn, I just woke up, was dreaming I had a chambermaid. Oh well, back to the shop.

Chief

Very nice looking belt, great work Joe. I read this thread, got kind of confused, my chambermaid has never complained about the way I wear my belt, oh durn, I just woke up, was dreaming I had a chambermaid. Oh well, back to the shop.

Chief

Hahahaha...Thanks Chief! I could use a chambermaid right about now.

Real nice.

Any trick to centering and spacing the holes?

Edited by thefanninator

Real nice.

Any trick to centering and spacing the hole?

Thank you!

For the buckle tongue I just fold it over and see where the crease is (basically how long is the fold). Then I use calipers to mark in the center of the belt at either end of the crease marks from folding.

I use calipers for marking out pretty much all the holes I am going to punch on the belt. Except the rivets. Those I use a square so I can try to make them as even as possible.

The belt looks good. It seems like myself and my family are always the last ones to get anything made from leather (the cobbler's kids go barefoot). As far as your makers stamp, what really sucks is when you put it on a saddle part upside down. Yep, I know from experience.

The belt looks good. It seems like myself and my family are always the last ones to get anything made from leather (the cobbler's kids go barefoot). As far as your makers stamp, what really sucks is when you put it on a saddle part upside down. Yep, I know from experience.

Thanks! Yeah...when you start making stuff for other people you suddenly become last in line. I guarantee this will not be the last time I put that mark on upside down. Oh well. At least I did it on a belt for me and not a commissioned item.

Thanks! Yeah...when you start making stuff for other people you suddenly become last in line. I guarantee this will not be the last time I put that mark on upside down. Oh well. At least I did it on a belt for me and not a commissioned item.

I made my dad a belt for Christmas last summer, and I tooled his entire name upside down. Didn't catch on til I put the buckle on. Had to remake the whole damn thing.

I made my dad a belt for Christmas last summer, and I tooled his entire name upside down. Didn't catch on til I put the buckle on. Had to remake the whole damn thing.

OUCH! That sucks.

Whoever invented the male-buckle-on-the-right-hand-side-rule, I have to apologize to him (her) for breaking it for nearly 63 years now. And it's not only me, I'm afraid. In the army we all got our belts the wrong way around our tummies. That's probably because we had no maids to help us dress (and undress), therefore the magazine pouches upside down...no ammo...you know how it ended: Today Austria is a flyspeck on the map.

I'm babbling.

Great belt, Joe. I like it a lot!

Encourages me to abandon the Tandy straps and make a double layered belt like you did.

Rudi

Thanks Rudi! You can do it. Although if you hand stitch it expect it to take literally forever. But it can be done no problem.

Hi Joe , Just back from a week of fun and sun with motorcycles, beaches and good friends !

I think there is alot of discussion here about something that has no (real time) merit !

Take comfort,Your belt is a great example of your particular expertise. Rejoice

I like it unconditionally ! Your leather craftsmanship is near flawless !

Thanks Wild Bill...motorcycles, beaches, and friends sounds just about perfect to me!

The discussion was mostly just for kicks. I was curious about the origins of why people do things a certain way.

Thank you for the kind words....but I feel like I have quite a way to go to get to "near flawless." I'm just trying to enjoy the ride.

Joe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Your welcome for the words, you earned them as far as im concerned. although this post may be for kicks. I still admire your work !

Thank you Wild Bill...you are a pretty cool dude.

Yup, after doing something similar once, I now get made fun of for checking and rechecking and rechecking and rechecking the placement of the lettering on a belt before tracing it out when I do a belt with a design or lettering.

I need to start doing that. You can never go slow enough.

Nice belt, Joe...color and edges. I especially like the riveted-on keeper...when compared to screws and snaps, rivets lend sort of a "bespoke" feel to the belt.

Nice belt, Joe...color and edges. I especially like the riveted-on keeper...when compared to screws and snaps, rivets lend sort of a "bespoke" feel to the belt.

Thanks Double! Yeah I don't plan on changing the buckle ever so rivets make the most sense for me. I'll keep on using rivets as standard unless someone askes for snaps or chicago screws.